Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 393
Total: 394

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hate This! Three Thrusts Unproteted  (Read 43132 times)

Offline Had Enough

Re: Hate This! Three Thrusts Unproteted
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2007, 09:57:40 am »
please help - this has always been the most informative site so I though i would help me to return for some clarification on STIs- I am in a relationship and we tested together for STIs including HIV and we were both negative. I have recently been on a stag weekend and selfishly slept with a couple of girls during the course of the week! I feel aweful about this as a feel very strongly for my girlfriend although my actions didnt show it. What I am worried about is that I have contracted an STI - ith was three days ago and i dont seem to have any symptoms (is it too early for symptoms) - i did wear a condom on both occassions for vaginal and anal sex and it didnt break, we performed unprotected oral on eachother on both occassions and rimming took place very breifly. I understand from the past posts that there is no concern for HIV here (is this correct?)!! please can you clarify how safe condoms are for other STIs and could I catch something without knowing about it! my worry is that I may pass something on to my partner. should I test and how soon can i test for STIs? Also what STIs could i catch and where would i see any symptoms?

MANY THANKS

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2007, 12:06:53 pm »
Had-

This is an HIV support/informational website. We do not discuss anything that does not really involve HIV.

The activities you post are not risky for HIV transmission.

Brent
(Who keeps things clear)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 07:31:05 am »
Andy, Anne please can you offer your advice

My question is that if i were to have an encounter with a female how could i consider a negative HIV antibody/p24 antigen Duo Test  be at 28 days? also would it be considered pretty much accurate any earlier? - i understand the CDC requires testing at 13 weeks however as the GUM clinic has told me I am at low risk of two time unprotected cunnilingus and recieving a BJ i want to test for peace of mind. I had an ulcer on my lip at the time thats all.

Im willing to pay for this test if you can tell me it is accurate! Please dont base your answer on my current risk! if you can answer assuming there was a risk i would appreciate it!

further i tested for all other STDs Chlamydia, Gon, after 3 days they came back negative but they said this was too early to test and asked me to go back after three weeks - do you know anything about this ? is 3 days too early for these types of STDs?

im worried about my regular partner and passing something on to her as we now have unprotected sex (we tested together)

please help and many thanks

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 09:12:59 am »
please help with the above!!!

thank you so much in advance

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 09:55:46 am »
Some STDs can be passed by skin to skin contact. You should be discussing this with your doctor or clinic if you are experiencing any symptoms.

It's only an opinion but I would say this is all about guilt and shame and not any real risk from what you have described. For sure HIV is not an issue because you used condoms. They provide very effective protection.

At the end of the day I expect you to come out of this ok as long as you don't needlessly torture yourself to death with guilt and remorse. Neither of which are any good for your relationship.

Otherwise, I say just get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 11:13:28 am »
thanks andy

can you or anyone else in the know possibly answer the following?

how many days should a HIV antibody/p24 antigen Duo Test be carried out ive been told by a UK clinic that it is 98.9%+ accurate at 28 days. But other people have advised me that the p24 antigen test should only be taken 2-3 weeks after for it to be effective. 28days is obviously 4weeks! which is correct?

thanks in advance

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2007, 12:33:59 pm »
You don't need to test to begin with. You didn't have a risk for HIV transmission.

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2007, 01:06:13 pm »
rapid

im aware that i probably dont need to test due to the kind people on this site and if i didnt have my partner to worry about i would probably forget the whole thing! as i do have my partner to worry about i want to make sure (piece of mind i suppose) and the HIV antibody/p24 antigen Duo Test will do that for me! please can you answer my question as i am most likely to go ahead and test. thing is i wont pay £110 if they will only perform this test at 28 days as they are stating yet it is supposed to be performed between 2 to 3 weeks

many thanks in advance

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2007, 01:38:59 pm »
P24 needs to be done within 3 weeks of possible infection. The antibody test is done 13 weeks or longer after possible exposure. Yes, at this time it would be a waste of money to take a DUO test when you can take an antibody test at 13 weeks and be done with it.

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2007, 07:36:18 am »
guys

i appreciate that using condoms meant i didnt have a HIV risk however, I performed oral sex on a woman and i remember havin mouth ulcers at the time does this pose a risk?

in what circumstance would cunnilingus be viewed as posing a risk?

Im also concerned as at 10 days i came down with a flu like illness and my regular partner also then proceded to have it too - im scared ive passed something on to her!! i have read that 10 days is too early for HIV related symptoms - how true is this?

ive decided to pay for a HIV DUO Test (p24 antigen / antibody test) at 28 days as the private clinic state this is 98% accurate at this point - im aware my risk is low but want to be sure. I asked the doctor about this test as i know the guidelines are 12 weeks here in the UK - he said that these tests are slowly being introduced in the NHS now and at 28days are as accurate if not more accurate that the antibody test at 12 weeks - he said the reason that they are not yet being used in all GUM clinics is because there is so much red tape in the NHS and in order to change any procedure it can take years of investigations into cost etc. he did say that some of the london hospitals are already using it now though!! would you agree that this test is so accurate at 28 days?

many thanks in advance

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2007, 07:49:18 am »
The HIV antibody screening tests are the most reliable tools to diagnose HIV infection in a person. There is not another screening test that, when used alone, beats the sensitivity and specificity of the EIA and Western Blot screening sequence.

The p24 antigen test detects the presence of a protein in HIV (unlike the antibody test which measures the body's response to HIV). P24 is referred to as an antigen because it provokes the body's immune response, causing it to generate antibodies. Since HIV is present in the body in very high levels before antibodies are produced, the p24 test may be useful in detecting infection when antibody tests cannot. For this reason, p24 tests are useful for screening the blood supply and for diagnosing acute infection. P24 antigen tests probably detect infection only a week earlier than the antibody tests. A positive result on a p24 antigen test is 99.9% accurate; false positives are highly unlikely.

Here's the catch: since the p24 test relies on a certain level of virus in the bloodstream, it is possible that someone may be infected but may not actually have a positive p24 test. Also, when a person's immune system produces antibodies, the p24 antigen test has a much more difficult time detecting infection (due to something called antibody-antigen complexing). Antibody levels, once established, remain persistent throughout infection. One study demonstrated that the p24 test failed at detecting infection in 75% of infected blood donors. It is not a very sensitive test.

So, a positive p24 antigen result is very reliable (this should always be confirmed at some point with an antibody test and an accurate risk history). A negative p24 antigen needs to be interpreted carefully.

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2007, 08:23:38 am »
Thanks Rapid

andy, ann could you possibly give me your views on this test also. If its not accurate then why do they do it and why is it allowed? how can the doctor claim its 98% accurate www.freedomhealth.com is the source. it is looking for the p24 antigen and also antibodies so if one isnt there then the other should be right (if infected of course) please can you add your views!

also can you answer my question regarding cunnilingus with ulcers

many thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2007, 09:15:32 am »
Had,

Cunnilingus isn't a risk. Period.

Yeah, ok, maybe if you sliced her genitals with a knife and sliced your lips with a knife and immediately went down on her, sure. But how likely are you to do that? I certainly hope this isn't in your sexual repertoire.

The accuracy of the p24 test has more to do with a positive result being accurate. Negative results on the p24 have to be confirmed. A positive result also must be confirmed with the standard ELISA/WB sequence, but is likely to be correct. Any negative result on any test is not conclusive until the three month point.

Where you are concerned, as long as you test three months after your last incident of unprotected intercourse, your result will be conclusive.

You can shell out money to this Freedom Health place and make them more profits if you like, but you don't need testing over these incidents.

You might want to consider talking to a mental health care professional about your hiv anxiety and why you feel you should be punished with it. We can't help you with that here.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2007, 04:30:05 am »
Ann many thanks for your reply

I went back to the doctor at freedom health in london and his response was as follows,

"No one is saying that the DUO replaces the antibody test. No-one uses the
Western Blot in the UK except for research or confirmation of an ambivalent
result.

The DUO test has an accuracy of 99.89% at 28 days plus. Your friend has
misunderstood that the test does not use p24 alone - but a mix of P24 AND
ANTIBODIES. This gives an accuracy of 99.89% - independently verified and
researched.

It ultimately depends on how much certainty you like in your life 99.89% =
DUO or 99.99% = (Western Blot very unlikely in UK routinely)  or Elisa at 90
days."

If he is in fact right about this test at 28 days plus, im willing to pay for it as it will relieve my HIV anxieties and allow me to move on with my life without disrupting my current relationship as these anxieties do have a knock on effect there too. I have booked an appointment with a mental health professional as you recommended also.

Im aware that you dont think i need testing and these exposures are the only ones since my last test, but my mental state wont allow me to move on.

bottom line is i want to take this duo test and move forward but if its just a big lie that it is 98% accurate at 28 days plus its not going to relieve my anxieties at all

many thanks again

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2007, 04:42:26 am »
Your doctor needs to be updated. A positive on a P24, plus positive on an antibody test still needs to be confirmed by a Western Blot or IFR test. A negative confirmative test is 12 weeks post exposure. Period...

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2007, 04:44:19 am »
thanks rapid i will go back to him

andy, ann can you please add your comments as its close to when i have to make the decision and i want all the facts right in my head before i do so

many thanks in advance

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2007, 05:09:07 am »
Had,

Any test that includes an antibody test, such as the Duo, will be conclusive for you as long as it is done three months past the last time you had unprotected intercourse.

When people talk about a test being some percentage accurate, they are generally speaking of a positive result, as I mentioned when we talked about the p24. A negative 28 day result with the Duo (when there has been a real risk) must still be confirmed at the three month point.

Personally, I have much more confidence in a negative result at six weeks than I do in a negative at four weeks. Most people who have actually been infected will test positive sometime between three and six weeks.

I live in the UK and I can tell you that a positive ELISA must be confirmed with a positive WB. Mine was and every positive person I know in the UK has had their diagnosis confirmed with a WB. It's standard practice.

And I'd like to remind you again that cunnilingus is not a risk for hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2007, 12:41:23 pm »
Thanks Ann

im going for a test just for piece of mind tomorrow - at the weekend i had some coke out of nature reallly - im aware you dont think i need to test but assuming i did need to test would cocaine two days prior affect the accuracy of test results??

i did try find the answer on the forums but couldnt

thanks in advance

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2007, 12:47:01 pm »
No, coke will not interfer with your test result.

Offline Had Enough

Cup of something in my face!
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2007, 12:22:32 pm »
Hi

i started a new topic because its a long time since I was here!

I recently visited Amsterdam and whilst I took you advice and stayed clear of activities that would trigger my HIV anxieties, some of my friends were happy to go ahead and engage in activities with the sex workers.

whilst i was waiting outside one of the windows as they are in amsterdam for a friend to come out the prostiute in the next window seemed to want me to move on! i didnt however and satyed and she came out of the window and threw a cup of something in my face!

god knows what it was and im worried if due to her angry reaction could it have been anything to cause me concern for HIV! even if it was infectious fluids and they got into my eyes like it did could it have infected me?

sounds stupid and know i have a problem but just want to be clear i dont need to worry - i felt id done everything right to avoid worrying about HIV again and then this happened just cant seem to get rid of it.

i hope you can put me straight on this matter once and for all

many thanks in advance

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2007, 12:29:25 pm »
I have merged your old threads here. The rule of the site is to keep all of your entries in the same thread so please don't start anymore new ones.

Once again you are concerned about a what if situation which is about fears and nothing based in HIV science reality. It doesn't matter what the woman tossed out the window on to you. You don't get HIV in this manner. Maybe, MAYBE if there was some freshly poured HIV+ positive blood from a wound she just created and it immediately went into your eye there would be some theoretical possibility of risk. Sound likely? No, I didn't think so. And I said THEORETICAL as contrasted with ACTUAL risk.

You need to do some work with a counselor or therapist about sex, sexuality and HIV. We can't help you with that here.

This is another non-risk situation which is only really about what's going on inside your head. Get some professional help of the sort we cannot provide you with here. 
Andy Velez

Offline Had Enough

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2008, 06:18:08 am »
Hi

Can you possibly clear something for me - i was at a party over the weekend and participated in snorting coke through a rolled up note, a guy at the party had been bleeding from his nose and there was blood on the bill after he had used it.

if I used the bill to snort coke after him - not immediately but with a 3-5 min period, would this be a risk for HIV transmission?

I was under the impression that there would be no way HIV would survive for more than a few seconds outside the body.. can you clarify for me. Im not sure if i had any cuts in my nose and I wasnt bleeding from the nose at all.. ive got myself a little paniced over this situation

Many Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2008, 06:35:14 am »
Had,

No, this is not a risk for hiv infection. However, it is a possible risk for hep C. This website does not deal with hep C - you'll have to see your doctor about that. You can test for hep C at the three month point if you wish.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.