Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:06:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 402
Total: 403

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: I can't catch a break  (Read 16749 times)

Offline Losing12

I can't catch a break
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:16:41 pm »
My story starts about 10 weeks ago I had unproted vaginal intercourse with a massage girl. One week after that I became very nauseas and was unable to eat for two weeks. The third week I wasn't able to sleep and every muscle in my body hurt.at this time I appeared to a white tounge with swollen papilae all over and canker sores on the tip of my tounge. I've had this numb feeling in my temple and cheekbone the whole time and my eyes have been sensitive to light since week 3. I have ha a low grade fever 99.00 to 99.7 for the last 6 weeks and swollen lymph nodes all over.
    I tested rapid tests 3,4,6 and 8.5 weeks all negative. I was feeling pretty good about the 8.5 weeks the last couple of days until I read that seroconversion can be delayed due to coinfection of hep c. There is no other explanation for my symptoms so it must be that I'm delayed. Please help!!!

Offline Losing12

Re: I can't catch a break
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:46:06 pm »
The reason I think maybe I have hep c is because I had very light stool for a couple weeks during all this. My only other sexual encounter was rimming a female I did not know. Crazy because today my lymph node under my chin started hurting. Wed I go for an endoscopy because I have been having trouble swallowing. I have the biggest fear it's going to be esophageal thrush. I was starting to feel better the last few days but now this hep c thing has got me back where I started.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 07:47:02 pm »
Seroconversion is NOT delayed by HCV. Get your 3 month conclusive test result then move along.

Offline Losing12

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 08:09:40 pm »
If I got it from that encounter or the one a few month earlier it would delay wouldn't it?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 08:10:34 pm »
If I got it from that encounter or the one a few month earlier it would delay wouldn't it?
NO.

Offline Losing12

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 08:18:37 pm »
Rapid rod what is your option about a 8.5 week negative? Also what the hell is wrong with me then? A virus can't last this long and I still have all these symptoms. Can anxiety and stress really drew someone up this bad. Why does CDC recommend 12 month testing for coinfection?

Offline Losing12

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 05:52:50 am »
IM a little concerned that no one else is commenting

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 05:55:42 am »
IM a little concerned that no one else is commenting
Because you were already answered.

Offline Losing12

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:51:50 am »
RapidRod could you please look at my other questions? About 8.5 weeks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 07:53:05 am »
RapidRod could you please look at my other questions? About 8.5 weeks
You already know that your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline Losing12

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 08:15:25 am »
Seeing my exposure and my test at 8.5 weeks is that encouraging? Have you seen a lot of people test positive after a 8.5 week neg?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:09 am »
All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will have done so by 6 weeks after the exposure.

So YES!, your negative at 8.5 weeks is more than just encouraging. I expect you to test negative again at 3 months. In the meantime get busy with other things in your life and you will find the waiting time will pass much more easily than you may imagine is possible.

I expect you to come out of this ok.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:34:00 am »
Andy, thank you so much for responding, I sooo wanted to hear from you. My fear is Andy that I worried so much that I suppressed my immune system and it is not producing antibodies. Also a fear of coinfection with hep c. Have you seem many people turn positive after 61 days? Can stress really cause this much distress on my body? Andy you do so much for many people and I commend you. I would appreciate any sort of comfort or option you could provide.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 08:45:39 am »
I've already said that I expect you to continue to test negative. I don't have anything to add to that. Now get on with other things in your life while you are waiting to re-test and to collect what I expect will be a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 08:55:47 am »
Andy once again thanks for your response but how about the hep c issue? The reason I ask is for a period of about two weeks I had very light colored stool.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 09:04:20 am »
Our focus here is strictly on HIV. Stool color can change for all sorts of reasons.  If you have a concern about Hep C that is something to discuss with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 09:06:23 am »
Sorry I was referring to a delayed seroconversion du to coinfection

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:23 am »
Stop self-diagnosing yourself. That's bad for your health. You aren't going to have any co-infection situation as you are extremely unlikely to get anything other than another negative result when you re-test for HIV shortly.

If you have concerns about Hep C I've already told you to discuss that with your doctor. although given the facts of the situation which brought you here I don't see any reason to think Hep C is an issue for you.

I don't have anything else to add to this conversation.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 09:19:54 am »
Sorry Andy! I didn't mean to upset you. I have been going through a hell the last 8 weeks. Just trying to find some sort of comfort. Please forgive me.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 09:21:01 am »
You haven't "upset" me. Just get on with your life. As I said, I expect you to come out of this ok. Now get busy with other things today.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:13 pm »
Andy, I was driving home today and noticed my jaw was hurting. When I got home my jaw was swollen. I'm assuming my lymph node is swollen. It's on the same side as my armpit and groin swollen nodes are. I'm wondering since my other nodes have been swollen for weeks now could it be possible for others to swell up during ars weeks later? Or could I have been sick with something else before and only now 9 weeks later seroconverting? New things have popped up in the last couple days like my knee is real sore and a pain in my thigh and now my jaw. Is it possible for someone who is sick with something else get the acute infection after 9 weeks? Please help!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:22 pm »
Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. At this late date I don't see anything about seroconversion happening with you. As I have said repeatedly, I expect you to test negative at 3 months.

We can't diagnose anything in this setting. I can only repeat that it's not about HIV. Not with a negative result at 8.5 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 04:54:26 pm »
You just made me cry and smile at the same time with you last comment. This is the first time I've cries during this whole event. My life has been a living hell. Thank you do much Andy!!! You are amazing.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 05:46:07 pm »
You're welcome. Now get on with your day.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2012, 06:15:52 am »
Losing,

You were much more likely to have picked up hep B from your activities, particularly the rimming. Hep C is rarely sexually transmitted, but hep B is commonly sexually transmitted.

Like Andy, I also do not expect your 8.5 week negative hiv result to change. Go get checked out for all the other more easily transmitted STI, including hep B.

None of your symptoms sound even remotely like hiv seroconversion.

Again, I do not expect your negative result to change when you confirm at the three month point.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Losing12

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:44 am »
Ann,

Thank you for replying. One thing though you say these symptoms are not remotely ars symptoms. I have read on this forum under seroconversion and there are many who state the symptoms that I have. My eyes being sensitive and oral thrush low grade fever for so long what else could it be? I believe I was vaccinated for hep b. I'm very concerned. I went for my endoscopy today and was about to change and the dr threw his back out. So now I have to wait longer to see if I have esophageal thrush. My mouth has been sore for over 6 weeks. I have a chalky taste on my tounge an when i smoke the taste is very different. I have to believe that this is thrush. It is too strange that all this happenend after a unprotected sexual experience. Have you seen people turn positive after 8.5 week negative? I've been sore in my calves knees and hamstrings the last few days, could I be seroconverting now after 10 weeks? All these symptoms have to add up to something bad.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2012, 09:25:54 am »
Losing,

Believe what you want, but your mouth thing isn't necessarily thrush. 

No, I have never seen a six week or more negative result change. And NO, seroconversion does not happen at ten weeks.

I fully expect you to test conclusively hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Losing12

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2012, 09:40:56 am »
Thank you Ann!!! I wish I knew what is wrong with me. Everyday it seem something new pops up.

Offline Losing12

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2012, 11:37:02 am »
Ann, they that stress affects the immune system so why would it be beyond the realm of possibility that that is delaying my seroconversion? A week after the incident I had sex with my wife 5.5 weeks later she had a sore throat for a couple of days and a few days later had the stomach bug for 5 days and just now she told me that she is exhausted. She had a slight fever during this time also. I'm really losing it. Where has all the 8.5 week info been compiled how can anyone really know since all bodies are different? And have you ever seen so many coincidences?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:20 am »
Frankly this is all about your guilt over having strayed. I don't see any credible reason to doubt that you are going to test negative again.

Through your mindset of guilt you are piecing everything that happens or doesn't happen as another confirmation of your worst fears.

I'm not willing to answer each and ever blip of fear and doubt that you come up with. You're going to get tested and hopefully the negative result we expect will put a finish to these unwarranted fears of yours.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2012, 02:54:13 pm »
Andy, Ann

I won't bother you guys with any more questions so this is it. HIV transmitted from a one time vaginal sex experience ia like .01% and the chances that the women had HIV are .01% would you say that after my 8.5 week test that Im 90% in the good? An by the way this women gave me her number after I asked her the first if she had HIV. She had answered my phone calls and I've seen her 3 times face face and she is adamant that she is clean. I believe she believes she is clean but who knows. Please Ann and Andy respond to this last one and the next time you hear from me will be my 13 week results in 3 weeks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2012, 03:01:48 pm »
Losing,

Forget statistics. They are unhelpful when evaluating individual risks.

We've told you repeatedly that your 8.5 week negative is highly unlikely to change. Any negative result after six weeks is highly unlikely to change. Are you listening to a single word we say? Enough with the drama.

You need to know that it is highly insulting to use the word clean to describe a person's hiv status. I'm clean, thank you very much. I shower daily. However, I am also hiv positive. To refer to an hiv negative person as clean is to imply that hiv positive people dirty. Knock it off - and remember that in future.

You need to get off the internet and get busy with other things while you wait for your three month negative confirmation. Because that is exactly what you're going to get - confirmation of your negative result.

We're not here to hold your hand during the window period. We've answered your questions and our answers are not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Losing12

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 03:11:22 pm »
Ann I'm soooooo sorry it came across that way. Those were the words she used to tell me that she has nothing. I in no way meant anything by that. I am a very compassionate person who has been reading all forums for 6 weeks day an night. I read the ltnp forums and they have all given me hope. I want to be a help in this in the future and be one who tries to help those going through this. I appreciate everything you've said to me. I'm just in a hell right now and trying to find comfort please forgive me. There is no intention to offend.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 04:13:40 pm »
Duly noted. Now get on with other things during the time you have to wait until you re-test.

We've nothing to add to your situation so stop all the drama. We expect you to come out of this ok.

If you come back with more fretting you're going to get a Time Out. Consider yourself warned.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2012, 08:28:26 am »
This is now getting ridiculous !!! Today when coughing there was alittle blood in my mucus and my legs feel very week.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:16 am »
This is now getting ridiculous !!! Today when coughing there was alittle blood in my mucus and my legs feel very week.
See a doctor if you are concerned as Andy said, there is nothing more to add and you are on the verge of getting a time out.

Offline Losing12

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 08:37:50 am »
I was just stating what was going on with me. Just looking for support not looking for answers. Sorry

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 09:11:35 am »

If you come back with more fretting you're going to get a Time Out. Consider yourself warned.

Losing,

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. I'll make it two weeks - fourteen days - so you can come back and tell us the result of your confirmatory three month test.

I suggest you use this time to see a doctor to find out what is actually going on with you.

Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently warned.

As we've told you again and again and again, your result is not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Losing12

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 12:02:11 pm »
Hello Andy and Ann

I hope you guys are well. It has been a very tough couple of weeks for me. I got so stressed out that on tues Feb 14 I went to the emergency room in NYC. I could not swallow and my whole body was numb. The dr came in and I told him my whole story. He said to me it's ok and I was probably seroconverting late but not to worry people live very normal lives with HIV nowadays. I asked him if it could be anything else and he just had a look of pity on his face. My heart was going so fast they gave me Valium and 4 times had to give me Ativan . As the day went on I told him about thrush he said you don't have it. Then I told him about swollen lymph nodes and he said you don't have them I told him of my low grade fever for 8 weeks and he did a rectal temp it was normal. And they did a rapid oral test which was 10 weeks and 4 days and it came out negative. So guess what the next move was they called physch and the next thing I knew was they were trying to keep me for 72 hours. I got out of it thank god. The next day I went to a top of the line phycatrist and he told me I was in a mixed state and prescribed me seroquel. Meanwhile everyone is telling me I don't have HIV but in my heart and mind I have it. I have a few questions and will not obsess over this to get kicked off again but if I could get feedback from rod, Ann and Andy i will be satisfied.
1. Can my mind really create all these symptoms low grade fever numb tingiling hip sore tounge and numb side of face along.
2. How does ks start I have been growing moles on my stomach for the last month confirmed the are round and brown could this be ks ?
3 how reliable are the oral rapid HIV test?
4. With all these symptoms wouldn't I have had detectable antibodies by now? I teste negative at 8.5 and 10.4
5. Would coinfection with any hepatitis cause a delayed seroconversion?

I will not obsess on this sight please just give me your best answers and thanks for putting up with me? I'm losing everything over this my marriage my job and most of all my mind. The dr at the hospital said you don't have HIV the two phycatrist said you do not have HIV all my family says the same. But if 3% of people seroconvert late that is still like 30000 a year that ls a big number. You guys are amazing an I look forward to your responses

Offline Losing12

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:16 pm »
Also they did a RNA test and said to me if I was positive someone would call that was nine days ago wouldn't the hospital have the results by now?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 12:46:23 pm »
Frankly I am unwilling to get into all the nuances of your questions. We have told you that we expect you to ultimately test negative. I'm sticking with that evaluation.

When I read something like the doctor's response to your "could it be anything else," I shrug in unappy wonder at the poor quality of medical care sometimes.  That's a ridiculous and unprofessional response.

In any case, as I said and I will repeat for what it's worth, I still expect your conclusive result to be negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 01:02:57 pm »
I respect your answer Andy. Thanks but pleas just give me your opinion on the qaulity of oral HIV test and I won't obsess. I respect your opinion very much

Offline Losing12

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 01:17:09 pm »
Please answer the ks question also and I will not ask another question about symptoms. I promise and If I don't please ban me

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »
The oral is an ok approved test.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 01:23:49 pm »
An ok approved test means reliable?

Offline Losing12

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 01:25:37 pm »
Ann And Andy I promise I'm not going to obsess just trying to get your opinions. I will not ask a million questions or doubt your answers

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 01:31:38 pm »
Yes, it means reliable. Behave yourself!

If you come back again you are getting a 56 day time out.

Last warning.
Andy Velez

Offline Losing12

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 01:48:36 pm »
I will behave sorry just wondering

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »
Losing,

1. Yes. Stress and anxiety can do a number on your body.

2. It's not KS. KS doesn't happen during seroconversion - it's something that happens further down the line in chronic infection.

3. They're VERY reliable. If anything, they are prone to false POSITIVE results, but not false negative.

4. No.

Please answer the ks question also and I will not ask another question about symptoms. I promise and If I don't please ban me

Symptoms?

You claimed to have swollen glands.

The doctor said "you don't have swollen glands".

You claimed to have thrush.

The doctor said "you don't have thrush".

You claimed to have a low-grade fever.

The doctor said "your temperature is normal".

Now you think you have KS.

The doctor said "those are moles". (people develop moles as they age - it's just part of life)

Even if any of these symptoms were real, you would have tested positive by now. You haven't and you aren't going to either.

Maybe you should have taken that psych hold and gotten some intensive therapy while you were there. Keep working with that "top of the line" psychiatrist you saw the next day.

Whatever your problem is, it is NOT hiv.

If you come back one more time with more of this hysterical, self-indulgent crap, you WILL be given a time out. You can come back to report your conclusive test result if you must, but we already know it's going to be another negative.

Please consider yourself warned for the LAST TIME!!!

Ann
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:05:19 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Losing12

« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 04:26:29 pm »
Ann thank you so much that was just what I needed. You guys are truley remarkable people. To put up with so many people like me lol . When I get better I would like you to direct me on how I can help. I've completly lost my mind over this it's all been a nightmare. I'm taking seroquel xr right now and I'm seeing a director of phycology and a phycologist. I need to get my mind right. But I feel strongly that I need to be involved in the fight against HIV. I might not ever know what it's like to be positive but I've seen the great strength in the people who are and the people who help out on these forums. God bless you Ann and Andy I wish there were different terms on which our paths crossed. I will include you in my prayers. Please advise on the best way I could help when I get my mind back.I promised no more questions so I will keep my promise. I will not test again because the hospital Roosevelt ran a RNA test and told me they would call me if positive that was 9 days ago. So no call I must be negative and yes it's all in my head.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.