Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:44:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 480
Total: 480

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pre-existing Condition Clauses  (Read 2446 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
Pre-existing Condition Clauses
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:17:08 pm »
Hello All

I have some questions about a confusing situation I find myself in as of late.  I started a new job on August 2nd.  The next day my Cobra ran out.  I will not be offered insurance from my company until Oct 1 with is within the allotted time period that my new insurance company will not be able to apply any preexisting condition clauses.

Here is where it gets tricky - I don't get full access to benefits until 6 months after I start the job.  The insurance they offer in Oct is Essential Care, which doesn't cover any scripts for antivirals and such.  I will only be using this for blood work and routine medical issues.  I will be getting my drugs through ADAP so no worries there.

When I apply for my "real" insurance, I think it is Cigna, will I be covered fully even though I didn't use the Essential Care insurance I am carrying up until that point for anything particularly HIV related?

I know it is kinda confusing so if you need further clarification ask away, otherwise would love to hear your 2 cents on the issue.

Pete

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Pre-existing Condition Clauses
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 03:37:17 pm »
Pete,

How many employees does the company have? Generally, when you join a group plan, you are fully accepted, even if actual benefits vary by length of service. Some people refer to it as an "open enrollment" and since your Cobra excludes a pre-existing clause, you should be fine. If you have any questions, talk with your Human Resources about your concerns and you don't have to share any personal information to get the answers you need.

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 05:02:04 pm »
My employer has 10K plus employees.  I know they will not deny me insurance, but they (insurance company) can limit the services they pay for if they determine it a preexisting condition.

Case in point, I went from one big employer to another with no gap at all in insurance coverage and my first bloodwork/doctor check up, I was sent a letter having to prove I carried insurance before or they would not pay for that service.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 08:59:26 pm »
My employer has 10K plus employees.  I know they will not deny me insurance, but they (insurance company) can limit the services they pay for if they determine it a preexisting condition.

Case in point, I went from one big employer to another with no gap at all in insurance coverage and my first bloodwork/doctor check up, I was sent a letter having to prove I carried insurance before or they would not pay for that service.

Madbrain is the resident expert on this subject but the way I understand it is you are allowed a maximum of 63 days without coverage before they are able to apply pre-existing conditions. They are then able to apply pre-existing conditions for a length of time equal to the time you were without insurance.

Can I reduce or eliminate the maximum preexisting condition exclusion period?

Yes, if you can show "creditable coverage." Most health coverage can be used as creditable coverage, including participation in a group health plan, COBRA continuation coverage, Medicare and Medicaid, as well as coverage through an individual health insurance policy. However, you should try to avoid a significant break in coverage (63 days) if you want to be able to count your previous coverage. If you have a break shorter than 63 days, coverage you had before that break is creditable coverage and can be used to offset a preexisting condition exclusion period. Days spent in a waiting period for coverage cannot be used as credit. But, they also are not counted toward the significant break (63 days) you are trying to avoid.

How do I calculate the length of a preexisting condition exclusion in a new employer’s health plan?

Suppose an employee had coverage for 2 years, followed by a break of 70 days. The employee then resumes coverage for 8 months before moving to a new job, with no time off between jobs. He enrolls in the health plan at the new job as soon as possible.
A preexisting condition exclusion can last 12 months at most, if the person enrolls when first eligible. This employee has 8 months of creditable coverage. His earlier 2 years of health coverage are not creditable because he had a break in coverage that was more than the 63 days allowed under the law. His preexisting condition exclusion will last 4 months after he enrolls in the employer's health plan.
If the same employee had a break in coverage of only 60 days, his story would be different. This would not be a significant break and he could use the earlier 2 years of coverage to completely offset the preexisting condition exclusion period.

There are other helpful Q&A's on the link below. These time periods mentioned (63 days, etc) are a minimum based on Federal HIPAA laws but some states have a more generous allowance.

LINK:

http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/faqs/faq_consumer_hipaa.html

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 11:25:09 pm »
What things did the health insurance companies claim they would go ahead and enact now instead of when it is mandated?  I know I heard on the news they are claiming they are going to voluntarily enact some things before they are mandated.  Does anyone know what they are and if they are really doing it??

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 11:56:51 am »
Pete

Your old (COBRA based insurance company)  should send you a a certificate of creditable coverage.  If they don't, call and ask for it.

Second, ask your employer / HR people to clarify whether the CIGNA plan has any provisions about preexisting conditions (as Joe / Killefoile pointed out, many large employer plans don't) and if it does whether "Essential care" insurance counts.  If you don't feel comfortable asking this much about the details just ask for a copy of the plan SPD (summary plan description)

If the plan that starts in October is creditable coverage (and it is hard to see how it wouldn't be -- although it wouldn't hurt to check) you would basically not be subject to any preexisting condition clauses since the break between your COBRA coverage and the new plan was too short to matter.

PM me if I can help

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.