Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:30:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773209
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 512
Total: 512

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The flu of 1918  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
The flu of 1918
« on: January 18, 2007, 01:55:42 am »
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16670768/wid/11915773?GT1=8921

"The virus was reconstructed from tissues of victims from 1918. Besides the Public Health Agency of Canada’s lab in Winnipeg, it exists only at the Centers for Disease Control in Atlanta."

Sometimes I just wish we would leave this shit alone! :)

I'm gonna sanitize my hands a lot more. :)

-joseph

Offline bear60

Re: The flu of 1918
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 10:12:43 am »
Interesting.
Does anyone else have stories in thier families about this epidemic? My Grandfather..(fathers father) died during this epidemic and my Mom , who was a little girl at the time,  is said to have had it but recovered.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:19:01 am »
The thing that kinda pissed me off about this is that they said it was the last pandemic we've seen of this magnitude.  UMMMM HELLO FUCKERS!  25 MILLION isnt a bad number!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Christine

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 02:04:34 pm »
Hi Bear,
My paternal great-grandparents died, along with 7 of their children. Five children lived, and the oldest child raised the remaining kids.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 02:33:51 pm »
Pretty amazing Christine.  We have it pretty good now, all things considered.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 09:11:14 pm »
There can be something valuable that is gained from this particular situation.

"What Can I do today to make a better Tommorrow?"

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:33:24 am »
Hi Bear

My grandfather died of the flu during the epidemic, ironically, while on a construction crew building a hospital to care for the victims. As a result, my grandmother could not continue to care for my father and at sixteen months he was adopted by an aunt and uncle. An incredible ripple effect resulted.

Em

Offline Christine

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 11:53:52 am »
There is a picture of all them standing from tallest to shortest taken before the flu hit. It is sort of sad, and scary to realize how quickly things can change.

All of this happened in Italy. The oldest daughter was engaged to a man who had immigrated to the US, and when the flu hit, and everyone died, she took the kids and came to the US to live.

Ripple effect...

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 08:35:27 pm »
Interesting.
Does anyone else have stories in thier families about this epidemic? My Grandfather..(fathers father) died during this epidemic and my Mom , who was a little girl at the time,  is said to have had it but recovered.

I do.

My great-grandmother's first husband and one of her daughters died in the flu epidemic in 1918.

She then married my great-grandfather.

If not for that flu epidemic... I wouldn't be here.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline loshan

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 09:33:00 pm »
My great Grandfather on mom's side died in it.....Grandmother on Dad's side was 9 at the time and told me she remembered flat rail cars stacked with frozen bodies coming through their small Arkansas town "going back east for buriel" during January.

Offline loshan

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 09:34:27 pm »
burial......(typing in semi darkness) ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.