Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:39:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 619
Total: 620

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada/Reyataz/norvir vs. Truvda/Sustiva  (Read 4430 times)

Offline Erico

Truvada/Reyataz/norvir vs. Truvda/Sustiva
« on: October 14, 2008, 09:44:00 pm »
Hi there,

I've got an appointment with my doc tomorrow (Thursday) and, well, it's time for me to start meds.
I've been poz since 2002, my CD4 are now about 300 despite a low viral load (average 3000-6000).

I have to say I did not expect this to come that fast, the percentage felt quickly from 25 to 16 withing one year. My doc really wants me to take the Truvada/Sustiva combo. I mean, he really insists on it.

I personally decided to start with Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir combination due to what I heard about Sustiva and the fact that I have to work at night (I'm a freelancer). This combo was just "validated" last summer by the European Union as first treatment and seems to be a bit exotic here for first line therapy.

I read about Ann's Sustiva experience http://blogs.poz.com/ann/archives/2008/09/a_virgin_no_mor.html  (thanks Ann) and, well, I wished I had the opportunity to try this stuff before making a decision.

Anyway, I know this topic was discussed many time, but I just need your thoughts about this and kind of reinsurance that my choice is ok. I'll probably have to discuss about all this in detail with my doctor and explain my position, so any thought about  the pros and cons between Reyataz//Truvada/norvir and Truvada/Sustiva is welcome.

Keep well  :)

Eric

Offline Sydney

Re: Truvada/Reyataz/norvir vs. Truvda/Sustiva
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 01:42:01 am »
Hi Eric,

I had the same combo (Truvada/Sustiva) strongly recommended to me by two different doctors.  For the same reasons as you have, I was very uncomfortable about the likely side-effects of the efavirenz in Sustiva (here called Stocrin).  So I did my research, opted for Viramune (nevirapine) instead of Sustiva, and stood my ground with the doctors.  (See my post about a month ago).  Peter Staley endorsed the reasonableness of my choice of Viramune over Sustiva (see his response in my post).  My doctors also endorsed that it was an acceptable alternative, given my relatively low viral load.

So in addition to the combo you're thinking of, you might also consider a Truvada/Viramune combo.  As I understand it, Sustiva is a very potent combination - warranted especially when there are high VLs (cca 100,000 or more).  But for lower viral loads, Viramune (combined with either Truvada or Epzicom) is effective and fairly benign in terms of side-effects.  You might find it helpful to do a search on Viramune - there's some very helpful information on the site.  For different experiences with the Truvada/Sustiva combination, read the posts on Atripla (which is the same combination in one daily pill).

I hope that helps.  And good luck.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.