Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:49:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 605
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hope our British friends are holding up in the rain  (Read 3256 times)

Offline Jody

Hope our British friends are holding up in the rain
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:57:41 pm »
I've been seeing on the World News that our friends in Great Britain are being hit very hard by tons of rain and the ensuing flooding...I know they are used to wet weather but this is the most in 60 years and there are many problems including, cruelly enough, a lack of drinking water...So here's hoping that Ann, Cliff, Newt, Manchester and anyone else I may be leaving out are staying dry and have everything they need.

Jody  :(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Basquo

Re: Hope our British friends are holding up in the rain
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 08:14:41 pm »
...and welcome home Melia!!

As a soaked Texan, my thoughts are for our British friends.  The flooding I saw on the TV is very reminiscent of what my area went through a few weeks ago, and what is happening to my extended family in West Texas after the desert flooding this past weekend.

Thanks Jody!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 09:00:58 pm »
Yes Jody keeping them all in my thoughts, it's so bad over there at the moment..it seems every time I listen to the news it's nothing but bad news weather wise.. huge floods everywhere.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 06:07:31 am »
Hey Jody, thanks for thinking of us!

We've had plenty of rain on the Rock, but not as much as the mainland and (touch wood) no flooding.

While I feel really bad for all those people in the Midlands who are without water and electricity (not to mention the damage done to their property), I just want my summer back. It's rarely above 60/62F (15/16C) and I'm tired of having to wear a jacket in July. It's sunny today, but there's a brisk northerly blowing and it's cold. Cold for July, anyway.

Melia, has your cottage in the sun been rented out yet? I think I'm ready to head south!

I hope none of our forum members are being affected by the flooding in the UK, but I don't suppose we'll know until electricity is restored over there.

Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline carousel

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 06:40:05 am »
It just sunk in yesterday how bad this situation is.  All we've had in London is rain, lots of it. 

You go to work in morning not knowing whether you need a t-shirt, a thick coat, a boat or wellies.

What is really getting on my nerves is the pundits on the News, trying to blame the Government for the Rain.  Blame Climate Change.  It's rain, lots of it, lots and lots.

Anyway, everybody's talking about it, which we all know the British love talking about the weather ad nauseam.

Offline gemini20

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 09:30:41 am »
My twin sister lives in a small village outside Worcester and it's been a bloody nightmare.

She was taking her husband to the hospital on Friday (car ran in the back of his) and en route they got stuck in a flooded lane, had to abandon the car and got rescued by some one in a 4x4. Never made it to the hospital as all roads into Worcester were inaccessible; husband seems to be okay thankfully.

Their home is okay as it's up a hill but all roads out from where they live were either blocked with flood water or landslides which have followed the flooding. She says they eventually found a route through on Sunday but it was something like a 30 mile detour and then everyone was panic buying in the shops so food ran out!

I was dog-sitting for them a week before the rains came and drove through Cheltenham and Gloucestershire (two of the most affected areas); it's hard to believe that a week later the area is submerged.

Thankfully although London had some flash flooding following rain last Friday it's currently blue skies and sunshine here.

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 09:55:57 am »
I'm with Ann.  I want my damn summer!!!!  April was so nice and it went downhill after that.  Although today is turning out to be a nice day.  I'm sick of rain.  I'm sick of clouds.  I'm sick of gray skies.

London didn't flood much (not that I know of).  I didn't even know how bad the situation was until yesterday.

Forcast for tomorrow.  Rain.

::)

Offline northernguy

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:52:49 am »
Hang in there, as Annie said "the sun will come out tomorrow" :)

We just broke a record for the most consecutive days of rain in July (7) but thankfully no flooding.
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 11:10:17 am »
Just stay safe ya' all.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:46:29 pm »
Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.  There hasn't really been any flooding near me this summer but the weather has certainly been strange in Europe.  It's been close to 40 degrees in Bulgaria they are having forest fires there yet it seems to rain and flooding constantly here!  My thoughts are definitely with people in the midlands who have been hit hard by the flooding.

Chris

Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 02:43:19 pm »
thanks everyone for the thoughts

where i live we got the first lot of flooding that mainly affected the north a couple of weeks ago and thought that was bad but in retrospect it seems we got off pretty lightly. it is all very odd and most unwelcome, I WANT MY SUNSHINE!!!

What is really getting on my nerves is the pundits on the News, trying to blame the Government for the Rain.  Blame Climate Change.  It's rain, lots of it, lots and lots.
i was particularly delighted when the leader of our local council went on local tv and said words to the effect of 'to all you who dont believe in climate change, this is what we were talking about...'
EXACTLY! for once a politician who made sense  ;)
BTW i read only a couple of months ago that the detrimental climate change most likely to affect the UK was flash flooding, so apparently this is what we have to get used to

best wishes to anyone who is suffering xxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:39:03 pm »
Aww thanks from me too for the thoughts folks. :-*

We're actually pretty dry here up in Manchester...amazingly...normally it's piddling kittens and puppies here! In fact it's 8.30pm right now and the sun's still out! 8)

Thanks for the welcome back Creighton. :-* And Ann, don't you dare bugger off abroad now woman...not now I've come back to Blighty! :P

Melia 8)
(who is actually relieved to no longer be melting in the 40+ degrees of Greek sun)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.