Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:03:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 438
Total: 440

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dazedd and confused  (Read 9172 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Dazedd and confused
« on: April 20, 2007, 07:52:41 pm »
OK, I should probably post this in the treatment thread, but I would rather post it here.

I have been researching the various meds to which I could switch. My goal is to avoid worsening lipodystrophy, specifically the lipohypertrophy.

If it weren't for that, I wouldn't switch because these meds have served me well for more than a decade.

That said, the only meds I can find that don't include the caveat about lipodystrophy are the NNRTIs and Reyataz (Atazanavir).

While the Reyataz doesn't sound too bad, the NNRTIs don't sound very nice. Or course, I could be reading more into their descriptions than is really there. I know people who take them and are doing well. I also know some who took them and became psychotic (sustiva).

My current regimen is AZT, 3TC (Epivir) and Crixivan, which is a regimen I'm sure at least some of you are familiar with.

So, anyone have any advice?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline allanq

Re: Dazedd and confused
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 10:36:35 pm »
Mark,

If you are afraid of psychological side effects, you might consider Viramune, instead of Sustiva. Also, from what I've read, Viread is less associated with lipodystrophy than other NRTI's. I notice from Joe's entry in the "Introduce Yourself" thread that he is on Viramune and Truvada, and that combo is working for him. Viramune is also less likely than Sustiva to cause an increase in cholesterol.

Just something to consider.

Allan

Offline ademas

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 11:03:35 pm »
The progression stopped for me--even improved a bit--as soon as I stopped PI's (particularly Crixivan & Norvir).
I've been on Sustiva & Combivir for years now. 
I just wish I'd been able to get off the PI's before the damage was done.

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 12:48:42 am »
From what my doc told me, there is no guarantee that once one stops meds that might be the culprit in lipo problems that the progression will stop or reverse.  In fact, most if not all AIDS meds have the lipo warning associated with them.  Whether that's to stop lawsuits, or whether ALL AIDS drugs have to the potential to cause lipo, we may never know.   I do know that in my case, all my docs do not want me to stop taking PIs because they are part of the drug combos that fight AIDS.  It's better to have lost the fat, then to have lost my life.   The only thing one can do is switch to drugs that offer a better chance of avoiding the problem, while at the same time getting the undetectable viral load.

My lipo problems started on the combination of Fortovase, Epivir, Zerit, and Videx.    I switched to Reyataz, Norvir, Viramune, and Epzicom combination . . . which of course did not help any in eliminating the lipo - and I still experience it - especially in my butt.   I have to continue to take Epivir because of the 'mutation' - so even though Epivir might also be attributed to lipo, I can't stop taking that one. 

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:34:21 am »
Mark,

You asked for advice and I will give you what I would do in your position.

WAIT until the new class of drugs come out this year, as they are supposed to be like magic for us LTS.  I really know nothing about them, but my Doctor is holding off until then in the hopes that we can start a whole new approach to this HAART thingy.

I guess the new drugs are a whole new class and have not been used in the past, so while you would once again enter the guinea pig state if mind, there is every hope that they do what the tests are showing, and that is huge efficacy for us, specifically.

Love,

« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 06:37:57 am by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline whizzer

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 08:54:57 am »
Mark,

Tibotec is soon to start clinical trials of a new medication for lipoatrophy- primarily directed at visceral fat deposition.  It is a medication that is supposed to stimulate your production of human growth hormone, without all the negative side effects of HGH supplements.  I don't know the name of the study just yet.  I only found out about it recently. 

I don't know if there will be an investigational site anywhere near you, but it might be worth keeping an eye out for it.  I'll let you know when I find out more.

-Whiz

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2007, 02:42:37 pm »
Mark,

I think I agree with Tim, hang on if you can for just a bit, and let's see what comes along.   I am on the same combo as Joe, Viramune and Truvada.   It is working well for me, but I firmly believe Truvada is the culprit in much of my gastro-related issues.

Wouldn't it be great to just take a combo that had NO side effects???   My main heart medication, Coreg, is a wonderful drug that makes my heart pump better and more efficiently, and I can't tell that it has any side effects.   If only I could be so lucky with HIV meds.....

hugs,
Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 04:38:34 pm »
Well, even though I hold hope with these new meds coming out you still can't predict what you'll find in terms of lipo with them in five years.

As far as Truvado and gastro, I'm on it and Pancrecarb tames the flatulence. 

Otherwise as I've stated before, fuzeon and prezista as a combo seem to have no side effects, but most of you don't want to approach an injectable for that trade off.  Understandable, and I'd be lying if I said that I'm not considering switching to one of these new meds coming out at some point.  I just don't think I will immediately if I do not need to, preferring to wait another year and see what others say about side effects.  I'll let others be the guinea pigs for now.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 06:06:19 pm »
Hi Mark,

I think you've already done your homework as far as options with currently available meds go.  I seem to recall that you did not do well with Norvir boosting in the past.  If that's the case, then unboosted Reyataz (400 mg/day) might be an option if you do not want to go the NNRTI route.  You could still combine this with the Combivir, or you could switch the NRTIs to Epzicom (abacavir/3TC).  Unfortunately, if you cannot do Norvir boosting with Reyataz, you cannot combine this with Truvada, so that narrows the option somewhat.

If you've never had any problems with resistance, then thinking of a switch now to curtail further side effects is a reasonable option.  The newer drugs closer to the finish line would still be there in case you need to go this route down the road.

Gerry

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.