Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:18:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 369
Total: 369

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm feeling really suicidal, I lost another job  (Read 3236 times)

Offline tippytu

I'm feeling really suicidal, I lost another job
« on: July 22, 2017, 08:54:37 am »
I lost my job of 9 years because my supervisor who soon became my ex supervisor made it her mission to get me fired. I found another job I loved and I was about to get Insurance again Aug 1st, I was let go yesterday because they said they just didn't have enough patients. I'm devastated I have no one to talk to and there are no other jobs in my field near me and I don't want to move again. We just moved here in Jan. My kids love it and I'm trying to provide them stability. Idk how I'm going to get my meds??

I'm so devastated I really think I was let go from my job because about 2 weeks ago someone called and said they wanted to cancel their appt with me because I was HIV+, but wouldn't leave their name. I'm pretty sure it was my first ex husbands gf as they are always threatening to use it against me..my heart hurts it hurts to breathe, the last few years have been torture and I'm not sure how much more I can take. This virus feels like it's always going to be my downfall. I wish I had the courage to swallow every pill I have and just sleep.

Thank you for listening I'm sorry but I really don't have anyone else to talk to

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm feeling really suicidal, I lost another job
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 09:10:51 am »
I'm sorry to read that you have lost your job and of your other difficulties over the past couple of years.

If you feel that you are going to hurt yourself, please go to the nearest hospital emergency room and seek assistance.  You may also access the link below for phone contacts that may assist you in your moment of need (presuming that you live in the area in which your IP address may indicate).

https://www.ok.gov/odmhsas/Mental_Health_/Children,_Youth,_and_Family_Services/Resource_Toolbox_for_Families/Hotlines_and_Helplines_for_Families.html

Depression is a temporary state of mind and has affected many of us.  When we are depressed we focus only on the negative and not on the positive.  You have many good things going for you:  your health, children who love and depend on you, and a future of hope.

You are a woman of great strength and resilience.  You will get through this.

Please get the support you need to help you through this difficult time in your life.  Please continue to use these forums for support and guidance and keep in close contact with us all.

My thoughts are with you and your children.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 09:27:42 am »
Follow Patrick's advice and seek help help now if you feel you are going to hurt yourself. Things are always worse than they seem and can turn from shitty to great in a heartbeat.

Sounds like you are in the medical field, have you thought of going out on your own ? There is an ever growing need for in home elder care, and you would be your own boss. In the mean time this link might help find the nearest ASO to help with your meds.

https://www.poz.com/directory

Wishing you the best,

Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 12:42:57 pm »
Sorry about what your going through Tippy, sorry you lost your job and that's pretty gross that your ex is making your life so miserable but it will pass, you will get through this too..

Take the advice of Patrick and Wade and talk to someone.. you may be surprised how people can help or point you in the right direction.. Let them know what's going on with you.. hoping you'll get this resolved.. Wishing you the best of luck.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 01:59:51 pm »
I once felt suicidal and am now doing very well. There is hope. You have kids who want and need you.

Are you eligible for Medicaid so that at least you wouldn't have to worry about meds during this period of transition?

You are needed and you are loved.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:37:42 am »

Hi Tippy,

I am sorry to hear about the job loss and I know all this stress is adding up for you.   Your situation reminds me so much of my own 13 years ago, and I have the scars from a few suicide attempts.   I am glad today that I failed.

While I am not a religious person, my mother was very much so.   She use to always say something along the lines of, "God will never put so much on your plate that you can't handle".   My plate, unfortunately, always seemed enough to feed 4 people.  When you are going through it, nothing no one says seems to help.

That's when you have to really decide where/when you are going to start working on changing your mindset.  There's assistance programs out there for people in your situation.

Is unemployment available since they let you go?  Are there any ASO's (AIDS service organizations) or health department facilities in your area, they can assist you with the med issue. 

Are your exes paying you child support?  I hope so.  I know when you were saying they were threatening you with outing your HIV status I always thought that this was their evil ploy to get you to not enforce their responsibility-- some guys are like that. 

Lastly, I don't mean to sound callous, but sister-- this is all going to take some legwork.  Set yourself a plan, and tackle one goal at a time-- everything cannot be done in a day.

Thomas
        (who thinks Tippy's a tough cookie)

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GingerNerd

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 08:05:04 am »
I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to note that you might consider seeing a lawyer, whether it's a private one or non-profit (like legal aid).

It might not be a road you want to go down, but there may be much more assistance available to you than you think. If you were fired because of HIV, it was most likely a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. If people are disclosing your status without permission, you might have various claims, including one for something called "public disclosure of private facts". Or maybe you need a restraining order.

You may also be able to get assistance applying for benefits that would help you get your meds or support your kids.

Consider it. You may consult someone and determine it's more trouble than you think it's worth to get into (sometimes it really is better to move on and let things go), but it doesn't hurt to get a sense of your options.

Hope you're doing better now.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.