Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Research News & Studies

Some blood pressure meds reduce the risk of dementia in PLHIV

(1/1)

Jim Allen:
An interesting read and findings. Would be good if we do get further studies into this.

Keith Alcorn - 22 February 2024 Full Aidsmap article: https://www.aidsmap.com/news/feb-2024/some-blood-pressure-drugs-reduce-risk-dementia-people-hiv

In Short:

--- Quote ---Taking an ACE inhibitor that crosses the blood-brain barrier reduced the risk of being diagnosed with dementia and delayed the time to a diagnosis of dementia in people with HIV receiving care in Veterans Affairs clinics in the United States, researchers report.

Over the past 15 years, evidence has accumulated that lowering blood pressure reduces the risk of developing dementia or cognitive impairment. Moreover, people taking ACE inhibitors or angiotensin receptor blockers which cross the blood-brain barrier tend to have a lower risk than people taking other types of medication to lower their blood pressure.

The impact of ACE inhibitor use on neurocognitive function in people with HIV had not been investigated, so researchers at the University of South Carolina and the Veterans Affairs health care system in Columbia, South Carolina, used electronic health records to assess the relationship between use of ACE inhibitors that cross the blood-brain barrier and the diagnosis of dementia in people with HIV.

Overall, 18,250 people were eligible for inclusion in the analysis, of which, 9419 had been exposed to an ACE inhibitor that crosses the blood-brain barrier. The cohort was 96% male, approximately half were Black, and the mean age was 51 years in those exposed to an ACE inhibitor that crosses the blood-brain barrier.

Common comorbidities in the cohort included obesity (25%), hyperlipidaemia (14%) and depression (16%). People taking an ACE inhibitor that crosses the blood-brain barrier were significantly more likely to have type 2 diabetes (7% vs 3%) and to smoke (49% vs 44%) but less to have hyperlipidaemia (14% vs 17%).

A multivariate analysis that controlled for demographic and health-related risk factors for dementia showed that any treatment with an ACE inhibitor that crosses the blood-brain barrier was associated with a 17% lower risk of being diagnosed with dementia.

To eliminate the possibility of bias through reliance on health insurance claims for medication, the researchers matched 15,594 cohort members one to one, based on whether or not they had been exposed to an ACE inhibitor

The researchers say that studies in other groups of people with HIV are needed to confirm the effect seen in this study. One limitation of the study is that it does not report on the relationship between the duration of treatment with ACE inhibitors and the risk of dementia.
--- End quote ---

Jim Allen:
I can't take ACE inhibitors due to an ACE inhibitor-induced cough.

However, for those on an ACE inhibitor, although further research is needed, it must be somewhat reassuring that this study suggests it also helps reduce dementia risk next to controlling blood pressure.

leatherman:
wonder if I was a part of this data set? :)

--- Quote from: Jim Allen on February 28, 2024, 09:17:01 am ---it must be somewhat reassuring that this study suggests it also helps reduce dementia risk next to controlling blood pressure.

--- End quote ---
Woohoo! Gotta love that Lisinopril. My BP is good AND I haven't lost my mind....yet. LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version