Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:37:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 189
Total: 190

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Possible undetection of HIV due to all wrong nowadays tests  (Read 9424 times)

Offline Maria

Possible undetection of HIV due to all wrong nowadays tests
« on: January 06, 2008, 06:55:32 am »
Hi
Sorry for not abiding to the rules,but I was very surprised and even impressed with all the answers were given as to the possible not detectable strain of HIV, I found it normal question, obviously its not that simple as those ones " about possible" kissing transmission, but still this is the question and I reckon that is the very important one, although many people may answer to it, who dont even know much about the virus, not to offend knowladgeable ones or very knowladgeble.
The question is, what u think that someone can be infected with not detectable strain of the virus?? This site and thebody.com admit of such possibility. I read all the threads long time ago about such possibility, but they were all denied here.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Possible undetection of HIV due to all wrong nowadays tests
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 07:01:26 am »
Maria,

I've never heard of a "not detectable" hiv. All strains will be caught by current testing methods.

Are  you possibly confusing an undetectable viral load (in someone on hiv meds) with diagnostic issues?

Furthermore, why are you worrying about this? If you've had a risk, an antibody test at three months will be conclusive.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Maria

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 07:05:48 am »
And I was looking through the site and noticed that this fact is totally denied for some reason.
Is the site sponsored by Abbot laboratories or Merck?? ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 07:09:19 am »
Maria,

What, exactly, is your point? Why are you worrying about this? If you are hiv positive, you WILL test positive on an hiv antibody test. If you test hiv negative at three months, it means you DON'T have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Maria

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 07:13:14 am »
Maybe Im doing something wrong or maybe Im getting confused with something, but hope you
recognize this text from your site

Aren't there two different kinds of HIV? How do I know what I should be tested for?

The two known types of HIV are HIV-1 and HIV-2. In the United States and Europe, the overwhelming majority of HIV cases involve HIV-1. HIV-2 infections are predominantly found in West African nations. The first case of HIV-2 was discovered in the United States in 1987. Since then only 79 people with HIV-2 infections have been identified in the United States. While the CDC does not recommend routine screening for HIV-2, when someone tests for HIV-1 using ELISA/Western blot tests, there is a 60% to 90% chance that HIV-2 will be detected if it is present.

Not every test will automatically include testing for HIV-2. Anyone who thinks there's a possibility they have been exposed to HIV-2 and/or any of HIV's more rare subtypes should mention this when being tested. Among those for whom HIV-2 testing is indicated are those with sex partners from a country where HIV-2 is prevalent or people with an illness that indicate underlying HIV infection, such as an opportunistic infection, but whose HIV-1 test result was negative.

Offline Maria

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 07:15:38 am »
I dont understand why most of the sources, including this web site say, that rear subtypes may not be detected with ELISA tests??

What about subtypes of HIV?

Thus far, 11 distinct subtypes, also known as "clades" or "genotypes," have been recognized of HIV-1. More than 96% of the HIV-1 infections in the United States and Europe are caused by subtype B. Subtypes B and F predominate in South America and Asia. Subtypes A through H of HIV-1 are found in Africa, along with HIV-2 in sub-Saharan Africa.

The ELISA/Western blot tests can detect antibodies to all HIV-1 subtypes. Viral load tests can also detect and quantify subtypes of HIV-1. The viral load tests can also detect and quantify HIV-2.

Offline Maria

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 07:22:54 am »
Maria,

What, exactly, is your point? Why are you worrying about this? If you are hiv positive, you WILL test positive on an hiv antibody test. If you test hiv negative at three months, it means you DON'T have hiv.

Ann

Dear, Maria,

I dont understand why the fact is denied on the forum of this site and is accepted in the other parts of the site and also worldwide, especially on the very reputable www.thebody.com

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 07:55:00 am »
Maria,

Did you read what you posted?

The ELISA/Western blot tests can detect antibodies to all HIV-1 subtypes. Viral load tests can also detect and quantify subtypes of HIV-1. The viral load tests can also detect and quantify HIV-2.

No where does it say certain strains/subtypes cannot detected.

Think about it - if we know about strains/subtypes, it means they've been detected.

Unless you have a concern over a risk you want to talk about, I don't see how we can possibly help you further.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Maria

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 08:00:46 am »
Thanks, Ann,

I do a have a risk concern after having sex with someone who had multiple sex partners and have a few very big problems health issues, which started after it, but of course Im not stating that I have HIV for sure, but still there are some sources that say about undetectable strains, I found it on thebody.com  I will come back in an hour or 2 and give you the address where I read it

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 08:25:53 am »
All tests that are marketed today will pick up all strains.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 09:36:05 am »
Maria, you've been given responses which are well grounded in HIV science about your concerns. We're absolutely not interested in getting into a back and forth with you about what you insist on bringing up from another site to counter the responses you get here. 

If you're not happy with what we've said and feel you can do better elsewhere that's fine. 
Andy Velez

Offline Maria

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:04:43 pm »
I know, that having a number of related symptoms doesnt by default mean, that you are positive, but nevertheless, they started immidiately after the sexual contact and last occasionlly from time to time.
I had a kind of strange dimentia, which many of positive people have and cant explain it, even those from this site. Unfortunately its ruining my life and I have been with it for 2 years and 4 months now, Im not having kind of fobias and have a medical recorded enlarged lymphonodes, but doctors only rely on the tests.

Offline Maria

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 07:07:29 pm »
and where esle could I go and should go??

So in the future we could prevent a mass scale infection rates because of the new strain.
I know its hard to believe, but would anyone of you believe in it before 1981???
No, the answer is.
The only thing I know theres something very strange going on and Im aware of it

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 07:09:44 pm »
Maria,

I don't know what else we can tell you. If you feel ill see your doctor.

If you want to start some rant about subtypes, strains and bizzaro mass infection theories you may find more fertile ground in other forums.

MtD

Offline Maria

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 07:14:26 pm »
No, I dont start stories beyond the reality involving dwarfes and UFO, but the only thing Im trying to definitely establish the nowadays reliability, as I read somewhere, that ELISA cant detect some subtypes and strains.
I went to my doctor and he said that the only test he could test me with, was ELISA and couldnt comment a lot on my symptomps

Offline Maria

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2008, 07:16:09 pm »
I had also CD4 test done on me, which gave the result of 495

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 07:18:31 pm »
Well Maria,

And where precisely did you read this about ELISA testing?

More to the point, have you considered asking your doctor for a referral to a therapist or counselor?

MtD

Offline Maria

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 07:28:32 pm »
I didnt ask him to be referred to someone else. I dont even know what I should tell him. He said, that lymphonodes could be temporary because of some other problems, but not for so long and not so frequent???

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 07:36:54 pm »
Maria, lymph nodes get swollen all the time due to other infections.  If you had an HIV antibody test and it was negative, that means you're not HIV positive.  There's nothing more to it.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2008, 08:05:21 pm »
Maria, you need to discuss your physical concerns with a doctor. I would also suggest you discuss your emotional state (and your theories) with a therapist or other professional.

We've done what we can do for you here. If you continue to come back here with more of the same you're going to get a time out.

You are HIV negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Frank303

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2008, 06:25:42 am »
I have read one case on PubMed where detection was later and weakly reactive but only on one type of test rig (DUO)due to a mutant with unusual sequence. Other testing technologies returned a strong positive.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=427870

Is this the one case you are referring to Maria?

It should be noted that antibodies were detected on the DUO within what appears to be the 13 week window period.

Also the testing algorithms require Antibody Tests to be run twice

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2008, 06:43:37 am »
Frank,

Please read our forum posting guidelines found in the Welcome Thread, particularly this one:

Only those Moderators and members who are authorized to answer questions in the Am I Infected? forum are permitted do so. Unauthorized responses may be deleted without permission of the poster. Repeatedly posting replies of this nature may result in a Time Out or permanent ban, at the discretion of the Moderator Team.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Frank303

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2008, 08:40:05 am »
I'm sorry and I have read the guidelines now.

Please delete the post (and this one) if you wish.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.