Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:13:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 281
Total: 281

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anderson Cooper special on AIDS from an LTS perspective:  (Read 3326 times)

Offline jm1953

Anderson Cooper special on AIDS from an LTS perspective:
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:23:19 am »
This special has been a hot subject in the "Living With HIV" thread.  I posted a message there too.

I saw the special and personally was very disappointed.  Kudo's though to Anderson Cooper and CNN to recognize the 30th anniversary of HIV/AIDS. It may also have lifted some of the stigma surrounding AIDS across the globe.  But to the layman, I don't think it really said a whole lot except that HIV/AIDS is now a manageable chronic illness, one that a person can now live a normal life with.  It kind of gave the impression that if you contract AIDS now, you just take your meds and no big deal.

Sir Elton John I think did a good job talking about the stigma surrounding AIDS, and he certainly has done an amazing job contributing to the AIDS cause.  In fact an outstanding job.  But, with all due respect to the rest of the panel, I felt their comments were weak and disappointing.  The African American man who I can't remember his name, but has done tons for the AIDS movement, especially among the African American community, and has been positive for I think 30 years, basically gave the impression it is not really a big deal now having AIDS.  Get up, go to work, take my meds.  Granted he mentioned he was near death in 1996 until he got on a study I think, maybe the Crixivan trial, that saved his life.  But nothing said about actually living with AIDS.  The terrible health stuff we all as LTS  experience. The prohibitive cost of the meds to just stay alive. You know where I'm going with this.

And the Doctor, who is very famous in the AIDS world and highly respected, when asked about the advances going forward talked about a possible pill negative people can take every day and not worry about getting AIDS.  I think he said this is in trials.  And he talked about something else more preventative if I recall all this right.  I should say he allegedly talked about these things because I was kind of listening from the other room.  Maybe you who saw it and can feel in the cracks.  In may opinion this may have just fueled the fire about "now I don't even need to worry about getting AIDS".  He's so brilliant and could have touched on so many other subjects I think.

Mondo from "Project Runway" was brave telling the world about his HIV status on one of the episodes, but he really didn't contribute much about what it's like living with HIV/AIDS on this special.  I hope his contribution helps people less afraid to talk about their HIV status.

I would have liked to see the hour or maybe two full of interviews, stories about the people living with AIDS from newbies, to Long Term Survivors and some of the Hell we go through.  Their personal stories.
Instead, I think this special came across that AIDS is kind of cakewalk now with all the new advances and one can live a normal life with the new medications.  They never defined normal from a person suffering from AIDS perspective except for the one.

Anderson Cooper is a good journalist and I think tried to create more discussion about the horrors of having AIDS but just didn't get the reaction.

I just walked away disappointed after high expectations, especially as a person living with AIDS over 20 years, seeing almost all of my friends die in the 80's and 90's, going out on disability because I was so sick from the meds and depressed.  And trying to live day to day with lot's of health issues.  It is no cake walk.

Hope they will do a more thorough special next time.

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.