Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:22:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 377
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How long can we live with proper treatment?  (Read 8003 times)

Offline Rabbit

How long can we live with proper treatment?
« on: July 28, 2006, 05:26:16 pm »
Dear all,

I am sorry for asking this foolish question but I really want to know the answere.

I am a new member here. I am not infected with HIV but my lover is a HIV positive person. I love my lover very very much and I do not want to leave him alone with his HIV. I was shocked about this. But I am ok now thanks to this forum.

SInce he told me about his HIV infection,and worried very much about our future. He also worries and thinks that I will leave him alone. I keep telling him : the most important thing is your health. I will be with you forever and I will remind you to take medicines.  Two heads are better than one and do not worry. You will live with me until you are at least 70 years old (we are 28-29 years old now). I will work more to take care of you.

He is very happy now . I worry but I do not let him know. I do not know how long he could live ? The truth is the truth. I want to know to have a plan for our future. A plan for a normal life is different from a plan for a short life. However, we should enjoy it. Fail to plan is plan to fail. Could you please tell me about this question?

I wish you all very good health and a good weekend.

Tigercub

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: How long can we live with proper treatment?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2006, 05:53:57 pm »
Dear Tigercub,

Two heads are better than one.  They told me once with my T-Cells and my viral load to expect 5 years.  That was 10 years ago, I took the choice for aggressive treatment and followed every instruction.  That same doctor later told me that unless I get hit by a bus, to expect to live to see old age.  I got very cautious around public transportation, I also continue to take my meds on time, every time, with few mistakes.  We are not perfect but we have to try.

My current doctor, who is considered to be the finest HIV physician in the entire state recently told me to expect to live to a very old age.  I am still cautious around public transportation.  There is a news article about my current doctor in my web site www.Commission-on-AIDS.org.  Click on the SERVICES tab and then on the medical services link.  As Marshall Kubota stated in his article, he is not the hero, his patients are.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2006, 05:59:38 pm »
Plan for a normal life span, but not a for a normal life, plan for an amazing life together, ideally buying property that will still be above water in 25-40 years time, with a good view. And wear your seat belts.

This is a slightly tangential way of saying that probably, with the state of treatment now and the bright horizon for new developments in drugs etc, the most dangerous thing about HIV is probably the way you think about it, and life will present more mundane but more serious challenges than this virus. Clearly, HIV infection introduces some uncertainty to life, but it can come to be seen relatively unimportant in the scheme of things. This is a fair and reasonable way to set out on the journey, even if right now it feels an unlikely way of being (together). - matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2006, 06:23:15 pm »
Hear hear!
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Lis

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2006, 06:29:22 pm »
I found out in 1986... , i think that 20 years of marriage, and 2 kids speaks for itself.... RELAX!!! if you love... then keep on loving!!

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2006, 06:33:35 pm »
Thank you very much. I am happy now . I will phone my lover soon to tell him about what you all siad  before I go to bed so that he is happy today.

Tigercub.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2006, 06:57:59 pm »

Tiger,

I asked my doctor the same question.  She started to tell me I could expect to live a normal life span then she stopped and looked at my chart.  She noted that I smoked 2 pks a day.  She then explained to me HIV should not be my worry, lung cancer should!  If I quit and I don't get hit by that stray bus everyone is referring to then I should live a normal life span....

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2006, 07:06:57 pm »
I also asked my Dr about the toxicities of HIV meds. He said I should expect a normal lifespan and that it was much worse to drink or smoke than to take antirretrovirals.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Eldon

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2006, 08:50:46 pm »
Hello Tigercub, it is Eldon. Your question is not a foolish question. You can be open and honest and ask questions on the forum. Again, welcome to the forums. Michael used a good metaphor by getting hit by a bus, this is why he stays away from public transportation.

I have been positive since August of 1990. I never took any meds and have had the best of health. Now, recently in Feb 2006 my doctor put me on meds to supress the virus.I have also been told that I can expect to live to an old age also.

Your honey will be fine. All he has to do is find the right doctor that will give him the right treatment. Have him take his meds as prescribed by the doctor.

We are All here for you and any support you need, you know where to come.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 09:31:55 pm »
I was told by my doc -

"Go live your dreams, you will be around for them".
"I wouldnt sell your life insurance policy just yet". ;D

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2006, 10:22:55 pm »
Hey Tigercub,

You asked the $64,000 question - not that you were around when that show was on TV.

How long will any of of live? Who knows. I tested positive in 1985. I have been on meds for a little more than 10 years.

Have I had a few ups and downs with the meds? Sure. It comes with the territory. But I am still on the same regimen I started in June 1996.

You know what I am facing? Everything else that comes with the approach of middle age. (The first person who makes a crack about my age is gonna get it!  >:( )

Cholesterol; Arthritis; Bifocals; Wrinkles - I couldn't be happier. I never thought I would see it. Now, if only I had saved some money along the way . . .

By the way, welcome, and may I say your lover is a lucky guy.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 10:24:58 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 04:13:33 pm »
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your kind replies, which really help me at this momment. I hope my lover will have a normal life span and I will help him to gain this.

I wish you all good health and a great summer.

Tigercub

Offline jupiter

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 08:12:04 pm »
Just thought id add something after reading all this.
Every person on this forum is so supportive and caring and allways ready to help.
They helped me out since november last year when i teste positive and im so grateful to all of you.
Hugs
B
Thanks guys!!!

Offline randym431

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2006, 01:18:27 am »
very cautious around public transportation

The true villain. Look out!  ;D
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline joemutt

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 01:43:48 am »
Old age will get me before the virus does, or that bus ;)
45, 9 years on meds.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 04:12:22 am »
Tigercub,

Your question isn't foolish at all.

If your lover adheres to a responds well to medication when needed, you can expect he'll live to a ripe old age.

The bottom line is that no one knows when their days will end, HIV positive or not.

Live now. Love now. Now is all we can be sure of having.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BeachNYC

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 07:47:43 am »
Wow, this IS the question that seems to always reside in the back of my mind. When I was diagnosed, back in February, the thought that most concerned me was the "fact" that I would never grow old; I have two children, 22 and 25, an ex-wife, two ex-boyfriends, and I'm 52. My father is still alive and very much kicking at 94, my mom is 88. Somehow I had always just thought that I'd live as long as they did. Today, after having started meds, and having had a while to think about this more, I realize that the ONLY thing I know is that I don't know. But then again, no one ever knows whether that bus is going to hit them today, tomorrow, in the next hour! Life has to be lived with that uncertainty. All I can do is live each day one day at a time, keep doing the things that I know encourage my health, pray for continuing medical advances, and be grateful. And grateful I am....in so many ways, HIV has taught me how to live life fully, how to recognize what is important and what isn't, and how to appreciate the health that I DO have.

Robert
BeachNYC

Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir - started 5/13/2006
5/13/2006 - CD4 186; VL 52,000
5/30/2006 - CD4 117; VL 56,400 - (Somethin ain't right!)
6/19/2006 - CD4 295  VL 113
7/21/2006 - CD4 245  VL <50

Offline Rabbit

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 08:47:49 am »
Dear all,

I thank you for all what you have told me. I am happy that HIV+ people could live a normal life span as others do. I will help my lover so that he could be with me forever.

Tigercub

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.