Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:40:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 567
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 556
Total: 556

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV replication in .. tissue replenishes viral resevoirs  (Read 3016 times)

Offline tryingtostay

HIV replication in .. tissue replenishes viral resevoirs
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:51:15 am »
This brings up a lot of possibilities to approaching a cure, and questions about how the Berlin Patient was cured.  If you would of asked me I could of told you I felt my lymph nodes under my armpits swell up on and off, consistently.  Some of us can feel this, and the fortunate I would say probably don't notice due to a low amount of HIV in their lymph tissue.  How did the Berlin patient reach the "Cured" stage?  Of course we know about the CCR5 mutation that doesn't allow HIV to attach to the immune cells and that Timothy Brown, by science, received this HIV resistant variation.  But if HIV is also in the lymph tissue what destroyed this persistent reservoir?  What got into the tissue to destroy it?  There has been speculation and even tests to recreate this miracle...  Maybe it was resistant killer T cells that recognized the HIV and killed it off... Was it the (correct me if I am wrong) fact that he went through two treatments of Chemo and Radiation therapy that killed off his immune cells?  Here in these two articles they talk about HAART not sufficiently able to keep HIV from replicating in the lymph tissues.  This makes me think.  I'd like to see a combination of the HIV awakening agents with a round of Chemo and Radiation.  Doesn't sound pretty but if it did the job I'd volunteer. 

HIV is still growing, even when undetectable in the blood

Ongoing HIV replication replenishes viral reservoirs during therapy
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 03:09:34 am by tryingtostay »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: HIV replication in .. tissue replenishes viral resevoirs
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 06:15:35 am »
Was it the (correct me if I am wrong) fact that he went through two treatments of Chemo and Radiation therapy that killed off his immune cells? 
Tim went through chemo and radiation for lymphoma, not HIV. Whenever the news of his "cure" is discussed I point out that he was not cured of HIV. His immune system was wiped out and replaced through stem cell transplantation. His "new" immune system had the CCR5 mutation which in essence "eradicated" the HIV. (after the procedures any remaining HIV was not able to infect any tcells and eventually died off unable to replicate) The procedures did not "cure" the HIV.

Of course, the high rates of death with the chemo, with the radiation, and with the stem cell transplant is why this method has not been tried except for a few other times. Tim Brown was pretty lucky to have survived all three procedures - not once but twice! His procedures weren't very pretty and he was left with a lot of health problems afterwards. The only way you would be allowed to volunteer would be for the same reasons Tim was allowed - you'd have to have incurable lymphoma with no other options to stop your approaching death. Otherwise, no medical professional would put a patient at the horribly high risks from death from each of the medical procedures.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Giancarlo

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:04:43 am »
Timothy Brown (aka "the Berlin patient") was treated for leukemia, not lymphoma... But it does not change the rest (nor alter the relevance) of your message!

However the two "Boston patients" were treated for lymphoma and received a bone-marrow transplant (but without the CCR5 mutation, if I remember correctly). They remained HIV-free for a few years but eventually encountered viral rebound.
http://www.nature.com/news/hopes-of-hiv-cure-in-boston-patients-dashed-1.14324
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:15:05 am by Giancarlo »

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 11:16:05 am »
I kindly say that I never implied that he went through chemo and radiation for HIV.  It was for the cancer that developed in his system.  But the links I posted talk about it being in our lymphoid tissue layers.  HIV has also been found in the kidneys of organ donors who had HIV.  The big picture I was point out is that it is in our tissue layers also.  I'm wondering if the chemo & radiation had a part in killing off the HIV in his tissue layers as well as the new immune system ccr5 stem cell transplant.

It kinda sucks that scientists are now finding out it's also in our lymphoid tissue layers as I described most of us can feel our lymph nodes swell at times. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 11:18:57 am by tryingtostay »

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 11:20:00 am »
Timothy Brown (aka "the Berlin patient") was treated for leukemia, not lymphoma... But it does not change the rest (nor alter the relevance) of your message!

However the two "Boston patients" were treated for lymphoma and received a bone-marrow transplant (but without the CCR5 mutation, if I remember correctly). They remained HIV-free for a few years but eventually encountered viral rebound.
http://www.nature.com/news/hopes-of-hiv-cure-in-boston-patients-dashed-1.14324

Yeah, I think I read about that.  Wasn't it like a year later it came back?  And didn't one of them die er something? :(  sad

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.