Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:12:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 423
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 393
Total: 393

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Baby  (Read 2685 times)

Offline Salteen

Baby
« on: January 09, 2007, 12:36:53 pm »
For some reason every since my husband and I got married, everyone has been baby crazy, accept me.  I would like to eventually but come on people give me some freakin time!  I don't know if I will ever be real ready.  I have been treated so badly my whole because of HIV, I can't even imagine the judgment when I try and have a kid, even though its very possibly the kid and I would be fine.  I seriously have just taken the abuse and I think I am at the point that if anybody else would be judgmental towards me because of HIV, I would probably verbally or physically punch them!  Anyone know what I mean?

On another note, my father wrote a book about AIDS, that was fine, alittle too nice.  I am starting to write my own with more real stuff in it, far from done.  Should be very interesting. 

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Re: Baby
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 12:45:39 pm »
Salteen

Follow your heart and brain. I have a mother with severe diabetes and it has been ok, but when she gets severely ill I get very depressed. Many parents think of having a baby and think it is cure and heart warming when they are babies but forget that these kids will grow up and not be so cuddly no more. There is also alot of educating about your disease since there is such a stigma and you do not want your child to have fear. In other words, there are pros and cons. Good Luck in your choice.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:03:46 pm »
Salteen,

Although I'm a male, and a gay one at that, I think I can somewhat appreciate the stress caused by relatives and friends who expect newlyweds to drop a baby 9 - 12 months after they get married.  Were I in your shoes I'd think of some nasty retorts to shut them up but I'm sure you're a better person than I am. 

Don't let anyone pressure you into having a child.  Only you and your husband can make that decision together, and since you have alll the work (i.e., pregnancy!) you get final word, period.

Good luck!

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 03:33:47 pm »
You having a baby is no worse than ANYONE else that may have a genetic disorder deciding to have kids as well.  THAT IS WHAT I WOULD TELL THEM!  There is ALOT more risk for inheriting BAD genes from parents than HIV.

Tell em to FUCK OFF!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 03:39:00 pm »
I don't blame the people around Salteen to be concerned about her having a baby because they probably don't know that it is possible to have a baby without he/she being born with the virus.

Parenting is alot of work in itself and being HIV poz in many cases is a load work in itself. If someone is having second thoughts and is not clear about a big decision like that then I think they should really not do it.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 11:15:23 pm »
Salteen,

I have straight girlfriends who are anti-baby.  They complain about all the social pressure, especially as they get older, as though they are not complete without offspring, but they are sweet, loving teachers.  Keep up the fight!

Drew

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 11:51:07 pm »
Follow your heart.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.