Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:26:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 575
Total: 576

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I found an HIV discussion group.  (Read 3614 times)

Offline LiveWithIt

I found an HIV discussion group.
« on: February 22, 2012, 11:22:33 pm »
Tonight I went for the first time.  It was supposed to start at 7PM,  First the draw bridge was up, then there was an accident on the highway.  Then I get to the building and didn't know different things were going on so I asked the guy where the group was.  He said they had different groups, I'm like OH shit I forgot what it was called.  So I asked him which groups were there and I recognized the name and still had trouble finding the room, the door someone told me to go into was locked, luckily the other one worked. 

When I got there I was about 10 minutes late and everyone turned around and I was kinda mortified, I sat in the  back, there were about 30 guys there.  They were doing something really cute, one guy was passing a picture of each of them one at a time as a child and everyone else was guessing who it was.  Then that person spoke about their goals for High School and how HIV affected them, their goals in life, etc.  It was really cool. 

Then there was an intermission for cookies and soda.  That was a little awkward because groups of 3 or 4 were forming and I was just standing there near a group and no one spoke to me. So I see two people go back to their seats and I go back to mine.  Then one of the two cute younger guys that were there comes up and welcomes me and introduces me to the group leader, so I felt better.  Then they had a little more discussion and about 8 of the guys were going to a diner afterwards.  I just left. 

As soon as the intermission was called I left to use the restroom, that was when the cutest guy left.  He was older than me which was a surprise because he said what year the picture was taken and how old he was in it.  I did the math and he was around 53, but looked 43.  The best part was that I, in my 40s, may have been the youngest one there.  That always feels good.  So next week I will go again ;D

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:24:58 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Jody

Re: I found an HIV discussion group.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:24 pm »
Hi Live, it is good that you took the first step and went to your new support (discussion) group.  The guys were only meeting you for the first time as well...It is so good that you have decided to go back.  Before you go for the first time you wonder if you will be accepted and liked.  The second time you ask yourself was I liked, did I fit in, etc.  Chances are you will do just fine.  Being over 40 it is not always easy to hook up with cuter guys all the time so you would do well to just try to be friends with as many of the fellows as possible and to get as much support, information and knowledge as you can.  Before long you may be someone your group really depends on for support and you will welcome an uncomfortable newcomer.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 07:55:00 pm »
Hi Live, it is good that you took the first step and went to your new support (discussion) group.  The guys were only meeting you for the first time as well...It is so good that you have decided to go back.  Before you go for the first time you wonder if you will be accepted and liked.  The second time you ask yourself was I liked, did I fit in, etc.  Chances are you will do just fine.  Being over 40 it is not always easy to hook up with cuter guys all the time so you would do well to just try to be friends with as many of the fellows as possible and to get as much support, information and knowledge as you can.  Before long you may be someone your group really depends on for support and you will welcome an uncomfortable newcomer.

Jody

Thanks, I'm not looking for guys to hook up with, I am looking for friends, hopefully with the guys around my age or that have a youthful perspective on life.   Yeah when I do become a regular I will make a point to welcome an unfamiliar face. 
Pray God you can cope

Offline Gary S

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 10:08:19 am »
Can you tell me where this support group meets? I live part time in Fort Lauderdale and would like to possibly check it out. Thanks!!

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 11:00:06 am »
Can you tell me where this support group meets? I live part time in Fort Lauderdale and would like to possibly check it out. Thanks!!
http://pozitiveattitudes.com/?blogsub=confirming#blog_subscription-4

The info in on their site.
Pray God you can cope

Offline Gary S

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 10:08:29 am »
Thank you

Offline AdonisSMU

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:38:44 am »
Maybe going to group isnt sobad after all.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 06:17:16 pm »
Thank you

You're Welcome, hopefully I will see you there some time. 
Pray God you can cope

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.