Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 273
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 209
Total: 211

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Preparing to start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada regimen  (Read 4277 times)

Offline bluesafterthenews

Preparing to start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada regimen
« on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »
Hello all,

I'm 24 and have been positive a little over a year.  My most recent CD4 count was ~700, viral load ~10,000.  I received Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada a couple weeks ago, but I am a chronic worrier/over-thinker/researcher and have not begun taking them.  The conflicting reports on starting early with good numbers have thrown me off.  I wanted to start exercising regularly, see a nutritionist, and revamp my daily schedule before starting, but some people think I'm simply postponing the inevitable.

I'm asking for:
1) Experiences, initial/long-term?
2) Suggestions, advice, tips?
3) Opinions on getting SUPER healthy prior to treatment?

Thanks so much,
B

Offline eric48

• Standard
Re: Preparing to start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada regimen
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:16:50 pm »
Welcome!
Good that you have access to meds
You delay a few days/weeks: I did the same in order to build stock
(We have shortages, here  ...)

Then I started treatment

Later, I discovered that some people had taken the option to delay iniation
You may want to learn from them

Me, I started because of my 'old' age

Would have been nice if I were young with your lower VL and high CD4
But that was not the case

Besides meds are not as bad as you may think

Hope this helps a bit

Mobile.eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline AusShep

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:50:34 pm »
The CDC now recommends treatment regardless of CD4 count.  For those with CD4 below 500, this is very well backed up by long term clinical outcomes.  For higher counts it's a moderate expert opinion recommendation.  Also, a reduced viral load GREATLY reduces the chances of ever passing HIV to someone else.

http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/contentfiles/lvguidelines/adultandadolescentgl.pdf#page47

IMO, the data on < 500 is quite strong now, as additional studies this year have shown.

I think your friends are right and you're just procrastinating.  You can't "super healthy" the HIV away.  I've procrastinated some treatments to my own detriment before.  Starting meds is another way in addition to what you mentioned to start actively taking control of your health.

I agree with Eric on having some surplus on hand in case any insurance, travel, or whatever gets in the way of a refill.  It's no fun being out of meds and waiting for the UPS morning delivery or the pharmacy to get stock on hand.

My recommendation would be to bite the bullet and start now, or if you want to plan it out, then as soon as you can refill, do that, then start that same day.

Welcome, and let us know what you decide!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:05:56 pm »
I am most always for early treatment and I assume your doctor is too if you gave you a script for the meds . Having said that looking at the only information you gave us and going on a decent cd4 count and the low viral load its a reasonable choice if you decide to wait awhile .

I do not think getting super healthy with diet and exercise will significantly impact your treatment one way or the other because you are relatively stable as it is right now .
I would talk it over with your doctor and think about it some more because if you are not quite ready to commit to a lifetime of meds right now you have the numbers and luxury of using this time to get ready for that commitment, but use the time to get there .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 10:07:09 pm »
there are early studies that suggest starting meds immediately is the best way to go to fight HIV. Seems reasonable since every other disease is usually treated immediately rather than waiting until the disease has severely hurt you before starting. The babies that may have been "cured" were immediately put onto meds. There is some evidence that starting immediately may even wipe out enough HIV that someone might be able to go off meds or drastically reduce them after a few years.

3) Opinions on getting SUPER healthy prior to treatment?
HIV doesn't care how "super healthy" you get. It's busy destroying your immune system. Being "healthy" is not synonymous with having a working immune system. The only thing to help with HIV are the meds.

Besides meds are not as bad as you may think
read the package inserts carefully. <7-5% have the mild initial effects (mild sickness adjusting to lowering VL and rising med levels) and usually <2% have any long term side effects. The odds are in your favor that YOU will not be one to have side effects.

Don't give HIV or the meds any "special consideration". Millions of people are taking daily medications for all sorts of reasons. You are now soon to be one of those millions. Lots of people have chronic illnesses and lots of people take daily meds. HIV and it's treatment isn't all special and you don't have to feel stigma for being someone with a chronic disease taking medications.

some people think I'm simply postponing the inevitable.
of course without more data the jury is out on whether staying immediately is the best way to start treatment - but it's beginning to look like that is the best way to treat. HIV meds are the only thing that treats HIV so you will (99.8%) end up taking meds eventually anyway,  so if you have access to meds, why put off the inevitable?

Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
1) Experiences, initial/long-term?
I've been taking meds for 20+ yrs and they are the ONLY thing that kept me from dying. I've been taking R/N/T for 8 years now and it's the best regimen I was ever on. I love it; it's easy to take - 3 pills with dinner; it works - UD for a loooooonnng time; and I've never had any long term side effects from this regimen - unless you count the long term effects of not being dead and being pretty darned "healthy".  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.