Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:03:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773155
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CNN: Escape from Jonestown included HIV survivor  (Read 4834 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
CNN: Escape from Jonestown included HIV survivor
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:47:25 am »
A recent CNN broadcast profiled several survivors of the Jonestown tragedy that took place in Guyana over 30 years ago where about 900 people died, after drinking poisoned kool-aid, as followers of a so called religious leader named Jim Jones. I remember the horrific Jonestown event and the surrounding news accounts of the deaths at the time.

Aside from the human impact that serves notice to all of us and the amazing strength displayed by those on the program, I was struck by a man profiled during the telecast who said that for 19 years as an HIV positive man he did not tell the police department where he was an officer of his status nor that he was a Jonestown survivor.  He also recounts that he lost two partners to AIDS.

Soledad O'Brien gave, in my opinion, a riveting presentation: http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/presents/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:52:50 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
Re: CNN: Escape from Jonestown included HIV survivor
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 12:32:46 pm »
Tampa, you might want to know that this program is being repeated tonight and Sunday also.  I plan to watch tonight.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:43:49 pm »
Before Jim Jones moved his followers to Guyana, they lived in Mendocino County.  I have been inside the Peoples Temple in Redwood Valley, that building is absolutely creepy, it was designed and built to amplify the voice of the speaker (Jim Jones) to sound "godlike."  At the time I was there, the facility was owned and used by an organization as a home for unwanted teenage girls.

During that time, I worked in a factory in Ukiah, a town where many of the 900 people who died in Guyana were recruited from.  Even after the mass suicide, there were many people in Ukiah who were afraid to leave their homes for fear of death.  People used to write on the walls of the equipment, in the break rooms, in the bathrooms.  The pro's and con's of the Peoples Temple (before Jonestown) was written everywhere.  Long term employees, their families and friends left their jobs, families and friends for a better life in Jonestown.

The Peoples Temple, the Moonies, Charles Manson and so many other tragic events made national news in Mendocino County.  The Manson Family did stop at a house North of Hopland on their way to a trial and killed a pregnant woman (whose husband was a Police Officer) and her mother in the same fashion as the Tate/ La Bianca murders.  Joe Allen, who was the Mendocino County District Attorney at the time, never misses a parole hearing for Charles Manson.

A hot air balloon traveling around the world from Tokyo crashed on a mountain near Willits, no one was hurt.  Being the first thing in decades to make the national news in Mendocino County which was not tragic, the balloon and pictures were set up as an exhibit in the County museum in Willits.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 03:52:38 pm »
I remember the horrific Jonestown event and the surrounding news accounts of the deaths at the time.

I was only able to catch bits and pieces of it the other night. I'l watch it again on Sunday. Hard to believe it's been 30 years ! I also remember very well, when the Jonestown story broke.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:42:43 pm »

By the way,

This is being replayed tonight (Sunday 16th) at 8:00 ET.
Just checked on it.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline randym431

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 09:29:31 am »
I've always been fascinated by the Jonestown story and Jim Jones.
Just unbelievable!
Creepy how easy people are fooled and brain washed.
But nothing has changed in that... We just seen more of this in prop 8 passing.
And how so many believe gays are, act, think, and chose the lifestyle.
What still bothers me is how so many blacks were duped into prop 8.
Just unbelievable. Scary!
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline randym431

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 11:03:08 am »
Dam Dam Dam
I recorded it and it stopped recording after 1 hour into it.
WHen it started they said the "durning next two hours", but
my dish recorder only got the first hour.
Was this two hours? (must of been).

I dont see it re airing again.
What happened after the first hour of this special?
Dam...
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.