Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:18:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: just worried  (Read 17187 times)

Offline worried

just worried
« on: June 24, 2006, 04:40:20 am »
hello

i had an encounter with a sex worker 15 days ago. i receive oral sex for about 2O sec and a handjob. i understand that both above activities carry almost zero risk of exposure.

there was also some naked frottage and during this in the wost case senario the head of my penis penetrated her for about 5 sec. she told me she was clean and always uses condom. do you think that above exposure justifies testing?

As the next day i had a vaginal intercourse with my wife for about 15 secs ( no ejaculation inside) in the unlike case that i was infected can hiv become infectious within 36 hours?

Offline RapidRod

Re: just worried
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 04:45:16 am »
Read the Welcome Post at the top of the page.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 06:47:37 am »
worried,

Before we start, I'd like to point out that the use of the word "clean" to describe sexual health is offensive to those of us who are living with hiv. I know you did not mean to offend and you were just repeating what the woman said, but unless I clue you in to this, you would have no way of knowing. Using the word "clean" to describe someones health implies that to have hiv is to be "dirty". Now you know.

If you have read the Welcome Thread like Rod suggests, then you will have followed the Transmission Lesson link and therefore you should now know that neither getting a blowjob nor getting a handjob are risks for hiv infection. That isn't low risk, it's NO RISK. Big difference.

Frottage isn't a risk either. I wouldn't even worry about the brief insertion of the tip of your penis into her vagina either. Hiv is a very fragile, difficult virus to transmit and more so from a woman to a man.

The only hiv risk in frottage is the risk of getting carried away and proceeding on to full unprotected intercourse. As this did not happen in your case, you don't need to worry.

You need to know that while you didn't have a risk of hiv infection, you DID have a risk of other sexually transmitted infections through frottage. Most of the other STIs are MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv is and many only need skin to skin contact, or sexual fluid to skin contact. Thank goodness this isn't true of hiv.

You would be wise to have a complete sexual health care check up before you continue having unprotected intercourse with your wife. It wouldn't be fair to her for you to pass on something like chlamydia.

While you don't need to test for hiv over this specific incident, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. As your relationship doesn't seem to be mutually monogamous, under the circumstances you owe it to you wife to either abstain or use condoms until you have been checked out for other STIs after your frottage.

You cannot go by what someone says about their sexual health. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection - and in your case consenting to frottage has opened you up to the possibility of chlamydia, gonorrhea, syphilis, genital warts and herpes. And just to be clear, this isn't a moral judgement on my part, it's simply the facts of the matter.

You did NOT have a risk of hiv infection, but you did have a risk of other STIs. Get checked out.

Ann
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 06:49:41 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 07:07:21 am »
thanks for your reply.

first of all english is not my mother language and the word 'clean' was the most convinient that i could use. of course no offense was meant and please accept my apologises.

secondly i had an urine test for chlamidia after 15 days of exposure and came negative.  i am waiting the test for herpes on monday but since  i have experienced no symptoms i hope for the best.

you reply helped very much to calm my fears. in 13 years of marriage it was my first ( and last be sure ) adventure.

a point that you did not address just for knowledge , as in the last couple of days going through the forums i became an expert on hiv do you know how soon after infection hiv can be transmitted ( somewhere i read within the 2- 3 days, somewhere else after 72 hours etc

thanks and please accept once again my apologies

regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2006, 07:37:45 am »
worried,

What you have read is correct - hiv can be transmitted from around 2-3 days after infection onwards. 72 hours is three days, so the information you have read is consistent.

You don't need to worry about that as you have not had a risk of infection.

I'm glad to hear that you have been checked out for other STIs. You might want to check for gonorrhea as well. While not having any symptoms of chlamydia or gonorrhea is good, it is possible to have one of these infections and not show any obvious symptoms. Getting checked out is really the only way to know.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline worried

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2006, 12:28:59 pm »

thanks ann for all your replies. i think that i let the whole issue go and engoy the sun and the football

tell me something if you have time in case my herpes 1 and 2  result on monday comes out positive is anyway to know if this was pre existant or a result of my last encounter. if  is was infected first time should i not have symptoms and sores within 15 days?

chlamydia came out negative

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2006, 01:52:39 pm »
Worried, with regard to herpes, symptoms of nfection usually first appear anywhere from 2 to 20 days after exposure to the virus.

However, people can carry and transmit the virus for years without knowing they are infected.

If there is an initial outbreak, a few days or even a few hours before any lesions appear an itching or tingling sensation around the penis or ass might be felt. It might or might not be accompanied by swollen glands. Sores then tend to erupt in clusters, usually around the head and the shaft of the penis, but can also appear on the area between the scrotum, the ass, anus or even inside the rectum. In some uncommon instances they flare up in the throat. Lesions may persist anywhere from 2 to 7 weeks.

I'm not going to go into more detail as I think too often that only fuels anxiety without really giving the answer needed by testing.

Overall I expect you to come out of this recent experience ok.

Good luck on your test results.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline worried

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2006, 02:08:40 pm »
thanks

if positive is anyway of knowning if the virus pre existed ( my wife is positive in hsv 1 ) or was acquired  in the last fortnight as result of frottage and or oral sex with a sex worker?

regards

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 06:36:55 pm »
Three quarters of the population has hsv1.

Offline worried

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2006, 09:16:48 am »

i was wondering about possible herpes infection

- i have never in my life any herpes outbreaks
- is a blood test 2 weeks after exposure reliable ?
- if  i was newly infected should i expect some symptoms within 25 days. the only abnormal thing
  which i have observed to myself i a mild pain to the upper part of my right leg which goes away
  when rest it. maybe it is a reflection paint from my bottom because it happens when sitting and
   believe me i have spent hours due to anxiety in front of the pc
- if positive in tests is anyway knowning if the infection pre existed or is a result of my recent
   encounter.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2006, 09:39:44 am »
It's understandable that you're concerned, but you should be discussing your symptoms with your doctor. This is an HIV site.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline worried

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 01:04:30 pm »

as Ann suggestion today i finsihed my full sti test ( chlamidia , gonorhea, herpes ) all came back negative.

is this development puts more weight on your original assesment of no hiv risk exposure and i should leave it behind and test again for hiv in my next annual exams

by the way this year annual exams done a week after the risk exposure came out negative for hiv as well

regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 02:25:38 pm »
Worried,

Our assessment of no hiv risk does not change with your negative STI panel. No matter how you look at it, you didn't have a risk for hiv infection.

And yes, by all means test next year at your next annual check. You are ok for now. Use condoms and stay that way!

Ann
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:32:35 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 06:52:40 pm »
hello ann

if you have time can you please address following points :

- i read that ars symptoms appear between 2-4 week of exposure and mainly between 10-20 days after exposure and up to 70 pct of infected persons experince same. is it true and can we say that the absence of symptoms is just an indication of infection or not ( not conclusive evidence )

- an elisa test at 17 or 21 days post exposure is at all indicative or simply waste of time and money

- infection in the household ( leaving with a peston hiv + i understand that is very unlikely if there is no sexual act or blood exchange i.e small cuts in the lips or hands are potential source of infection if come into contact with infected blood but the virus does not leave in the air so how is it possible to get infected.

- you can be infected with precum i understand that precum is the fluid just before ejaculation is it correct and do all the men have precum

thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 07:01:59 pm »
worried,

Symptoms or the LACK of symptoms means nothing. Only hiv testing will reveal your hiv status.

In my opinion, an hiv test before six weeks is a waste of time and money.

You will not become infected with hiv through living with an hiv positive person unless you have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with them.

Yes, precum is the fluid that may or may not come out of a penis before ejaculation. Some men have it, some don't, some do sometimes and don't other times. You'll know it when you see it.

Precum is also infectious - during unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

Please remember, you did not have a risk of hiv infection in the incident you brought to us. You are hiv negative. Don't forget to have your routine, annual test again next year. As long as you keep using condoms, you will keep testing negative.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 03:25:27 am »

thanks ann

of course you are right. i know this an hiv forum and not a forum for the emotional support of scared and irrational persons like me so i do not expect a reply to this i am just writting it in an effort to help myself

actually the risk which i described is even less most pobably there was no insertion of penis head. i asked the girl and confirmed me that she even told that  she had a full check up last may she always use condoms and regulary she donates blood for a friend with kindey problems.

when i think with calm i can see how irrational i am but when my child enters the equation i think that everytime when she will have a flu i will see in front of me  ars symptoms ( even if i know that household transmission cannot happen if there is no sex)

i had another exposure 32 days ago just handjob not even oral sex ( the girl tried to give me oral sex with a condom which she put on me but i said no and took it of and gave me a handjob)  not even frottage but because i cannot remember every single moment of the encounter i keep asking myself are you that alll only these happen. yes i am sure for god's sake but simply i cannot convince my self to let it go , it was after all noon time and i was not drunk and i felt no anxiety after the event .

that's all

Offline worried

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 10:33:43 am »

hello ann

in an effort to easy my mind i had an eliza test at 04 weeks ( minus a day ) after possible exposure which of course was negative.

the private clinic told me that most of the people close to 90 pct if infected within above time should have produced antiboties to be detected with mondern elisa test.

based on my exposure ( which i greatly exaggerated to them as being a brief about 1 minute unprotected vaginal intercourse ) they told just for peace of mind to have another test at 13 weeks not that for medical reasons is needed

is it true that the vast majority of people with modern tests produce detectable antibodies within 04 weeks?

regards
worried

Offline worried

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 01:26:16 pm »

have you come accross or heard of many case of a person with my exaggerated risk i.e 30 secs of unprotected vaginal sex, develop no hiv infection symptoms, test elisa negative at 26 days, test negative for sti (chlamydia, herpes), and test positive for hiv in a future test?

a reply will be highly appreciated as just got back my negative test and i want to close this issue.

Offline worried

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2006, 01:06:52 pm »
if you have time i would appreciated your judgement on the following once more

let's say my risk exxagerated was 30 sec of unprotected vaginal sex

- escort girl confirmed to me that she tests regulary ( twice per year) all ok
- develop no ars symptoms - 05 weeks post exposure
- test negative for other sti
- test negative by  elisa test at 27 days past exposure
- i have no other exposure

you already have replied to various points but i will appreciate i whole overview. based on the above have you come accross a lot of persons who have test positive later. my doctor told me that elisa test at 27 days is not conclusive but in compination with the lack of other sti and symptoms ( which usually appear between 10-20 days) the result is close to 95 pct accurate

just i need a final positive word to get off internet.

please 

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 01:35:42 pm »
Worried,

Let's NOT exaggerate your risk.  What's the point.  Your risk is what it is...... no risk whatsoever.  You're getting a bit obsessive about this and continually surfing the web is only going to feed your unfounded fears.

Morgan
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 01:37:46 pm by Morgan »
Morgan Landers

Offline worried

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 02:53:30 pm »

thanks morgan

i am obsessed no question about it that is why i want to end the story

what do you think however about doctor's assessement that taking the brief nature of the exaggerated exposure and the other factors stated,  infection even in this worst case senario is highly unlikely.  He told me , even if he was no an hiv expert, that getting infected after a brief exposure of 30 sec, develop no symptoms , get free of other sti, not found positive in 04 months elisa test and despite that be infected can happen but i my chances are 1,000 times more than winning the national lottery

however he was not an expert and i wanted an andvice

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 03:24:32 pm »
Worried,

I think you should trust your doctor's assessment.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline worried

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 09:16:47 am »

hello a quick question

when you give your assesment of the risk exposure is it given on the assumption that the other person is positive or you  is it a combination of the risk level and the possibility of the other person to be infected?

my 26 days negative test stated:

antibodies for hiv1 and hiv2 : negative     negative < 1,0 IV can you make out from the above how modern the test was. 

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 10:54:55 am »
Worried,

It is given with the assumption that the other person is positive.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline worried

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2006, 09:51:06 am »

hello again

i took another elisa 3rd generation test at 6 weeks minus 3 days nagative of course as you had predicted.

is it possible for someone with a minimum exposure let's say 10-15 sec of unprotected vaginal sex ( exaggeration ) to be tested negative at 04 and six weeks develop no symptoms despite his big anxiety, check negative for other sti at six weeks and then turn positive

please advice

Offline worried

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2006, 11:29:57 am »

just for information reasons is there a known percentage of persons irrespectively of risk that test negative at 5 and half weeks and subsequently test positive

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2006, 01:03:17 pm »
worried,

As you have been repeatedly told, it is highly unlikely that you would have become infected from your sex worker experience.

I do not expect further testing to return anything other than another negative result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 03:38:43 pm »

hello

a question for now but also for future reference...

can you consider a negative PCR testing and elisa testing at 5 and a half weeks post exposure along with as  the same as 13 weeks test.

regards

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2006, 03:57:01 pm »
Worried,

No.

Normally you would need to follow up with a 13 week conclusive test, but in your case, as you have had no risk to begin with, it's not necessary.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline worried

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 07:36:10 am »

thanks morgan , ann

irrespectively from my exposure which i do understand that was non- existance but  i cannot help it due my anxiety as i had another ( of course ) negative test at 8.5 weeks are you sharing my doctor's view and the view of other internet forums that a negative test at 8,5 weeks is very highly unlikely to change and it is only has been seen in very rare occassions.

thanks for all your patience

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2006, 07:47:11 am »
Worried,

Yes.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline worried

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2006, 07:20:50 am »

ann. morgan

good morning

i was wondering as this is an educiational site could i make reference to the facts of a case which came accross in another forum. i don't want you of course to make any comments on the advice given not even to comment on the case itself but by going through the case to  underline again some facts relating to risk exposure , testing and confirmation of a positive test.

I am saying this bacause without being an expert the case seems to be a real one and every fact of it seems as being the exception to the rules. really scared me

thanks

thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2006, 07:43:16 am »
Worried,

Please do not bring unsubstantiated infection stories from other websites to this one. We do not go by these types of patient report, we go by up-to-date, first tier, peer reviewed studies as published in current editions of medical/scientific journals.

Unless you have a current, peer-reviewed study to bring to our attention, don't bother.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2006, 08:13:45 am »

thanks ann

point understood.

As i can not overcome my anxiety despite my recent 8,5 weeks negative elisa test do you thing that  a pcr test at this late stage after the incident can be more 'reliable' and definite than an elisa test.

i know that my exposure was non existance ( actually i have played the scene a thousand times in my mind and could bet my lifes savings that there was not a penetration at all ) but mind is a powful thing and makes you doubt for obvious things.

thanks for your attention

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2006, 08:43:11 am »
worried,

I think you'd be foolish to get a PCR. They are not approved for diagnostic purposes because they have a high rate of FALSE positives. If you think you're stressed out now, just think how you'd feel if you got a false positive result.

You really need to chill out. You don't have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2006, 09:18:05 am »

thanks ann for your prompt reply

i will follow your advice and i will stop searching internet. as my doctor told the in an affort to calm me even if i had unprotected intercourse the chance of being infected from one exposure and at the same time  be free of other sti, develop no ars symptoms and be nagative at 5 and 8,5 weeks elisa tests is much less than suffering a heart attack if keep testing every two three weeks and find my self with a false positve

thanks ann, morgan  and if you ever come to greece send us a line

regards

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2006, 10:26:37 am »
Worried,

Greece??  I love greece.  I was in Europe for 3 weeks last October and spent 2 weeks in greece and 1 week in London.  The people are beautiful and the food is wonderful.  We don't get produce like yours in Arizona. 

I plan to go back soon.   :)

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline worried

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2006, 12:04:36 pm »

hello

i was wondering if you can help me with the following  issues :

1. i am planning of having a tatoo in my arm. Is getting a tatoo a risk of hiv transmission and if yes on what should
    i pay attention in order to avoid any risk

2. i had today , just for piece of mind (hopefully),  my 14 weeks elisa test.  To this respect

is 14th week conclusive irrespectively of the risk involved and the generation of the elisa test?

understand from the labatory that the 3rd generation elisa test are good for both hiv I and II contrary to the
     earlier generations which  preliminary were focued on hiv I. is this correct?

i know a silly question but have your heard of a false negative elisa test in terms that the antibodies were
    preseneted when the test was carried out and  by mistake were not recorded. I mean as hiv is not such a
    common test for most private labatories ( like other common blood exams) is it a test which requires
    experience and special knowledge.

Havind read this forum quite extensively a gave my brother following advises. quickly end of june he had once a
  brief  less than 1 min unprotected vagina intercourse with a woman . As like me he got scared, but he found
  the girl and she  was nice with him and at 5 week mark she carried out an elisa and pcr test which were
  negative. He also told him that had another hiv test done at March negative also.
   He was tested also negative at the same time.  I told him that there is still the chance that the girl was in
   her window period.  I also told him that performing oral sex to a woman and or fingering her is not a risk  of hiv
   transmission irrespectively how wet the woman was. Also the fact that he did not finish inside her does not
   make any difference in his risk, simply reduces the risk for the woman Also there is no realistic chance to infect
   his children unless he has sex with them or starting to exchange bloods!!! Following your advice i told him to
   have a 13 week test. I think that i gave him   correct advice if not please tell me.

The problem is that he went to the  specialist  std doctor and when he told him the tests done he examined
  his nodes all over his  body, the inside of  his  hands, his feet and throat  and told him no more tests are
  required and to go back to  his wife. He also told him that anyway one minute is too brief for hiv infection
  through vaginal intercouse to  occur and if he had come to him from the beginning he would not have
  recommended against testing.  Have you  come accross someone to be infected after one brief (1min)
  unprotected vaginal intercourse.
  I will very much appreciate your response because i think he must have this 13 week test, especially if it is to
  commence   unprotected relationships with his wife     

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2006, 12:31:31 pm »

hello

i was wondering if you can help me with the following  issues :

1. i am planning of having a tatoo in my arm. Is getting a tatoo a risk of hiv transmission and if yes on what should
    i pay attention in order to avoid any risk

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE IT DONE WITH A REPUTABLE/LICENSED PERSON YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE PROBLEM. MAKE SURE YOU ASK HIM HOW HE CLEANS HIS NEEDLES AND TELL HIM WHAT YOUR CONCERN IS.

2. i had today , just for piece of mind (hopefully),  my 14 weeks elisa test.  To this respect

is 14th week conclusive irrespectively of the risk involved and the generation of the elisa test?

YES, YOU HAVE A RELIABLE RESULT WHEN YOU TEST NEGATIVE 13 WEEKS.

understand from the labatory that the 3rd generation elisa test are good for both hiv I and II contrary to the
     earlier generations which  preliminary were focued on hiv I. is this correct?

YES,

i know a silly question but have your heard of a false negative elisa test in terms that the antibodies were
    preseneted when the test was carried out and  by mistake were not recorded. I mean as hiv is not such a
    common test for most private labatories ( like other common blood exams) is it a test which requires
    experience and special knowledge.

IF YOU HAD A STANDARD HIV TEST DONE THE RESULT IS RELIABLE. AND ON THE CONTRARY, AN HIV TEST IS VERY COMMON FOR LABS TO DO THESE DAYS. YOU WOULD NOT BE IN DANGER OF A FALSE NEGATIVE AT 14 WEEKS UNLESS YOU HAVE A SEVERELY DEPLETED IMMUNE SYSTEM (AND THIS IS NOT A SUBTLE EVENT WHEN IT HAPPENS, YOU WOULD KNOW) OR ARE AN IV DRUG USER. AS LONG AS NEITHER OF THOSE ARE FACTORS YOU'RE GOOD TO GO. 

Havind read this forum quite extensively a gave my brother following advises. quickly end of june he had once a
  brief  less than 1 min unprotected vagina intercourse with a woman . As like me he got scared, but he found
  the girl and she  was nice with him and at 5 week mark she carried out an elisa and pcr test which were
  negative. He also told him that had another hiv test done at March negative also.
   He was tested also negative at the same time.  I told him that there is still the chance that the girl was in
   her window period.  I also told him that performing oral sex to a woman and or fingering her is not a risk  of hiv
   transmission irrespectively how wet the woman was. Also the fact that he did not finish inside her does not
   make any difference in his risk, simply reduces the risk for the woman Also there is no realistic chance to infect
   his children unless he has sex with them or starting to exchange bloods!!! Following your advice i told him to
   have a 13 week test. I think that i gave him   correct advice if not please tell me.

YES, HIS RISK WAS VERY SLIGHT IN THAT INCIDENT BUT RE-TESTING AT 13 WEEKS IS ALWAYS A WISE PRECAUTION. I WOULD EXPECT HIM TO CONTINUE TO TEST NEGATIVE.

The problem is that he went to the  specialist  std doctor and when he told him the tests done he examined
  his nodes all over his  body, the inside of  his  hands, his feet and throat  and told him no more tests are
  required and to go back to  his wife. He also told him that anyway one minute is too brief for hiv infection
  through vaginal intercouse to  occur and if he had come to him from the beginning he would not have
  recommended against testing.  Have you  come accross someone to be infected after one brief (1min)
  unprotected vaginal intercourse.
  I will very much appreciate your response because i think he must have this 13 week test, especially if it is to
  commence   unprotected relationships with his wife       

IF ONLY TO RELIEVE HIM OF ANY WORRY IN THE FUTURE THEN I AGREE WITH YOU THAT RE-TESTING AT 13 WEEKS IS A GOOD IDEA. I CERTAINLY EXPECT HIM TO CONTINUE TO TEST NEGATIVE.

NEITHER OF YOU MAY EXPECT YOU WILL STRAY AGAIN IN THE FUTURE, BUT IF YOU DO JUST REMEMBER TO ALWAYS, ALWAYS! USE A CONDOM EVERYTIME FOR INTERCOURSE AND YOU WILL BE WELL PROTECTED.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline worried

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2006, 01:07:41 pm »

Thanks andy and be sure that if my test is ok tomo you will hear from me only when i contact you to know how your health is doing. everyone was very helpful in this forum

a small clarification you said my brother's risk was slight , Is it because the brief exposure or the subsequent testing. Is it true that with such brief exposure infection is quite unlike.

thanks

Offline worried

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2006, 11:41:04 am »
just for reference

13weeks test negative as you all had stated for the beginning.

thanks again for all the help

Offline worried

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2006, 05:03:35 pm »
hello just a couple of quick questions

is a 13 week elisa test conclusive irrespectively of the 'generation' used , and are any reported cases in the last years as, 'exceptions to the rule ' of people become positive after the 13 week mark

thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2006, 06:40:15 pm »
Worried,

A three month test is conclusive regardless of generation.

I've not read of any exceptions to the three month rule occurring in the past few years. The only ones I've read about occurred years ago.

You are conclusively negative and it is time you let this go.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline worried

a question
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2007, 04:27:44 am »

i did not know how to start a new topic so i put my question in the old one

a relative of mine is going to have a therapy to her immune system which includes transfusion of lymphocyte cells to her skin from a donor who has been checked for among other things for hiv with a standard elisa test.

doctor says that is ok but just for my knowledge is the risk of getting hiv for transfussion of positive blood products the same as having unprotected sex with a positive person lower or higher

thanks

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2007, 09:28:27 am »
Contaminated blood is generally a thing of the past.  Blood supplies are double and triple checked.  So please don't go freaking out your relative.

That being said, the answer to your question is that due to the virus being inserted DIRECTLY into your bloodstream it is very high risk.

AGAIN, don't go freaking out your relative.  They are double and triple checked.

She will NOT get HIV from this procedure.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.