Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:27:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 465
Total: 465

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My ER Vist  (Read 6492 times)

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
My ER Vist
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:54:36 am »
 ??? On Friday morning I woke up after a very restless sleep, all night long I had the annoying sore-throat, and couldn't breath very well due to this, so, at 7AM I woke up with a very very sore-throat, I couldn't even swallow or speak very well, got thur my morning ritual somehow, and about 9AM I decided to go to my HIV-AIDS-Clinic..I know something wasn't right  ??? got there, and the place was closed for meetings until the 26th on Monday, so I couldn't wait that long, so, I went to an out-patient-clinic at the UNH-Hospital, Where was seen by a nurse and a PA, they didn't know how to treat what-ever was wrong with me, so they took my vitals along with a throat-culture, and told me to go the the ER, my Temp was now 103 , and I didn't feel very good at all, it was 12 noon by then...........

So I arrived at the ER, along with my paper-work form one of the hospitals clinics, checked-in to Triage
where the Nurse took one look into my mouth, and said YUCK! then I was seated to where they took vitals AGAIN, and this time my Temp was about 103-104, so I go out and sit in the ER-lobby-waiting room, with about 100 or so other SICK-people, and crying babies, and a few DRUNKS, 3 hrs pass, by then it was 3:45PM so, they call my name, and take my vitals AGAIN, and tell me to sit down AGAIN
4:15pm they call me back to take about 8 Vail's of Blood MARKED ASAP!..........I'm still sick and feel like CRAP, couldn't keep anything down, and talking was outta-the question........

SO, now it's 6PM, so the nurse calls me AGAIN, and puts me in a room where I see a Doctor, another 45mins pass, by now I feel like I'm dying  >:( doc comes in it's now 6:74PM, sits down and talks to me
after looking into my mouth, and says you have Adult Strep Throat, and tells me what he wanted to do
to treat me, and then he left so, the Nurse came back at about 7:30PM with a shot of coradzone, and a 5-day bottle of PENICILLIN, cuts me loose, and sends me home, it's now 8:15PM when I get home, my almost 12 hour ordeal is over  ;) fast-forward to this morning, I feel 50% better and can now eat, swallow and speak.... lovely health care system we all have huh ??? all of this could have been avoided if my HIV-AIDS-Clinic would have been open yesterday  ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:01:11 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: My ER Vist
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:03:46 am »
I'm sorry you are sick and happy you are 50% better .

Yeah ... the emergency room is the place of last resort . I am lucky to have a GP who will come in on the weekend so his patients can avoid that scenario
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 10:17:39 am »
Hey Dennis,

Having had strep throat as an adult, I can tell you it is not fun.

I used to get it every January, like clockwork. I didn't this year. (knock on wood).

I hope you are back in the pink soon.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline denb45

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 10:33:58 am »
Hey Dennis,

Having had strep throat as an adult, I can tell you it is not fun.

I used to get it every January, like clockwork. I didn't this year. (knock on wood).

I hope you are back in the pink soon.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark , I've NEVER had it before, not even as a child that I recall, so, I didn't know what the hell it was, it was kinda scary with the 103 to 104 Temp  ???
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline denb45

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 10:36:43 am »
I'm sorry you are sick and happy you are 50% better .

Yeah ... the emergency room is the place of last resort . I am lucky to have a GP who will come in on the weekend so his patients can avoid that scenario

Yeah, JR, THIS could have been avoided, but that PA at the Family Clinic was the only person there, and she really didn't know what to do, are how to treat this after I told her I was an HIV-AIDS-patient, she really didn't want anything to do with me, after I told her this , her jaw-dropped to the ground, and she backed-up her chair AWAY form me ???
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 10:38:26 am by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 10:38:40 am »
I used to get strep as a kid, and even once in my 20's but I don't think I've had it since then.  Definitely not fun, but anti-biotics should clear it up easily. 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 10:50:47 am »
Hi Dennis...the story had a happy ending...so thats good.
Talk about Emergency Rooms.......at a hospital here a Hispanic man went in with chest pains...was told to take a seat....and died in the waiting room....and even had his watch stolen...all captured on surveilance camera.  I know one family thats going to have a new home.

Be well
Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 11:12:49 am »
Hi Dennis...the story had a happy ending...so thats good.
Talk about Emergency Rooms.......at a hospital here a Hispanic man went in with chest pains...was told to take a seat....and died in the waiting room....and even had his watch stolen...all captured on surveilance camera.  I know one family thats going to have a new home.

Be well
Joel

Yeah, I Bet they will ,where the hell is Hospital Security, when you need them, and another thing, don't EVER go to sleep in an ER-waiting room, you might find your pockets picked-clean when you wake up  >:( our health care system is lovely isn't it  ::)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:15:07 am by denb45 »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 12:45:01 pm »
sorry to hear about the ordeal, but very glad to hear your're doing better ;D

half of my er visits were at least 12 hrs and the other half they admitted me!
I like the visits, when they eventually send you back home, much better. :D

I had strep like evey 3 months as a kid until I had my tonsils taken out at 14. Barely even a sore throat since then.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »
sorry to hear about the ordeal, but very glad to hear your're doing better ;D

half of my er visits were at least 12 hrs and the other half they admitted me!
I like the visits, when they eventually send you back home, much better. :D

I had strep like evey 3 months as a kid until I had my tonsils taken out at 14. Barely even a sore throat since then.  ;)

My tonsils were taken out at 5 or 6 yrs old.......Throat is still a little scratchy, but no more fever, w/ these 500-Mg-tabs of Penicillin taken every 6 hrs. for the next 5 days, I should feel better and better with each day passing, it says on the bottle to take all of them until they are gone  ;D

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 08:22:13 pm »
Den,

Glad to hear that you are doing better.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline jm1953

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 10:22:21 pm »
Den,

Glad you are feeling a bit better.  I have had strep several times as a kid and a teenager.  I know it is going around up here in Washington State.  It is horrible.  So I commiserate with you. 

As far as ER's are concerned, I always have the same experience as you when I go in one.  What get's me. an immune compromised patient with a temp of 103-104 degrees should be towards the top of the list to be seen by the triage nurse.  Incredible.

Sorry you had to go through that.  I just hope you are getting better.

Take care of yourself,

By the way, since the HIV clinic wasn't open, maybe there is an urgent care piece of the hospital you went to .. Some time you can be seen much quicker there.

Jeff
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:34:08 am »
Den,

Glad you are feeling a bit better.  I have had strep several times as a kid and a teenager.  I know it is going around up here in Washington State.  It is horrible.  So I commiserate with you. 

Yeah, my immune system has taken a lot of hits due to this, and right now this Monday- AM I feel like I've been beat-up, and have a horrible-Cold with flu-like symptoms, the good news is, I don't have a fever, just feel like crap right now  ??? however...... I'm sure I'll re-bound very soon  :'(

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:57:58 am »
just feel like crap right now 
well, look at the bright side. feeling like crap at home is still better than being trapped in a hospital.  :D

I'm sure I'll re-bound very soon
keep hanging onto that good attitude and I'm sure you will re-bound soon too! ;)
Hang in there buddy (rest, fluids, etc) and keep getting better! :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 06:09:00 pm »
I'm glad to hear you are on the mend.

ER visits were always a nightmare.  Fortunately, for me my nearest hospital just opened up a new ER with private rooms.  (I personally think all of my hospital stays helped fund it)  ;)
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.