Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:53:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 219
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Side effect of meds?-fatty tissue above penis-Anyone else?  (Read 32491 times)

Offline burstnbloom

Side effect of meds?-fatty tissue above penis-Anyone else?
« on: September 19, 2006, 03:07:28 pm »
been positive for 15 years and am currently on lexiva,epzicom,and norvir ...over the past few years i have gotten fatty tissue above my penis in the pubic hair region...Just wondering if any one else has this problem and if so what has you doctor told you could be done about it?...any info would be greatly appreciated.
burstnbloom

Offline Jacques

Re: Side effect of meds?-fatty tissue above penis-Anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 12:30:41 am »
Hi Burstnbloom,

I have heard of other guys having the same problem. It is a less frequent form of lipodystrophy. Most frequent forms of fat accumulation on men occur in the belt area or at the rear of the neck( buffalo hump) but in some cases it can build under the belt near the penis.

I don't know if it can be removed by surgery or liposuction.

hoping this helps a bit

Jacques

Jacques
Living positively since 1987
latest lab :july 2010
Undetectable Cd4 1080
43% on Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada

Offline clarke

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 11:19:26 am »
Yeah, I got that to, but thought it was cause I was gettin older (53 next month).  Now I know why I have a "harder"  :D time doin' the "grind" with my better half  ;D

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:28:48 pm »
If it's on the outside of the abdominal muscle, it's prob. age I'm afraid  :'( - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 05:05:38 pm »
thanks guys for the input on my question...will talk with my doctor about this...ONe reply was that if it was on the outside of the abdominal wall that it was probably age...well i am only in my mid 30's and weigh around 148 lbs..so i am slim everywhere except above the penis area..it is really a bit weird..thanks guys!
burstnbloom

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 03:29:51 am »
I said "probably"..lipo is weird and has odd, unusual manifestations, as Jacques notes above (fat accumulation behind the knees, anyone?).  Trouble is, with this kind of expresson yr doc can't tell by looking/prodding. He (she) needs to do a proper diagostic (full body) scan, cos fat redistribution is often on the inside, round abdominal organs, and not always visible.  If you are concerned the fat/groin thing means the start of fat redistribution please push for a proper work-up.  Better to know early, then maybe something can be done to reduce/stop it.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline clarke

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 04:53:07 pm »
Well, is there any way to get rid of it??? :D  :D

I already know what won't work :D !

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 12:42:42 am »
thanks Newt for your feedback..i appreciate your input and will defenitely share this concern with my doctor. The lipo stuff is a major problem that almost everyone on the meds has or has had and i hope something can be done about it soon...later!
burstnbloom

Offline alterman

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2006, 03:20:41 am »
yes yes yes I have the same thing fat accumulating in my pubic area I am 52 years old and been on meds for 16 years zerit ziagen and virocept.

Offline fuziwuzi

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 01:19:06 pm »
I have/had the same issue.  My doctor said it was a symptom of the fat redistribution and that other than trying some other drug combo (which probably wouldn't help) I should simply learn to live with it.  It has nothing to do with age.

I have been off of all meds for 2.5 years and that fat layer has slowly dissipated and now it is nearly gone.  It will probably return, however, since I am about to restart a new drug regimen. 
Never make someone else your whole world when to them you are just an option.

Offline Hard Times

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2007, 01:21:53 pm »
yes i have that too !!  i look at it as a bumper !!!  when you are piledriving someone's ass ,that little cushion softens the blow when you hit bottom !!!!!! ::)
Your Body Is What You Are.
Your Soul Is Who You Are.

Offline Mark E.

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 02:49:46 pm »
ive gotten it havent done anything about it -

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 03:22:19 pm »
 :-[

Nothing has changed since this other post ...

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=3978.msg45034#msg45034

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2007, 02:19:24 pm »
I guess we all know now that pubic lipoma is the new term for this side effect.  I am meeting with my GP on Thursday to get her opinion on having mine removed.  If these are true lipomas, then the apparent best approach is excision rather than liposuction, and from what I have been able to read, if they remove all of the enclosing membrane, it should not recur...

My lipoma has become larger with time and is now about 15cm across, 10 down and about 3-5 deep.  The skin of my pubic area is now distended and feels "full" from the underlying fat.

I will keep you posted on what I learn.

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 06:58:11 pm »
thanks alot for your post tuggem about the pubic lipoma ...i always thought it probably was something to do with that sorta thing. Im glad to hear that others are experiencing it and having something done about it. We all need to make sure our doctors and drug companies know each and every side effect we are having ..no matter how small or big it may be. thanks again and have a great day.
burstnbloom

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 08:24:03 pm »
Thanks!  I will know more after Tuesday when I get the results of my CT scan.  If it is a lipoma as suspected, and if there are no further complications given its huge size, then I am having it cut out.  I will let you know what I learn.

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Safe journeys!

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2007, 01:57:27 pm »
Ok, well...time to punt.  My lipoma turned out not to be discrete...there is no sac surrounding it, from what I am able to gather.   Technically, this means it is not a lipoma per se.   It sounds like this accumulation of fat is just that.  My surgeon is going to review the ct results himself and see me in another two weeks before deciding how to proceed.
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2007, 10:17:49 am »
pubic lipoma

Is it the effects of meds, the virus, or just being Gay, that I read this thread and now have the urge to don a shimmering white dress and gloves, step onto the balcony, and sing "Don't Cry For Me, Argentina"?   ;D

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2007, 11:19:01 am »
Not sure about that, Musclebear...I think you *might* be gay.  ???  You tell me!

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline bertbear

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 06:50:49 pm »
I actually saw this surgery done on an episode of Dr. 90210,

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2007, 10:27:05 am »
The new development is proving to be a problem of finding a surgeon/plastic surgeon who will take on the issue.  Am still working on it.  I would post pictures of this if I could so you could see how abnormal it really is, but then, I don't exactly want my nether regions on the internet working independently of me!

Peace to you all.

R
Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline hudstar

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 12:37:51 pm »
Is a lipoma the same as sebaceous cyst? I had one of those on my back...............man they are nasty! 
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2007, 05:09:15 pm »
Is a lipoma the same as sebaceous cyst? I had one of those on my back...............man they are nasty! 

A sebaceous cyst is completely different.   Typically, my understanding is men often get these going through puberty.   I had a few of them appear suddenly when I was around 17 or so.   Sometimes they just go away, but sometimes not.   They kind of start out like an ingrown hair or zit which latter starts hardening and can continue to grow.   

It freaked me out at the time cause I thought OMG I have testicular cancer or something.  Anyways, went to a dermatologist and he claimed he could do an in office procedure to remove them.   I didn't want to be disfigured so called around and found a plastic surgeon who knew exactly what I was dealing with.  He did a local and removed them and they never came back.

I think what others are describing is more of a fatty layer rather than a cyst.   

Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline tuggem

• 2sides2ron
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2007, 02:32:22 am »
Right.  Normally, a lipoma is under the skin but over the muscle and is enclosed in a sac or membrane as a discrete unit (by definition).  Often, layers or pads of fat that occur in unusual locations on the body are called lipomas when they are not enclosed in a membrane and are not true lipomas by definition.  These are both forms of lipodystrophy and fat redistribution.  In most cases, we see them as a "buffalo hump" or "protease belly", but in some lucky ones of us, they are in the pubic area. Note the sarcasm.  True lipomas are apparently easy to remove where fat pads or layers are more complicated and cause more scarring.

I have found a surgeon willing to remove my pad, but he insists on a plastic surgeon to close the incision due to the size of the incision (over 10 inches in length perhaps) and to remove the excess skin that has grown around the area to accommodate the fat.  There are not as many plastic surgeons here as elsewhere in the US and the ones here have been reluctant to assist for reasons unknown.  I have been trying for 4 months now to just get a referral to talk about it, but nothing has been worked out so far.

Lexiva, Videx EC

Safe journeys!

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2009, 11:30:07 am »
been positive for 15 years and am currently on lexiva,epzicom,and norvir ...over the past few years i have gotten fatty tissue above my penis in the pubic hair region...Just wondering if any one else has this problem and if so what has you doctor told you could be done about it?...any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just an update that i had a larger fat sack removed from the pubic region however, fat has came back in the same area...and it appears on liposuction would be possible to remove the new build up. gees here i go again.
burstnbloom

Offline frankt

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »
i have the hump,the belly,the pubic thing,and large hard lumps of fat behind my ears. oh yeah and the large fat bag on front of neck as well as back of neck. blew off a funeral today cause I cant button any shirt around my neck.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 12:49:26 am »
Hey Frank,

Regarding the humps, bumps and lumps, ditto. I was getting dressed this morning and discovered the extra large shirt I bought because of the neck won't button.

I thought maybe it was my imagination, because it seemed the hump and neck were diminishing.

But, they seem to be back again - with a vengeance.

Sorry to hear you are in the same boat.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline frankt

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 06:16:52 am »
Mark, check the back of your neck in mirror. The fat sneaks up there without you noticing.
On another note Ralph makes an extra large dress shirt that on good days i can button. Large and Tall has a low quality dress shirt with a 25 inch neck that fits me snug but the body of the shirt is like a tent.

Offline burstnbloom

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2009, 09:15:25 pm »
All of these fat distribution issues are disturbing..when are the pharm companies gonna fess up that their pills are destroying our bodies and our "normal" lives.  Enough is Enough...God bless and keep on living!
burstnbloom

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 05:34:27 pm »
beats being dead though

Offline buffaloboy

« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2010, 04:53:55 pm »
beats being dead though

The trouble is, that this is the pharmaceutical industry and doctors answer to all of these troublesome side effects. I do find it alarming that after nearly 15 years of these drugs being prescribed many people still suffer directly from take the tablets.

Yes, anything is better than being dead, but I would like to see far more research and effort going into modifying the drugs so that we, as patients, no longer have to live in fear of what can be quite devastating side effects.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.