Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:27:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 304
Total: 305

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: some advice please?  (Read 5555 times)

Offline john_doe

some advice please?
« on: March 11, 2016, 05:10:59 pm »
Hello I found this forum through Google. Mu partner is positive we found out a year and a half ago. I am really concerned with his mental health. On a regular basis he appears to get unwell but not in the usually way I hope I can try to write this and explain it properly. It will start with a blocked nose/sinus type symptoms with an upset tummy along with it can come high levels of anxiety, shakiness and change in behavior where my partner can become paranoid constantly checking the phone, computer and my phone. There was one episode of this and it was a bad one so much so that I didn't know what to do and paramedics had to come out (he wouldn't sleep was paranoid repetitive behaviour, unable to speak properly and very confused) anyway his meds were then changed from Atripla to Epivir in November. He hadn't had any of these symptoms again so I definitely thought it was the medication causing it but for the last couple of months it's started again. I have tried to speak to him about it but he brushes it off but I think he should deal with this issue now before it gets worse.

Does anyone have any advice or own experiences like this they know of?

Thank you

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: some advice please?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 05:45:39 pm »
Hi

Welcome to the forum.

I have moved your thread to "Someone I Care About Has HIV " you can post here and in "Off Topic" .

I'm sorry to hear what you are going though with your partner. Can I ask did he report this to his ID Doctor I only ask as you mentioned a change in his meds ?  Is he getting any type of counseling or support at the moment ? Do you go with him to his appointments ?

The problem is and I know this first hand is it's very difficult to help someone who is brushing off the issues and refusing help. And without seeing a Doc or Professional and/or both it's difficult to say what the exact cause is of the behavioral issues.
I mean the meds he is on Lamivudine could alter his mood. (Depression) but that's not to say it's the case or cause and he would need to talk to someone.

What i would do but that's just me is, I would start by picking a moment when he is not having any problems and discuss with him in a frank but caring manner that you are concerned for him and want to make sure he's okay. In the mean time keep a journal to track of any incidents, and if you are close to any family see what they think and if they can assist. Talk to your own Doctor if possible and raise the concerns see what advice he/she can give you and in the meantime don't forget to look after yourself.

Jim.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 06:09:37 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline john_doe

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 06:14:00 pm »
Hi Jim thank you very much for your reply. I will be speaking to him about it tomorrow as we both can't go on like this. He did allow me to go to his appointments with him but not anymore again I think it's because I have brought up this issue before and it has been swept under the carpet. I do believe unfortunately with doctors a lot of the time you really have to press for issues to he addressed. He doesn't want any Councelling or to speak to anyone but me about this  (family and friends don't know about his status) again thanks for your advice I will make sure we can get things improving

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 06:28:22 pm »
Hi

Well I wish you all the best tomorrow and hope that he can see you are bringing this up for his own good.

My experience is the same with Doctors that you do indeed have to push the Doctors for results and action.  I have had experience (not HIV related) with family members who had either Mental or Physical problems and refused any help, So I know how hard it can be as the loved one trying to help them and getting them to see it for their own good.

Again wishing you all the best and as said before make sure you look after yourself as well. 

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline AusShep

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 12:18:30 am »
John, are you certain your partner is taking his meds, and do you know his last bloodwork results?  Do you know his numbers at diagnosis?  Has he had any opportunistic infections?  I'm asking as there are some causes that can be physical, which I've personally dealt with, not just depression or psychological only.

I'd push for an ID doctor appointment, and you need to be in the room to explain what's going on.  Make it for him and take him there yourself if you have to.

Offline john_doe

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 03:06:54 am »
Hi Aus thanks for the reply. Yes he definitely takes his medication he has from the start of being prescribed taken them religiously at the same time every day. The last time I was present at an appt his blood work came back undetectable and has been that way for over a year now his cd4 count is fine there has been Dips when he's had the flu. Numbers at diagnosis were cd4 of 190 and vl of 30,000. 

Offline AusShep

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 08:44:31 pm »
Well that's good news, it's probably not one of the scarier medical issues.  I'd still talk it over with his regular ID Dr and try to get a referral to a psychologist or psychiatrist.  He may need some non-HIV meds to help out.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.