Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:49:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 548
Total: 550

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CDC HIV Transmission Risk Chart  (Read 11178 times)

Offline tednlou2

CDC HIV Transmission Risk Chart
« on: August 20, 2012, 12:21:22 am »
The headline they used for the link, CDC Unveils "HIV Transmission Risk Chart,"
made it sound like these were new and revised assessments.  But, they look the same as what I've seen reported before from the CDC, so it didn't seem like new news to me.  Has anything changed from previous CDC assessments?         

http://www.thebodypro.com/content/68450/hiv-transmission-risk-chart.html

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
Re: CDC HIV Transmission Risk Chart
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 02:38:45 am »
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:27:23 pm »
Faux Pas!!   ;)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:35 pm »
Faux Pas!!   ;)

I didn't see the other thread when it rolled around either.  But it bears repeating that I detest - loathe - abhor these friggin' charts.  I think they are more than useless in real world application...they're dangerous because they have this "oh my odds are pretty good" feel to them.  >:(

Here's the only stat you need:  Your odds are nearly 100% of you fuck around constantly without condoms.

Ask any salacious sperm sponge like me.   ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline elf

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 05:36:14 pm »
In real world, the chance of getting infected is 50%, meaning it's either 100% or 0%.
Even 10 seconds of unprotected anal sex can result in infection, if the penetrating partner's viral load is high (>100 000). During the window period, people can test negative, while they have viral load in millions.

This chart was the 1st thing I looked at, after the unprotected sex which resulted in my infection. (And yes, I panicked after the intercourse, and the guy showed me his negative HIV test he had taken a moth ago...which he took in order to get a visa to [a certain country])...he must've been tested during the window period since our intercourse lasted less than a minute, and there was no ejaculation) and yet resulted in my infection. [I should have gone to the ID clinic the next day, to seek PEP, but I didn't know about it...Instead, I concentrated on this stupid chart  >:( ).

People keep saying the chances of getting the infection are low,
but if you asked them: would you sleep with an HIV-positive person (UD, safe sex), they would say: Not a chance!

::)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:49:58 pm by elf »

Offline Rockin

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 01:11:40 pm »
People keep saying the chances of getting the infection are low,
but if you asked them: would you sleep with an HIV-positive person (UD, safe sex), they would say: Not a chance!

::)

I used to ask myself this same question when I was negative and I did not think like that. Ok so you're sleeping with a guy and he's apparently negative...you both do a test and you're HIV free. So ok, "screw condoms, let's do it!"

What if he cheats on you? There is a thread here somewhere about this very same problem (I believe it might be on Mental Health area)...the guy was in a stable relationship, condom-free sex and boom, the other one cheated and he got infected.

How safe it is anyway to have bareback sex with someone who got tested negative? What is the guarantee that this will last? There is none, I think.

Also Elf...not to say I don't believe in your story but it does seem really odd that you got infected for, as you put it, something that "lasted less than a minute"...and considering the guy, as you also put it, must have been in his window period his VL could not be high at all. So you're saying that you got infected for something that lasted less than a minute with a guy who's VL count was around the hundreds? 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 02:47:00 pm »

the guy, as you also put it, must have been in his window period his VL could not be high at all. So you're saying that you got infected for something that lasted less than a minute with a guy who's VL count was around the hundreds? 

You're wrong there, Rockin. People who are in the first few weeks/first month or so of infection quite often have VLs in the millions. MILLIONS!!! It can be the most infectious a person will ever be throughout the course of their infection.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rockin

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:33 pm »
You're wrong there, Rockin. People who are in the first few weeks/first month or so of infection quite often have VLs in the millions. MILLIONS!!! It can be the most infectious a person will ever be throughout the course of their infection.

Really? Had no idea...maybe because when I found out my status my VL was around 20.000 and my infection was probably 1 year prior to that...I assumed it was usually like this for most people.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:08:11 pm »
Check out this graph Rockin. It shows that VL skyrockets in the first weeks and then diminishes to fairly low within just a few months. It then begins a very slow increase which takes years until it reaches a tipping point and begins a huge increase before totally destroying the immune system leading to death
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:12:41 pm by leatherman »
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Rockin

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 11:59:27 am »
Check out this graph Rockin. It shows that VL skyrockets in the first weeks and then diminishes to fairly low within just a few months. It then begins a very slow increase which takes years until it reaches a tipping point and begins a huge increase before totally destroying the immune system leading to death

Had no idea. I thought it was a slow, steady climb since infection.

Regardless, I still think its pretty amazing that you could get infected by 1 minute of intercourse. I always assumed, and I don't think I'm wrong in this, that HIV is not "that" easy to get.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:29:12 pm »
Had no idea. I thought it was a slow, steady climb since infection.

Regardless, I still think its pretty amazing that you could get infected by 1 minute of intercourse. I always assumed, and I don't think I'm wrong in this, that HIV is not "that" easy to get.

Years ago when I was a youngin, I thought it took several years of infection before someone was infectious enough to transmit the virus.  After learning about the virus, I was surprised to learn that people are usually most infectious during acute infection.  I really can't trace back where I got this mistaken info.  It must have been other people saying it, and I just believed it. 

Offline elf

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 09:50:44 pm »

No. You can not use population statistics in this manner. Unprotected anal sex with an HIV-positive partner is extremely risky and it's possible to contract the virus with just a single exposure.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q201423.html

Offline Rockin

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2012, 03:34:54 pm »

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SafeSex/Q201423.html

I do agree that we should always practice safe sex with a HIV negative person but that's the standard doctor scare tactic routine. I also had a doctor telling me that I should always use a condom when practicing oral sex because "oral sex is just as risky as anal sex". Not every doctor is a good doctor, remember that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.