Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:53:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 209
Total: 209

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Feeling Alone  (Read 4993 times)

Offline jdmalawi

Feeling Alone
« on: June 09, 2013, 01:53:42 pm »
 Hi
I am a single white female aged 41.  I work as a an elementary school teacher.  I do volunteer work in Africa with orphaned girls.  Last fall I tested positive.  I am sure I contracted it from a relationship I had in Malawi (Africa) as their testing tools are likely not as accurate as ours in Canada. 

I have been healthy and have not yet had to start meds. 

My search is for others like me.  Professional, straight women who have not used drugs or engaged in random sex acts. 

When I go to the clinic I am surrounded by gay men and I would like to find support from women.  I feel I am not a typical HIV case and yet I know that thinking is likely outdated.  I can't find any support group in my area that is not dedicated to lower income struggling to make ends meet kind of people.  I don't mean to sound judgmental though I know that I must.  I am judging myself as much if not more than anyone else.

I just want to know I'm not the only one. 
Nov '12:  Tested Positive
Dec '12:  VL 539,
Feb '13:  VL 534, CD4 839
June '13:  VL58, CD4 700
Sept '13:  VL 52, CD4 884

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Feeling Alone
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 04:00:56 pm »
Hi
I am a single white female aged 41.  I work as a an elementary school teacher.  I do volunteer work in Africa with orphaned girls.  Last fall I tested positive.  I am sure I contracted it from a relationship I had in Malawi (Africa) as their testing tools are likely not as accurate as ours in Canada. 

I have been healthy and have not yet had to start meds. 

My search is for others like me.  Professional, straight women who have not used drugs or engaged in random sex acts. 

When I go to the clinic I am surrounded by gay men and I would like to find support from women.  I feel I am not a typical HIV case and yet I know that thinking is likely outdated.  I can't find any support group in my area that is not dedicated to lower income struggling to make ends meet kind of people.  I don't mean to sound judgmental though I know that I must.  I am judging myself as much if not more than anyone else.

I just want to know I'm not the only one. 

Have you tried the Positive Women forum here? Perhaps one or two of the women there may meet your criteria.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:12:52 pm »
Hi welcome to the forum.

Besides the "clinic", there may be additional support available, where you may be able to find the kind of support you need.  ASO - AIDS SERVICE ORGANISATION, or any such social service organisation in your region, should give you some ideas.

You wrote a nice paragraph already admitting that you might have some outdated concepts about who has HIV these days. 

Find whatever support you feel needed and comfortable with. But dare to try out something with a group who you don't think is the right "fit".  Might be helpful, you never know if you don't try.

A lot of people with HIV are very empathetic, since with any experience being HIV+, we quickly recognise that everyone has different lives, stories, and sometimes the only thing that we have in common is HIV+ and being human, and those two are enough for people to support each other, right?  A poor person can give you support and vice versa. A drug user or former drug user, same story.  Old, young, inbetween...  Gay, hetero, etc etc etc. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 04:30:10 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 06:43:34 pm »
Hi Jd , as a teacher you must have many organizational skills to draw from , so why not start your own group .

In the early days the GLBT community had to come together and create a place of support of our own , so if you feel there is a need then go for it .

I do volunteer work at a clinic and from what I can see your case is typical .We all got here the same way and that's by having unprotected sex . Forgive me for saying so but it sounds to me that perhaps you have some internalized shame or you may have succumbed to the stigma projected upon all of us that are living with HIV .

As for feeling that most support groups and services are geared towards lower income people , you may want to consider that many of us are not down and out with HIV , we are down and out because of HIV .

Welcome to the forum . hope to hear more from you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jdmalawi

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:39 pm »
I do volunteer work at a clinic and from what I can see your case is typical .We all got here the same way and that's by having unprotected sex . Forgive me for saying so but it sounds to me that perhaps you have some internalized shame or you may have succumbed to the stigma projected upon all of us that are living with HIV

Thanks.  You are absolutely right that I feel stigma and shame.  I am angry at myself for trusting and for being careless.  I know I need to get past that shame in order to get the help I need.  Thanks for your reply.

Offline jdmalawi

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 09:08:54 pm »
Have you tried the Positive Women forum here? Perhaps one or two of the women there may meet your criteria.

I will check it out for sure, thank you!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 11:22:21 pm »

Thanks.  You are absolutely right that I feel stigma and shame.  I am angry at myself for trusting and for being careless.  I know I need to get past that shame in order to get the help I need.  Thanks for your reply.

Feeling ashamed after you test positive is a common experience.  I felt the same way, as did many others.  You will be able to get beyond that but it does take some time.   Talking it out is a good first step so I commend you in looking for others you feel comfortable with. 

In addition, you may want to check for a therapist in your area that is familiar with HIV or treating people who are recently diagnosed with an illness (doesn't need to be hiv specific). 

Good luck
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.