Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:36:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Denied by HASA....should I try for foodstamps and disability on my own?  (Read 4159 times)

Offline unclebobny

I originally posted back in September and got some useful information.

Here's my "Updated" situation:

I’m 52 years old, HIV+ since 1995, and have an AIDS diagnosis. My current numbers (t-cells, viral load) are pretty good. My general health is just "ok" but I have several issues: both hips replaced, and a long history of depression and anxiety for which I am being treated.

It's been over 3 years since I was downsized from a lucrative job and have been unable to find work since.  I’ve run through my Severance, unemployment, Cobra, and cash assets and am now on Medicaid.

For cash, I began to draw on my Home Equity Line of credit. Once I got near the credit limit I started drawing from an IRA (which incurs a 10% penalty) and getting some cash monthly from my father. I'm making monthly payments on the Home Equity line on which I now owe about $70,000! Fortunately, the interest rate is not usurious.  :-(

This situation doesn't cut it on a number of levels. At the behest of friends who kept telling me to get HASA I finally went for an intake and was indeed found to be eligible. I got a case worker too. But then I had to meet with someone to go over my finances. They told me that I do not qualify because of the IRA accounts. I've been unable to find the actual "HASA Guidelines" online, but the HASA people insisted that they do count such things as IRAs & Primary Residence while Medicaid doesn't if you are below 65.

According to my November Social Security Statement, I have enough credits for Disability Benefits ($2700/month) and Retirement. Taking a smaller amount from my IRA + $2700 of disability would be enough to live on without depleting my retirement accounts.

So (sorry for being so verbose), I'm now asking what's the best way to go about applying for disability? Should I try the first time myself? Is there any group besides HASA that can assist in this? How about food stamps....would I qualify?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Denied by HASA....should I try for foodstamps and disability on my own?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:04:53 am »
Food stamps usually count retirement accounts also.  To be truthful, I probably wouldn't even mention it when I applied.  As far as disability, I would try to get it based on mental rather than physical.  If your numbers are stable and the only other thing physically you have going is two hip replacements, it is doubtful SSA will find you "physically" disabled even though you may feel like it.  I'm not saying that's my thoughts about your physical situation, I just am very familiar with how tight SSA has gotten.  People usually have an easier time attempting to get disability on mental disabilities rather than physical. 

Sometimes ASO's will help with applying for disability and other social programs, I don't know where you live but you may want to contact the nearest one and ask.  Otherwise there are disability lawyers but they usually only get involved when you get denied, and then only if they believe they can win your case.

I'm not trying to discourage you from applying but only telling you how things seem to be going lately.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Denied by HASA....should I try for foodstamps and disability on my own?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:30:58 am »
I'm linking back to your original post to answer your questions about applying for SSDI.

Yes, you should first apply for SSDI online yourself (many lawyers won't take you if and until you are denied in the first round).  You can do it yourself online.  It does not take long and is not difficult:  the application will get you in the system and protect your rights to an SSDI entitlement.

The link below provides a summary of info provided to you previously.  You need to move on this, since there are timeframes in which your Social Security credits for SSDI expire.

https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=64018.msg712374#msg712374
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline LiveWithIt

Look into special rules for people over 50 getting SSD it's easier to get.  I think there are law firms that will take your case for free and they get paid by SS.

And yes go to your local social security office and apply on your own.  You may be instantly eligible for SSI which would give Medicaid and Food Stamps/EBT card, but for Food Stamps I don't know the limits, but it's also based on your expenses such as mortgage ore rent and medical costs.   Don't tell them that anyone helps you buy groceries or they will use that against you to lower how much you get don't tell them you have any life insurance or they will make you cash it in. 

Try to talk to some friends who may be on it, or a local support group.

Also there is the Ryan White program in my are it's run thru AHF which is the Aids Healthcare foundation and they have Food banks or info on where to find one  to help you too. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 09:52:50 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.