Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:15:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 349
Total: 349

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lipo and buffalo removal  (Read 20322 times)

Offline Achilleslastand

Lipo and buffalo removal
« on: July 11, 2009, 02:58:00 am »
I have been in contact with wilshire aestetics http://www.wilshireaesthetics.com/feature/41/Corrective_Procedures_for_
about removing a hump and using silicone as a face filler.
They also told me that medicare pays for most of the treatments now....so all im responsible for is whatever medicare dosnt cover plus air and hotel{live in okla}
Anyone have any experience in this or advice?

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Lipo and buffalo removal
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 08:54:35 pm »
I didn't think Medicare would cover any of this. I'm pleased to hear it does.

Of course, I don't have Medicare, just private insurance which doesn't cover it. I guess I can start saving my pennies.

I wonder if he can do horsecollar necks as well?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 10:12:05 am »
My partner has this problem and he is going to contact Wilshire Aesthetics and get more information. I will post his findings.

Offline Giblarry

• Desert AIDS Project - Ribbon Man - 2009 Walk logo
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 12:08:16 pm »
I have been in contact with wilshire aestetics http://www.wilshireaesthetics.com/feature/41/Corrective_Procedures_for_
They also told me that medicare pays for most of the treatments now....so all im responsible for is whatever medicare dosnt cover plus air and hotel{live in okla}

Hi Achilles.

Sorry to get to this so long after you posted.  I've only been in the forums a few weeks. 

My Partner was just about the first one to experience buffalo hump in our area.  Scared the s**t out us because no one knew what it was.  But, Buzz researched and researched on the net until he found a clinical trial at Wilshire Group.  Harvey Abrams.  Right?  Anyway, Dr. Abrams liposuctioned away the hump.  Other doctors told us it wouldn't work and the hump would come back.  It's been twelve or thirteen years and it hasn't.  Of course, you're gonna have to change your diet.  Lo fat, wise eating. 

Oklahoma huh?  I was born there, in Cushing, and lived there a lot until I was around 28.  I built a lot of houses in Stillwater and Edmond.  Don't get back much anymore. 

Best of luck,
Gib

Offline frankt

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 02:49:28 pm »
had the front of neck done once when it was crazy big,it came back pretty quick but not as fast,same with buff hump which I have had liposucked twice and its still there. tried every diet. it never ends. hard to take off large fat deposit on back of neck because it has become a solid hard mass much the way the core of buffalo hump is.  i guess its worth the money to be able to look in mirror again but it doesnt last

Offline aztecan

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 10:19:28 pm »
had the front of neck done once when it was crazy big,it came back pretty quick but not as fast,same with buff hump which I have had liposucked twice and its still there. tried every diet. it never ends. hard to take off large fat deposit on back of neck because it has become a solid hard mass much the way the core of buffalo hump is.  i guess its worth the money to be able to look in mirror again but it doesnt last

Hey Frank,

May I ask what regimen you are on? I just switched my entire combo this year, ostensibly because of hi blood lipids. One happy side effect was I have begun losing the hump and neck.
I didn't notice at first, but others did. I had friends who hadn't seen me in a while comment on how much smaller my neck and hump were.

I know this is just anecdotal, but I thought I would bring it up in case switching regimens might be a possible solution for you.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline frankt

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 12:54:39 pm »
i saw your post under metaformin thread and its sounds very interesting. i am now on prezista,norvir,and truvada. have been on prezista since trials because i was out of options. it is first drug regimen that has got me to undetectable but ts remain at 300,but best of all I have very few internal sides.
I never heard of our neck condition described as horsecollar before but it fits. mine is the whole way around,even in back.
I cant imagine how great you must have felt to have someone remark on your improvement. Just ran into an old friend who I hadnt seen in ten years this weekend and it is so depressing when people do not even recognize you because your appearance has changed so much.
It is a real nightmare looking like this so maybe I should ask for a change. My cholesterol and trys are very high on this regimen even though I am on lipitor,diet,and exercise daily. Probably die of these drugs before hiv kills me.
I am so happy for you. I really mean that.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 06:29:52 pm »
I came across this article (in John's research thread) about a new way to remove buffalo hump, not sure if it's widely available:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v4j1k374586nr5x4/

wow, Mark, that's interesting, that the cervical dorsal fat and neck fat are improving with meds change.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 10:23:39 pm »
I came across this article (in John's research thread) about a new way to remove buffalo hump, not sure if it's widely available:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/v4j1k374586nr5x4/

wow, Mark, that's interesting, that the cervical dorsal fat and neck fat are improving with meds change.

Well, it was interesting. It came back with a vengeance. I also slipped up on my diet during the holidays and haven't been exercising as much.

I don't know if the neck and back will shrink again. I do know I need to get back to my mostly vegetarian diet and lots of exercise.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 11:43:38 am »

Now that we're on "fillers"...Don't know anything about hump removal.

Dr. Harvey Abrams is first class and either the most experienced, or among the most experienced, anywhere.
Now, each treatment is covered ($100? out-of-pocket) under most insurance coverage, following Medicare's decision that this was no longer considered "cosmetic".

You will need more than one filler treatment, 2, 3, or 4 in total, each some weeks apart. So the flying out, etc? ouch! Move here for six months! lol. Contact his office. PM me if you choose.

-steven (aka   8)  megasept)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 12:45:28 pm »
Now that we're on "fillers"...Don't know anything about hump removal.

Dr. Harvey Abrams is first class and either the most experienced, or among the most experienced, anywhere.
Now, each treatment is covered ($100? out-of-pocket) under most insurance coverage, following Medicare's decision that this was no longer considered "cosmetic".

You will need more than one filler treatment, 2, 3, or 4 in total, each some weeks apart. So the flying out, etc? ouch! Move here for six months! lol. Contact his office. PM me if you choose.

-steven (aka   8)  megasept)

What kind of filler are we talking about? I know he does SilkSkin (silicone microdroplets) but I guess he does others as well.

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 06:29:30 pm »
What kind of filler are we talking about? I know he does SilkSkin (silicone microdroplets) but I guess he does others as well.

whatever the filler brand name, it's always been silicone microdroplets. this is what he favors, anyway.

-steven (aka  8)  megasept)

Offline Drew

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:30 pm »
Does anybody know the differences in cost between liposuction and surgical removal of the buffalo hump? I understand that surgical removal is the only permanent solution.
Thanks

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 12:42:35 am »
Does anybody know the differences in cost between liposuction and surgical removal of the buffalo hump? I understand that surgical removal is the only permanent solution.
Thanks

If no one chimes in you can try asking Dr. Pierone.

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/FacialWasting/index.html

Offline Drew

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 08:44:39 pm »
Thank you Inchlingblue

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 09:08:25 pm »
If no one chimes in you can try asking Dr. Pierone.

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/FacialWasting/index.html

Dr. Pier One...does he handle furniture arrangements and Feng Shui?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.