Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:07:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV CURE.........not so easy as they thought  (Read 7197 times)

Offline buginme2

HIV CURE.........not so easy as they thought
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:33:01 pm »
Anyway, Johns Hopkins just published a study yesterday that the whole "reservoir issue" is worse than previously thought and due to this a "cure" for HIV is a lot further away than previously thought.

:(

There is always a silver lining and in this case I think it can help with further drug development.  It seemed as though with all the cure talk lately that new treatments had been put on the back burner.  Hopefully they can continue working on better treatments.

http://www.fiercebiotech.com/story/hopkins-study-reports-setback-hivaids-cure/2013-10-25

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: HIV CURE.........not so easy as they thought
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:10 pm »
Not as easy as they thought ... snickers to self .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 01:08:07 pm »
...There is always a silver lining and in this case I think it can help with further drug development.  It seemed as though with all the cure talk lately that new treatments had been put on the back burner.  Hopefully they can continue working on better treatments...

Hey Bug,

While the news about the cure is disappointing, I do not think it is fair to characterize that new treatments are not being pursued, simply because there is work also being done on a possible cure.  Drugs take years to reach markets and for every one that makes it, there are another dozen or so that do not make it.  With all the new drugs that have come onto the market, it would seem that treatment research is fairly constant.

I realize the HIV funding is finite, however, we do not have to claim that searching for a cure, is somehow detrimental to further treatment development.

Joe

Offline Tadeys

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 01:55:20 pm »

This news is not so new --Siciliano's team poster-published these findings in March of this year at some conference-- nor is this a surprise really to those in the field.  It just shows that the shock and kill approach is going to be somewhat dificult in and of itself without a therapeutic vaccine or some other help; Siliciano suggested this last year when he used a therapeutic vaccine with some shock and kill drug.
http://www.hiv-reservoir.net/index.php/the-news/353-hiv-reservoir-larger-than-previously-estimated.html

I kind of got a little depressed after reading this yesterday and got me thinking.  And then I remembered reading last month on how an antifungal med was used to induce apoptosis of viraly infected HIV cells and how it erradicated the reservoir in vitro...since there was no viral rebound 90 after stopping the medication; this has never been seen. I read the whole article last night (Drug-Induced Reactivation of Apoptosis Abrogates HIV-1 Infection) .Basically, this team at Rutgers is focusing on meds that induce apopotosis (cellular suicide) of HIV infected cell; this is diferent from the Shock and Kill approach. And this is somewhat similar to what was done a few months ago by Dr.  andrea Saravino and his team when they functionally cured monkeys: "adding to antiretroviral therapy two existing drugs, i.e. the gold salt auranofin and the chemosensitizing agent buthionine sulfoximine (BSO), an Italian and American research team, led by Dr. Andrea Savarino at the Italian NIH (www.iss.it), observed, after therapy suspension, a drug-free remission of the disease in the macaque AIDS model (i.e. the animal model most closely resembling human AIDS)." These drugs attack the infected cell instead of attacking the virus. It should be noted that Dr. Savarino had given up on Shock and Kill approach a few years ago.
 http://www.hiv-reservoir.net/index.php/the-news/430-drug-free-remission-of-aids-in-monkeys.html

Both Andrea Saravino and the team at Rutgers talk also about a form of auto vaccination that occurs when these viraly infected cells are killed en mass. This is new and fascinating. This mass killing of infected cells gets the immune system to kill HIV infected cells. These drugs are creating a therapeutic vaccine scenario in the body just by using medication.

The paper I read yesterday also gives some very promising information on a proof-of-concept trial that a co-autor --Saxena-- headed in South Africa using another apoptosis inducing medication(DEF) on HIV patients. The findings are unpublished thus far. Don't know why. But from what I read, the results seem big.

The following is some clips of information on the trail:
"In vivo, absent rebound is a rare event, achieved only by total lymphoid tissue ablation with subsequent transplantation of HIV-1 resistant CCR5n32/n32 stem cells [194,195], by complementing cART with hydroxyurea [148], or by very early start of cART [1]. Importantly, absent re-acquisition of pre- treatment HIV-1 RNA levels was also noted after DEF monotherapy in the proof-of-concept trial (Saxena et al., unpublished data)."

More info:
"To determine whether any productively infected cells survived the suppressive effect of CPX monotherapy, we examined the possibility of viral resurgence following withdrawal of drug. Cultures were maintained for extended post-treatment observation periods and monitored for the re-emergence of HIV-1 RNA (Fig. 7, period 3). Strikingly, after drug cessation (asterisk in Fig. 7) HIV-1 infection did not recur during post-treatment observation periods extending up to 90 days. Similar results were obtained in repeated experiments (not shown). DEF likewise produced off- drug suppression and consistent with apoptotic ablation of infected cells, reduced HIV-1 DNA to the limit of detection (Saxena et al., unpublished data). By contrast, monotherapy with standard antiretrovirals (including zidovudine, lamivudine, nevirapine, delavirdine, loviride, tenofovir, ritonavir, indinavir, saquinavir, stavudine, festinavir, didanosine, or emitricitabine [108,109]) uniformly fails to delay resurgence of HIV-1 production for more than 3 days off drug, despite an initial report that HIV-1 ‘‘became negative’’ [110]. Marked reduction of HIV-1 RNA without off-drug resurgence requires combination of several of these antiretrovirals [104–106].
We conclude that the apparent functional sterilization of HIV- infected primary cultures treated with CPX or DEF correlates with the preferential apoptotic ablation of HIV-infected cells, and thus the destruction of the proviral reservoir, by each of these drugs."

And then again:

"In a double-blinded proof-of-concept trial, a one week- course of oral DEF caused an acute zidovudine-like reduction of viral load in individuals who attained the threshold serum level of the drug, defined according to the concentrations required in culture for inhibition of HIV-1 gene expression and induction of apoptosis in infected cells as documented here and elsewhere [22,23]. The viral load reduction persisted throughout seven weeks of monitoring AFTER cessation of DEF (Saxena et al., unpublished data). These data suggest that medicinal activation of apoptosis in pathogenic infected cells is a viable antiviral strategy, for which we propose the term ’therapeutic reclamation of apoptotic proficien- cy’ (TRAP). Related approaches using recombinant protein constructs rather than small molecules, have been tested against several viruses in cell culture and a mouse model [118,119]. We infer that the TRAP concept has general applicability for the termination of viral infections."

Why awaken the bee hive when it can be set on fire? 

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetchObject.action?uri=info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0074414&representation=PDF

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:31:01 pm »
Hey Bug,

While the news about the cure is disappointing, I do not think it is fair to characterize that new treatments are not being pursued, simply because there is work also being done on a possible cure.  Drugs take years to reach markets and for every one that makes it, there are another dozen or so that do not make it.  With all the new drugs that have come onto the market, it would seem that treatment research is fairly constant.

I realize the HIV funding is finite, however, we do not have to claim that searching for a cure, is somehow detrimental to further treatment development.

Joe

I want saying that due to funding.  I know research takes years. However, if you look at the drug dependent pipeline while there are a few compounds in phase two and three research there are not many new phase one studies to research new drug compounds.  There has been a reduction in hiv drug research as of late.  Hopefully, witha greater understanding that no, hiv is not being cured next week, the need of new compounds can be realized.

Offline GoForIt

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 02:58:57 pm »
Technically this is a good thing.  More information is always better.  The more information the have about this virus the more they can understand it.  So its not going to be "easy".  It will take some real smart people to beat this.  But the more we know the better chance we have.
08/09/2013  Diagnosed WB positive
08/20/2013  CD4-506(28%)  VL-10,800
09/12/2013  CD4-391(28%)  VL-14,900
09/17/2013  Start ART (Truvada + Tivicay)
10/11/2013  CD4-377(26%)  VL-UD
12/20/2013  CD4-590(??%)  VL-UD
03/18/2014  CD4-660(29%)  VL-UD
07/22/2014  CD4-613(29%)  VL-UD
08/01/2014   Start Phase 3 TAF (Truvada 2.0) Clinical Trial (TAF + Tivicay)
10/09/2014  CD4-498(29.5%) VL-UD
11/06/2014  CD4-600(30.2%) VL-UD
01/30/2015  CD4-529(31.3%) VL-UD
07/25/2015  CD4-742(36.5%) VL-UD
10/06/2015  CD4-765(28.9%) VL-UD
01/05/2016  CD4-907(33.1%) VL-UD
03/24/2016  CD4-770(33.5%) VL-UD
06/20/2016  CD4-850(35.4%) VL-UD

Dr. Mark Wainberg on Dolutegravir:
Video 1: https://youtu.be/wCXOgLJqJAY
Video 2: https://youtu.be/DKiaD7fHO-s

Offline geobee

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 08:24:15 pm »
I've always thought the "shock and kill" approach to be a little iffy.  I mean, all it takes is one little virion to reignite the infection.  In a few weeks you could have a high VL and you're back where you started.

My money is on that guy in Oregon -- Picker? -- who's working with the CMV cross-bred with HIV.  Seems to me we're going to need a virus, such as CMV, that spreads to all parts of the body that is constantly priming us with antibodies to wipe out HIV.

PS -- don't say it often but I like this forum a lot.  Check it every day!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 09:41:10 pm »
Technically this is a good thing.  More information is always better.  The more information the have about this virus the more they can understand it.  .

I agree with this. While disappointing, this "reservoir issue" being more difficult than previously thought, can move us forward and allow us to look at other avenues or more novel ways to attack the reservoirs. ANY new discoveries in this field is progress.

-Will (disappointed but hopeful)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:13:09 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Hoyland

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 10:06:11 pm »
Though this news is disappointing all is not lost. While HIV may hide away in the DNA of more cell than was originally known about, the new treatments being trialled by Calimmune and the CoH are both DNA based. So while the virus may be able to initiate replication from within more cells, so to the treatment is constantly being produced in the body. This means that if these new treatments work, they have the potential to prevent re-infection without the need for further mediation. This means that the size of the reservoir would have no impact on the outcome of the treatment.

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 07:59:42 am »
we can still live on meds,and meds are getting better (period).
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 01:43:08 pm »
Technically this is a good thing. 

Way to make lemonade out of a lemon.

There is always a silver lining.  I absolutely agree that all research even the ones that show something doesn't work move the science forward and in the long run can be beneficial. 

Even after thirty plus years there is still a lot we/they don't know about this virus. 

Personally, I think all the cure talk over the past year may have got ahead of itself.

Offline Zoob626

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 06:17:04 pm »
 :o after more than 30 years  and now thy say its not so easy as they thought !!!
WE knows its not so easy  ;D We need smart researchers to eradicate HIV not some news after many many years thy say  :-[ not so easy at we thought

:D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.