Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:34:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 524
Total: 527

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tested Positive on Finger prick Rapid test  (Read 7153 times)

Offline makjey

Tested Positive on Finger prick Rapid test
« on: December 09, 2013, 08:14:54 am »
It was a routine voluntary HIV testing sessions that my employer sets up every 6 months or so ( 05th December 2013). I went in did a finger prick test with the clinical nurse on TWO rapid tests by two different manufacturers.While i waited we chatting casually over her giving me her rehearsed counseling speech, after a few minutes she then told me i tested POSITIVE. Reeling from the shock i stormed out and could feel my world spin.I then left work and got into my car and rushed to the nearest clinic where i did another finger prick rapid test, that one turned out NEGATIVE, still shaking and distraught  i demanded another finger prick test and the nurse visibly annoyed at this stage did another one, initially it was clear but after a few minutes a VERY FAINT T line appeared. She then said it is possibly positive but to my eyes i could not see this faint line. Possibly i am in denial But have gone to have blood drawn to run other test (i,e Western Blot).

My sexual history:I am a 26 year old gay male. I had not had any sexual intercourse for the first half of the year ( January till June 2013). I then met my partner in July 2013 and we got tested together during that time ( August 2013) and we were both NEGATIVE plus he is also on PrEP. We had protected anal sex numerous times  but i have perform oral on him with him ejaculation in my mouth.

As far as i know we are both monogamous but in hindsight that is probably not true at this point.

I am extremely worried and at this point and i know it is possibly positive, I've experience what seemed like ARS symptoms two weeks prior to testing ( sore throat,swollen lymph glands, headache and a slight fever).

i am conflicted as i am not sure that my partner is telling the truth about him not having any sexual contact with anyone unprotected while we've been togather.

All i can do is sit and wait while the inevitable comes.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Tested Positive on Finger prick Rapid test
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:52:54 am »
You need to be posting in the, "Am I Infected Forum."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:43 am »
If your western blot comes back positive I will move your thread back to just tested poz .

If I'm reading your post correctly you have consistently used condoms for anal sex . If that is the case them its highly unlikely you are HIV positive and highly likely you have had a false positive HIV test . The only thing to do now is to wait for the conclusive western blot test , then you will know .

Please read the posting guidelines for this forum so that you know to post in this thread only and that you get 3 free questions . Please save your third post to come back and tell us you do not have HIV . Best wishes .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline makjey

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 06:27:09 am »
Got the confirmatory results back and i am unfortunately HIV POSITIVE with a VL of 145431, waiting on my CD4 count results.Did not come as a shock though i am still sad in ways i cannot express in words.This still does not add up, i was in what i thought was a monogamous relationship for 2 years and never had sex without a condom perhaps i did other things that put me at right of contracting the desease.Im trying to find ways to be able to deal with this.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 06:35:47 am »
I moved your thread into I just tested Positive . Welcome to the forums .

Im sorry your test came back positive, the important thing is you now know and it can be treated if need be . Did your doctor discuss medications with you ?   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline makjey

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 07:59:52 am »
He suggested that if my CD4 count is below 500 i should consider treatment. We discussed Atripla as an option.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »
makjey; 

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but welcome.  Your reactions are very normal - I recall leaving the testing office in a blurr.  The good news is that you found out relatively early and it sounds like you have good medical care.

Best, JM

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline makjey

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 02:53:58 pm »
Jmarksto;

I refuse to let this break me, i choose life . I am worried about my job though as this will restrict me in ways i cannot imagine. I am worried about my relationships with those close to me and not close to disclosing this to them yet.however I will make the necessary life adjustments and put my health first.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.