Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:09:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 141
Total: 141

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Good fat, exercise and Lipo (facial and stomach)  (Read 9518 times)

Offline egello

• cb
Good fat, exercise and Lipo (facial and stomach)
« on: February 13, 2007, 03:05:30 am »
Hi

Is "good" fat ok to eat for someone starting to show signs of facial as well as stomach related Lipo?

I mean good quality butter, fat from good quality meat and fish mostly.

So I am bit confused. In terms of exercise, should I concentrate mostly on cardio to prevent any fat accumulation in my stomach or should I concentrate on building muscle and try to preserve the fat as I have it now.

When stomach Lipo occurs, does the fat accumulation something that you can grab as large chunk of fat? or does it occur below your ab muscles because when I harden my abs, the amount of fat I can grab is similar to the amount in other part of my body.
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline mjmel

Re: Good fat, exercise and Lipo (facial and stomach)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 07:01:57 am »
Sounds like a good question for Philly267. He seems to be very knowledgeable on this subject. I'm sure there will be others., too.
 I want to know, as well.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 10:46:54 am »
Unfortunately no nice simple answer to your question.....I am not sure there is any "good fat"  that helps restore your lost fat.....Overall nutrition with healthy foods should provide what you need and the "normal" fat layer builds itself.....however this virus seems to interrupt the process...some people with meds get all kinds of symptoms...fat loss, stomach gain, humps, and other manifestations...  others with and without meds seem to more or less of the same problems......most common seems to be the facial wasting..and skinny arms/legs/butt.......good nutrition and exercise helped me regain some definition and some others have managed to keep/gain significant muscle  ( see GSO gymrat)   A little experimentation on your part will help ...so far good food ( go easy on the butter..fatty meats) and vigorous exercise hasn't seemed to be a problem for anyone
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline bobino

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 03:58:40 am »

Re:  the fat on your stomach.  With lipo the fat accumulates underneath your ab muscles, so you can't grab it.  You also can't use liposuction to remove it . . .
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:40:25 am »
I JUST SCHEDULED AN APPT WITH A PLASTIC SURGEON TO HAVE LIPOSUCTION PERFORMED IN THAT VERY AREA(STOMACH,RIGHT UNDER THE AB MUSCLES)I KNOW THAT ALL THE DRUGS WE TAKE ARE ALL TOXIC AND ARE RUNNING HAVOC ON OUR ORGANS,SO WE MAY NOT DIE DIRECTLY FROM AIDS BUT WE WILL DEFINITELY DIE FROM LIVER,KIDNEY ETC...FAILURE!!!I KNOW THAT I HAVE A FEW GOOD YEARS LEFT AND I PLAN TO GO OUT WITH A BANG!!!

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 12:22:29 pm »
Interesting that a surgeon would attempt to remove the fat "under the abs" usually this is very "hard fat" a lot like chicken fat..and does not "suction" very well...also it is wrapped around the internal organs which makes removal difficult ....typically they will "liposuction the soft fat" between the skin and the muscle.... would be really interested in the results ...wish you the best with the surgery...
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 12:35:41 pm »
Re:  the fat on your stomach.  With lipo the fat accumulates underneath your ab muscles, so you can't grab it.  You also can't use liposuction to remove it . . .

GASP,,, so should i try to eat no fat so that i won't get that in my stomach?
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline bobino

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 10:50:10 pm »

Egello,

No, eating no fat will not help.  Your body normally puts on fat when you take in more calories than you burn, and it doesn't matter whether those excess calories are in the form of carbs, protein, or fat.  Avoiding a lot of fat is a good idea for other reasons, though, such as keeping your cholesterol and triglycerides under control.  And of course fat is the most calorie-dense of the three types of food.  That is, fat contains the most calories per gram.  (Nine calories per gram vs. four for protein and carbs.)  So if you avoid fats, you'll probably lower your overall caloric intake.

In my personal experience, if you're going to develop visceral fat (the fat under the ab muscles), there's not a whole lot you can do about it.  Eat carefully and exercise, and that will minimize it.  But I do both for the most part, and I'm still seeing fat redistribution. 

Each person's lipo experience is different, though, so my story is of only limited use to you.  The same thing *could* happen to you, but more likely than not, it won't.

John
Suivons les rivières
Gardons les torrents
Restons en colère
Soyons vigilants

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.