Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:44:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 166
Total: 166

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 96356 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2011, 05:46:27 pm »
Ya'll must be living at a lower standard than us Tennessean folk.... we throw that part of the watermelon on the ground, leave it for the coons.  lol

There's really not much we throw out in my neck of the woods. The coons are on their own.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »
There's really not much we throw out in my neck of the woods. The coons are on their own.

-W

Ain't you got one of them Mercedes touring sedans, feller?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2011, 06:00:27 pm »
Ya'll must be living at a lower standard than us Tennessean folk.... we throw that part of the watermelon on the ground, leave it for the coons.  lol

Now Thomas.. you know not to knock it till you've tried it baby.  It actually becomes translucent and is spicy with a little bit of a crisp to it when the process is done correctly.  You just have to keep the flies off if you eat it outside.  

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2011, 06:04:21 pm »
Now Thomas.. you know not to knock it till you've tried it baby.  It actually becomes translucent and is spicy with a little bit of a crisp to it when the process is done correctly.  You just have to keep the flies off if you eat it outside.  

I was just kidding with them.  I hope they didn't take it to heart, I have to remember they ain't tokin right now....

Btw, as long as you swipe the flies from my piece of racoon I'll try it once.  I can't believe ya'll pickle coon too.. just don't seem right.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2011, 06:14:01 pm »
I was just kidding with them.  I hope they didn't take it to heart, I have to remember they ain't tokin right now....

Btw, as long as you swipe the flies from my piece of racoon I'll try it once.  I can't believe ya'll pickle coon too.. just don't seem right.

Dude.. you know I kid around.  There is a store here in SC that just got busted for selling raccoon meat.  I dont want tree rat either.  I did try rattlesnake in Phoenix once but had some major munchies going on at the time.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=599038
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 06:20:42 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2011, 06:18:23 pm »
Ain't you got one of them Mercedes touring sedans, feller?

Yes, and my penny pinching dont throw anything out attitude bought it. Err, or maybe it was the Cocaine sales. Either way, eat them rinds!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2011, 08:33:36 pm »
Skeebo why dont you make that roux with butter or ghee.  Margarine is going to rot your arteries.

Re: pickled watermelon - have found this many times in Brooklyn but its been vinegary and spicy.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 08:37:51 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2011, 09:50:04 pm »

You could also use bacon grease..

Offline mecch

« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2011, 08:43:28 am »
Yes any kind of animal fat even the most saturated.  Just saying.  Took a couple of nutrition classes and every professor said margarine is one of the worst products foisted on the American public.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #259 on: April 11, 2011, 11:12:31 pm »
Dude.. you know I kid around.  There is a store here in SC that just got busted for selling raccoon meat.  I dont want tree rat either.  I did try rattlesnake in Phoenix once but had some major munchies going on at the time.

http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=599038

busted for it?  There's a store in Natchez that advertises it.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2011, 01:20:45 am »

You guys eat the watermelon rinds?   I've never heard of this before... It's not a Southern thang is it?

Yeah, like canned beans... blech
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #261 on: April 12, 2011, 06:13:15 am »
Didn't we have this conversation a few years ago about boudin? 
I haven't eaten that many varied cuisines but so far the ones in my limited experience most willing to find a palatable way to serve ANYTHING have been Southern soul tradition, French and Chinese.
I read about a trend to try to sell insects on the American market - gee I don't see that really taking off!

Offline mecch

« Reply #262 on: April 12, 2011, 06:49:58 am »
What are the local foods you can or can't or won't eat?  Whats the recipe for the ones you can?

My love/hate with French Food:

French food I can enjoy but makes me queasy all the same:

frog (barf! but its tasty enough)
rabbit dishes especially if there are bones (sorry they are too cute to eat, and aren't they rats???)
marrow direct from the bone (caveman feeling)
pigs feet (wrong feeling that they are dirty)
oysters (gross but yummy)

French food that tastes OK but is so repulsive to my mind I can’t eat it:
french snails (though I love Irish sea snails).
organ meat dishes – brain, heart, kidneys (rognons), liver (except foie gras, hypocritically)
blood sausage (blood sausage)

Vile French food I can’t eat, unless I absolutely must to be polite or fit in
Tripe (ground up gut stuffed into intestines) BARF
Certain overripe smelly cheeses  (why why why do these exist?)

French food I eat willingly, enjoy, and do not have emotional or political hangups about
horse
foie gras
sweatbreads (pancreas or thymus but the thymus is better)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:03:42 am by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #263 on: April 12, 2011, 07:20:17 am »
So while the French eat horse regularly, for the Swiss its an important meat - you can get it in so many forms. Burgers, steaks, salami, dried and sliced, etc etc. 

I dont know why I never flinched about horse when I moved here from NY.  I never ever ate horse growing up thats for sure.  I can't deal with rabbits because I had neighbors who grew them - some were pets and others were eaten. It was far too confusing and disturbing for me to eat rabbit without thinking about it.

The horse recipe is easy - just cook the steak the same way you would a similarly thick beef steak. It cooks a little faster, and isn't so fatty so you probably want a sauce if you are hankering for a "rich" meal.

Some american food I have never tried and would like to:  croc or aligator, critters, moose (I guess that's more Canadian but they have them in Maine too, right?).

What critters do people REALLY eat?  Have they ever been on chain restaurant menu, for example?

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #264 on: April 12, 2011, 07:32:36 am »
oysters (gross but yummy)

I love oysters!  Its great to eat steamed oysters just a few hours after they gather them from the salt marsh creeks.  Crack them open then dip them in some clarified butter and eat em while they are hot.  YUM!

Liver puddings:  Never liked the looks of it and seriously doubt I will try it.  

Squirrel (aka Tree Rat):  NO WAY!!

I did try stewed goat once that was made by some friends of mine that moved here from India.  That was actually very good.  

Offline mecch

« Reply #265 on: April 12, 2011, 07:35:56 am »
No problem with goat and lamb meat for that matter. Also I prefer goat and sheep cheese to cow.

I agree that steamed oysters are more palatable than raw.  I like em raw, but its always a little bit gross - the appearance and texture.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #266 on: April 12, 2011, 07:37:45 am »
I agree that steamed oysters are more palatable than raw.  I like em raw, but its always a little bit gross - the appearance and texture.

Me too if I know where they came from.  LOTS of hot sauce and a cold beer makes them even better.

Its time for us to roast a leg of lamb.  A spring lamb is great if its not overcooked.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:39:19 am by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #267 on: April 12, 2011, 07:45:41 am »

I want some fish.  It is damn near impossible to find anything fresh where I live unless you catch it yourself out of one of the many beautiful, mercury contaminated lakes near my home.

Offline mecch

« Reply #268 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:25 am »
For years I couldnt bear to chew them raw but now I don't quaff them I manage to chew.  

In my opinion oysters look just slightly more palatable before they shrink into themselves, from the lemon/vinegar or the fork.  

The flavor is good, the salt water, they are at least an interesting thing to be eating - the shells are pretty, etc. But its just one of those foods that always has a gag factor.   Scallops make me gag but I like them, and its not even the appearance cause they are pretty enough.  Something in the scallop has a gag factor.  For oysters, its just the appearance and a little bit the texture.

And we know other great things that make us gag but still are great .....
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:48:33 am by mecch »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #269 on: April 12, 2011, 08:03:22 am »
Skeebs,

Dont you have access to fresh ocean fish down in FL or do you just prefer inland fresh water fish?  Spanish mackerel, flounder, and spot are plentiful around these parts (of course when in season). 

Mecch,

Do they offer the smaller bay scallops there in Europe?  They should not have as much 'gag factor'.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #270 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:40 am »
Skeebs,

Dont you have access to fresh ocean fish down in FL or do you just prefer inland fresh water fish?  Spanish mackerel, flounder, and spot are plentiful around these parts (of course when in season).  

I'm in a small city in Central Florida, and the stores here simply won't stock anything fresh.    We have this mom & pop joint here called the Blue Crab House.  I went there one time.   They had a special on Wahoo... which is really good for Sushi by the way.   Anyways, I ate the special that night and my 4 year old had the King crab legs.  To this day, close to 6 years later, she still talks about the night daddy covered the floor in vomit at the local Economy Inn.  I had to close on the house I own now the next morning and blasted the walls of the closing agents bathroom  right after signing...  it was memorable.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:33:50 am by skeebo1969 »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #271 on: April 12, 2011, 04:33:22 pm »
she still talks about the night daddy covered the floor in vomit at the local Economy Inn.  

Once you get sick from any kind of fish, its not likely that you will ever want it again.  Projectile vomit has a way of making that a night to remember for sure. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #272 on: April 12, 2011, 07:05:23 pm »
Once you get sick from any kind of fish, its not likely that you will ever want it again.  Projectile vomit has a way of making that a night to remember for sure. 

I got really sick from eggs and ham once , took me years to eat either one again .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #273 on: April 12, 2011, 07:26:37 pm »
I vomited once from deep throating a XXL cock, but I rinsed my mouth out in the bathroom and went right back at it.

You girls are a bunch of weenies.

ps: I am now having cold shrimp and octopus salad.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 07:28:43 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #274 on: April 12, 2011, 08:18:19 pm »
I've eaten Squirrel (which tastes and has the exact same texture as rabbit to me) and alligator both.  I don't think I'll ever be able to eat raw oysters as I'm not fond of anything slimy (okra included)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #275 on: April 12, 2011, 08:51:02 pm »
I'm not fond of anything slimy (okra included)
ah! but fried okra (nearly the only way worth cooking it, although some okra in gumbo is okay) is not slimy. ;)

Liver puddings:  Never liked the looks of it and seriously doubt I will try it. 
mmm. Livermush is one of the things I missed all my years in the North and one of the first things I bought when I moved back to SC. If you eat it cold, it's best sliced, with mayo, on bread as a sandwich; otherwise dip slices in milk, then cover in flour. Fry until golden and serve on bread with mustard as a sandwich.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #276 on: April 12, 2011, 08:54:32 pm »
I love okra cooked or pickled , any way I can find or make it . I boil it and put it in the fridge to chill and eat the slimy things cold .
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 10:36:46 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #277 on: April 12, 2011, 10:22:19 pm »
I love okra cooked or pickled , any way I can find or make it . I boil it and put it chill in the fridge and eat the slimy things cold .

My long gone gag reflex is acting up thanks to this comment.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #278 on: April 12, 2011, 10:26:06 pm »

Gasp!! YOU...dont like Okra? You're a disgrace to the South. Get out!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #279 on: April 12, 2011, 10:33:02 pm »

*holds up his grits card for a pass*

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2011, 10:38:25 pm »

Its like a head cold , with extra salt .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »
Its like a head cold , with extra salt .

Girl you twisted.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #282 on: April 13, 2011, 11:20:44 pm »

Okrie is one I can only take if its cut into small pieces and fried to a crisp.

*holds up his grits card for a pass*

Trey baby, you Gulf Coast guys are 'first string' southerners.  You dont need no stinkin grits card to pass. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #283 on: April 14, 2011, 07:10:29 am »
Yesterday I was in Fribourg at the Uni.  The cafeteria lunch was horsesteak with herb butter (it was good), a sort of cauliflower gratin (the cauliflower was good the gratin pasty) plain noodles, a side salad (regret putting on the industrial ranch dressing) "curry soup" - or so they said - total barf.  For 9 bucks.  Pretty decent price for real meat.

Today I'm having a smoked mackerel sandwich (found the fish at 1/2 price) with horseradish and mayonnaise and pickles on heavy german brown bread and a glass of Rotkappchen which is the cheapest German sekt (bubbly) and very quaffable.  Dirt cheap - 4 bucks a bottle in discount shops. 

I commiserate with Skeebo on the fresh fish problem.  Here we are landlocked. The only real swiss lake fish can be had at a princely sum from a local fish shop or in a mid-priced restaurant along the lakes. But even they are discovered to serve fake local fish - frozen and from Eastern Europe. 

Smoked mackerel is dirt cheap and usually wild.  I only take home smoked salmon if its on sale and its the wild kind.

I think there is some huge problem with entire species of fish being politically incorrect but I haven't figured out the details.

On health grounds I try to avoid the farmed fish, if I am buying it myself, but wild fish is so freaking expensive.

Whatever happened to fish as one of the "basic food" groups!!!!

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #284 on: July 09, 2011, 10:43:17 pm »
Slow Cooked Bottom Round Roast

Prepped this tonight for cooking tomorrow -  it is so easy to prepare and always comes out delicious.

3 lb bottom round roast
1/2 large onion sliced
1/2 cup baby mushrooms
16 oz. can beef broth
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup canola oil
Meat tenderizer
Ground pepper
All-Purpose Seasoning
2 large eggs (stirred/beaten)
Additional seasonings can be added based on your tastes - mushrooms don't have to be included...
I have also made it without dredging the roast in flour and browning, but it does add additional flavor lightly browning it before slow cooking.
Heat canola oil in skillet
Trim excess fat off roast
Rub roast liberally with egg
Dredge roast in flour on all sides
Place roast in fry pan and lightly brown on all sides
Season roast on all sides w/ pepper, meat tenderizer, all purpose seasoning
Put  half of the sliced onions in bottom of slow cooker/crock pot
Place roast in slow cooker/crock pot
Pour beef broth around roast - add more seasonings - if desired
Add mushrooms on top and around roast and remainder of sliced onions
Set slow cooker/crock pot for "low" - 10 hours
After ten hours of cooking - be prepared to enjoy the most tender, well seasoned, flavorful roast you have ever had  :)
Suggest serving with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #285 on: October 03, 2011, 05:02:49 pm »

A friend of mine sent me this recipe last week, said I needed to try it.  I had it in the oven yesterday before the 1 pm games hit and let me just say this, it is amazingly delicious!

Penne Pasta with Braised Short Ribs

Ingredients
4 pounds beef short ribs
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
5 Roma tomatoes, cut into eighths
1 cup red wine, such as Cabernet Sauvignon
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 pound penne pasta
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Directions
Place an oven rack in the lower 1/3 of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Season the ribs with salt and pepper. In a large heavy-bottomed Dutch oven or ovenproof stock pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. In batches, add the ribs and brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the ribs and set aside. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, wine and mustard. Bring the mixture to a boil and scrape up the brown bits that cling to the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Return the ribs to the pan. Add the beef broth, cover the pan and place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours until the meat is fork-tender and falls easily from the bone.

Remove the ribs from the cooking liquid. Using a large spoon, remove any excess fat from the surface of the cooking liquid. Using a ladle, transfer the cooking liquid in the bowl of a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth. Pour the sauce into a saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Remove the meat from the bones. Discard the bones. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into small pieces. Stir the shredded meat into the sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and place in a large serving bowl. Using a slotted spoon, remove the meat from the sauce and add to the pasta. Pour 1 cup of the sauce over the pasta. Toss well and thin out the pasta with more sauce, if needed. Sprinkle the pasta with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley before serving.

The wife and I are having leftovers tonight!

Can't wait!

Skeebo

PS Be sure to use fresh parmesan cheese!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #286 on: October 03, 2011, 05:09:58 pm »
I love short ribs.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #287 on: October 03, 2011, 05:16:47 pm »

Same here, but these are on a whole different level--dayum good!

Offline Growler

« Reply #288 on: October 03, 2011, 07:26:07 pm »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 06:51:31 am by Growler »
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline notsosmartbod

« Reply #289 on: October 04, 2011, 12:06:55 pm »
Hi all - i hope you don't mind an interloper from the 'am i' forums but i've been salivating over some of the recipes on here for a while now and thought i'd jump in to say please keep posting recipes.  I'm housebound at the moment and getting rather chubby because of this thread  :)

I've got a couple of cocktail recipes and a soup or two if anyone wants to hear them?

(incidently if anyone has a good gumbo recipe then pls post it for me)

Notso

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #290 on: October 04, 2011, 01:38:02 pm »
Just an FYI - Notso was given permission to post in this thread. So play nice! :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #291 on: October 04, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »
I've got a couple of cocktail recipes and a soup or two if anyone wants to hear them?
I always like to hear recipes that someone has actually tried and liked.  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline notsosmartbod

« Reply #292 on: October 04, 2011, 05:15:24 pm »
'I always like to hear recipes that someone has actually tried and liked' - here's a couple  :)

Notso shot (rename at leisure)
1 shot of vodka
1 shot triple sec
2 shots of limoncello
1 pinch sugar and squeeze of lemon – mix this together before placing with other ingredients in shaker
Put all ingredients into a cocktail shaker with ice, shake well and strain into a tall glass.  This can be adapted slightly – i put a small piece of fennel into the glass after pouring... gives it interest. Can also be used as a long drink rather than a short shot; fill glass with any variety of lemonade (including cloudy) and enjoy.

Blue lagoon cocktail
1 shot of vodka
1 shot of blue Curacao
2 shots of lemonade (your favourite but not cloudy stuff)
¼ fresh lime
Half fill a glass with ice; pour the vodka, Curacao and lemonade into the glass in order (not compulsory) and then squeeze a quarter section of lime into it – then drink. 
This is a good one for the start of cocktail time – quite mild so you won’t fall asleep before the others have been tried. 

Peanut butter shortbread  (really quick and kids love helping)
6 oz plain flour
4 oz butter (not margarine)
2 oz sugar (white or brown but white is better)
As much crunchy or smooth peanut butter as you like – no more than half a jar though and smooth works best
Mix flour and butter together until it resembles breadcrumbs (big ones), then add the sugar and the peanut butter comes last.  Pat gently into a dish (glass preferably) and bake at gas mark 5 for around 20 mins  - apologies for those who don’t use gas mark. This shortbread is best eaten warm but will keep for around a week in a sealed container.  This recipe will make enough for about 6 people to have a smallish piece each – I always use double the amount.
I also have a good recipe for tomato and red pepper soup, I made it up for a place I worked at about 15 years ago and they now sell it.  Will post it another time if anyone’s interested (my wrists are hurting from typing)

Notso

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #293 on: October 04, 2011, 05:27:39 pm »
. So play nice! :)

Please, we are always on our best behavior.  ;D

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline notsosmartbod

« Reply #294 on: October 05, 2011, 06:35:31 am »
Please, we are always on our best behavior.  ;D

-Will
Just an FYI - Notso was given permission to post in this thread. So play nice! :)

Love this - feels like first day at secondary school again.  Don't worry about playing nice too much though. cant imagine anyone managing to offend me - i've got four brothers.  ::)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #295 on: October 05, 2011, 10:40:15 am »

and bake at gas mark 5 for around 20 mins  - apologies for those who don’t use gas mark.

Gas mark 5 = 375F or 191C.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Lugzsoo

« Reply #296 on: October 05, 2011, 12:51:12 pm »

Spotted Dick
2 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt
2 oz shredded suet
1 oz white or brown sugar
4 oz currants
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tbsp milk
Butter a 1.5 pint pudding basin. Sift the flour, baking powder, spice and salt into a mixing bowl and mix in the suet, sugar, fruit and bread- crumbs. Stir in the egg and sufficient milk to produce a soft consistency that drops off the spoon in 5 seconds.
Turn the mixture into the pudding basin, which should be two-thirds full. Cover with greased foil or a snap-on lid (the plastic container from a 2 lb Christmas pudding is worth saving for this purpose.) Steam for 2 to 2.5 hours. When cooked, remove the cover and allow the pudding to shrink slightly, then cover the basin with a hot serving plate, hold it firmly and invert. Lift off the basin to leave the pudding on the plate.

Serve hot with custard.

Mmmmm love this

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #297 on: October 05, 2011, 06:30:32 pm »

Spotted Dick
2 oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
pinch of salt
2 oz shredded suet
1 oz white or brown sugar
4 oz currants
2 oz fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
4-5 tbsp milk
Butter a 1.5 pint pudding basin. Sift the flour, baking powder, spice and salt into a mixing bowl and mix in the suet, sugar, fruit and bread- crumbs. Stir in the egg and sufficient milk to produce a soft consistency that drops off the spoon in 5 seconds.
Turn the mixture into the pudding basin, which should be two-thirds full. Cover with greased foil or a snap-on lid (the plastic container from a 2 lb Christmas pudding is worth saving for this purpose.) Steam for 2 to 2.5 hours. When cooked, remove the cover and allow the pudding to shrink slightly, then cover the basin with a hot serving plate, hold it firmly and invert. Lift off the basin to leave the pudding on the plate.

Serve hot with custard.

Mmmmm love this

It sounds yummy.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #298 on: October 11, 2011, 12:45:16 pm »
I am going to try a new recipe tonight.  I stopped at the Asian market the other day and picked up the ingredients to make panang.  This is one of my favorite Thai dishes and I hope that I can actually make it come close to tasting like it would in a good Thai restaurant. 

The hardest ingredients to find for this are the Kafflir Lime Leaves, and true Thai basil.  The market happened to have these in stock that day so I scarfed them up.

Ingredients:

12 oz. Sliced Chicken Breast
1 Can Coconut Milk
2 tablespoons ground Peanuts
1 tablespoon sugar
Thinly sliced Kafflir Lime Leaf
1/2 to 1 teaspoone Fish Sauce (to taste)
4 - 5 Thai Basil Leafs
2 oz. Panang Curry Paste ( more if you like the heat)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
Pinch ground Red Chili (to taste)

Heat sauce pan over medium heat. Add small amount of olive or peanut oil. Add Curry, lime leaf and Sugar
in the pan. As they reduce, add Chicken.  Sear chicken while mixing with curry spices. Add Coconut Milk. Bring to near boil, then simmer. Add peanuts. The longer you simmer the better. Minimum 15 to 20 minutes, several hours if time permits. Add bell peppers about 15 minutes before serving along with fish sauce.

I will leave out the fish sauce (because I really dont like that stuff too much).  Serve this over steamed white rice. Honestly, I have to use Indian Basmati... once you try that you just cant go back to eating any other kind.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #299 on: October 11, 2011, 01:03:33 pm »
I am going to try a new recipe tonight.  I stopped at the Asian market the other day and picked up the ingredients to make panang.  This is one of my favorite Thai dishes and I hope that I can actually make it come close to tasting like it would in a good Thai restaurant. 

The hardest ingredients to find for this are the Kafflir Lime Leaves, and true Thai basil.  The market happened to have these in stock that day so I scarfed them up.

Ingredients:

12 oz. Sliced Chicken Breast
1 Can Coconut Milk
2 tablespoons ground Peanuts
1 tablespoon sugar
Thinly sliced Kafflir Lime Leaf
1/2 to 1 teaspoone Fish Sauce (to taste)
4 - 5 Thai Basil Leafs
2 oz. Panang Curry Paste ( more if you like the heat)
1/2 Red Bell Pepper
1/2 Green Bell Pepper
Pinch ground Red Chili (to taste)

Heat sauce pan over medium heat. Add small amount of olive or peanut oil. Add Curry, lime leaf and Sugar
in the pan. As they reduce, add Chicken.  Sear chicken while mixing with curry spices. Add Coconut Milk. Bring to near boil, then simmer. Add peanuts. The longer you simmer the better. Minimum 15 to 20 minutes, several hours if time permits. Add bell peppers about 15 minutes before serving along with fish sauce.

I will leave out the fish sauce (because I really dont like that stuff too much).  Serve this over steamed white rice. Honestly, I have to use Indian Basmati... once you try that you just cant go back to eating any other kind.

Have you ever tried this over Jasmine rice instead?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.