Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:13:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 506
Total: 507

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sometimes do you feel that being HIV+ makes you more prone to be codependent?  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Oscar

• 20 Years POZ
The stigma that this disease generates makes me  hesitant to go out and make new friends. The fear that they will reject me, or be affraid that they can get HIV passed  on to them. There is  still alot of ignorance about this disease with the general public. HIV has made me want to hold on to the friendships I have even if they aren't healthy for me.  Steve is a perfect example of that.  I lost myself because I becamed so attached to him that it finally became to unhealthy for both of us. It hurts me the way it ended. I wish him the best & hope he can work through whatever  that may be. I need to find myself again, but I don't know how. Letting go of Steve is going to be hard for me. I really care about what happens to him. I don't really have a lot of friends. Kevin whom I have known for 30+ years, Dean for over 25 years & Michael for 15.  Always thought it was better to have a few close friends than a bunch of acquaintences.

Anyway, I feel like I'm rambling now. Does anyone have any thought or feelings on this?

Dan
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 12:33:31 am by Oscar »

Offline Eldon

Hello Dan it is Eldon. I'm sorry to hear that things turned out the way they did with Steve. I was once in a (3) three year relationship with my X and were were as close as the grains of rice. It all ended suddenly and I found myself wanting to be with him again but, I respected his wishes to move on.

I also care about what happens to my X as we showed each other so much about living our lives together. Now, as far as going out, I'd say GO. Live your life and enjoy it to the fullest! Don't let HIV slow you down. Some will be your friends and some will not be your friends. It's all a part of what life has in store for you.

So cheer up and look at the brighter side of things and you will see that life only get's better each and every day. The support you need is right at your fingertips. Go out and be social. It is a good thing. It is not as bad as you may think it is. Take it to heart, I know what you are going through.

Offline Oceanbeach

Dear Dan,

Just prior to the change to the new forums format, I wrote about 2 abusive relationships in my life since HIV.  The last of those two was an alcoholic who was emotionally abusive and I stuck by his side for a few years, and finally took his pictures off the wall after 5 years and no contact.  Somebody is codependent and I think that somebody may be me.

I think society may dictate that we (as disabled people) are not as perfect or as good) as the "healthy" persons and if it is not a societal issue, we may invent that for ourselves.  I am on these forums almost every day and that post, "Questions RE: Abuse" was the most read and responded thing I have ever written here.  It was those responses that made my believe, I was capable of giving and receiving love.  I accepted the advice of everyone.

I walked into this man's office, sat on his lap and said, "OK, you and I both know I love you, I have some issues with prior abusive relationships," nailed them all in order.  I found that the perfectly healthy can also have issues.  He has job stress and depression from a former partner who died of AIDS and a more current partner who broke his heart.  He has a hard time getting out of bed each day for work but work must be done, so he goes...

We are working on our individual issues together and the high point of the day is... No one is perfect, we all have to work at it.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
I was actually thinking about topic this earlier today. My partner and I just had our 14th anniversary and I was thinking how HIV has affected our relationship. I acquired HIV from my partner about 6 months after we got together. He didn't know he was HIV+. Initially the diagnosis came very close to breaking us up and I'm still surprised I didn't end the relationship. All these years later HIV is hurdle, like many others, we have been through together and I think whenever you successfully navigate a crisis with someone it makes the relationship stronger. However we hardly discuss HIV or meds anymore other than to remind eachother about "taking our vitamins" as we put it.

I think HIV has little or nothing to do with our staying together. I definitely don't think either of us thinks we couldn't snag another partner-- neither of us has problems with self-confidence. From reading this board there are obviously lots of charming and attractive HIV+ people out there and HIV negative people who can deal.

Offline DanielMark

Always thought it was better to have a few close friends than a bunch of acquaintences.

I'm in total agreement with that Dan, and that's how I live my life.

Co-dependent relationships will suck the life right out of a person. I need all the energy I can muster. I'm not about to fritter it away for anyone.

As far as the social scene, I'm not into much of that, so don't feel I'm missing out on any potential friendships there.

Friends - true friends - have come into my life and remain, because they would have whether I was HIV positive or not. They are the ones who add to my life, not take from it.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:50:49 pm by cowandalehouse »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.