Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:36:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 529
Total: 530

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My supplement list perhaps a bit extreem  (Read 9764 times)

Offline HIV? poz about being neg

My supplement list perhaps a bit extreem
« on: March 11, 2007, 11:17:20 pm »
I tested positive as of January 24 2007 and decided i may as well try all i can befor i have to rely on medications

I am currently taking

Bayer one-a-day multi twice a day
Flaxseed oil 1000mg 3 times a day
Garlic 1000 mg 3 times a day
Vitamin E 400iu twice a day
Calcium citrate 300mg twice a day
Vitamin D 125iu twice a day
Selenium 200mcg
Coenzyme Q10 30mg twice a day
Vitamin B complex 50mg twice a day
Cranberry 9000mg three times a day
Olive leaf extract 500mg three times a day
zinc 50mg
Turmeric 500mg three times a day
Ginger root 500mg three times a day
Astragalus 450mg three times a day
Resveratrol 100mg three times a day
Cats-claw extract drops
Bio-Strath drops
milk Thistle drops
Red Reishi Mushrooms 850mg twice a day
Pau D'arco bark 1000mg
Licorice root 1000mg
Blueberry 500mg three times a day
Boxwood spv 30 330mg three times a day
L-Carnitine 500mg three times a day
Alpha Lipoic Acid 100mg three times a day
N'acetyl L'Cysteine 500mg twice a day
Celt Immuno-care 500mg twice a day

So that's the list.
Jan/25/07 VL > 100 000 CD4 480 21%
Apr/13/10     Started Atripla
May/11/10    VL !! 300 !!     CD4 520
Jul/15/10      VL    75          CD4 400   27%
Dec/20/10    VL UD             CD4 390 28%
Jan/10/12    VL UD              CD4 670 28%
Mar/31/14    VL UD              CD4 580 37%
May/27/14    VL UD              CD4 750
29%
Aug/18/14    Chemo HGL
Nov/10/14    VL UD               CD4 750
38%
Nov/25/14  Started Truvada with Tivicay

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
Re: My supplement list perhaps a bit extreem
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 06:47:04 am »
Hi there!
Blimey if most of those are in tablet/capsule form, you must rattle! Just kidding! ;)

Supplements are all well and good (I take a broad spectrum myself under the guidance of a nutritionist) but the more nutrients and micronutrients we can actually get from the natural source (ie food) the better.

Looking at your list, I personally would look at removing the following at least:

Garlic
Cranberry
Olive leaf extract
Turmeric
Ginger root
Red reisi mushrooms
Licorice root
Blueberry

And instead I would aim to include as many of these things in your daily diet as much as possible, but in their natural form. So in other words, include lots of garlic and virgin olive oil in your food. Eat cranberries or juice them, if you like it. Use fresh ginger and blueberries in your juices/cooking etc etc etc.

Don’t forget, supplements are meant to do just that: supplement. They are not a replacement for a healthy balanced diet. Wherever possible, gaining adequate amounts of specific vitamins and minerals in their natural form is usually more beneficial than getting them from a pill.

I’m not sure about astragalus. Isn’t it a seaweed or something?? Don’t know Resveratrol, Bio-Strath, Pau D’arco bark, Boxwood or Celt Immuno-care either, so can’t comment on them.

Here is a link to the extent of my knowledge and thoughts on Cats Claw:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=4450.msg119812#msg119812

And here is a link to what supplements I take:
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8935.msg120994#msg120994

I would advise anyone embarking on a broad-spectrum supplement program with specific needs to consult with a suitably trained nutritionist beforehand (and during, if necessary).

Hope this helps.

Yeia kai hara! (health and happiness)
Melia :)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 07:48:39 am »
http://www.positivenation.co.uk/issue125/treatment/treatment1/treatment1.htm

Interview with Dr. Jon Kaiser and K-PAX Formulation

What’s in KPAX?
 Two Packets of double strength formula contains:
 Vitamins Minerals
Beta-Carotene 20,000IU
 Vitaamin C 2,000mg
 Bioflavonoid 300mg
 Complex
 Vitamin E 800IU
 Vitamin B-1 60mg
 Vitamin B-2 60mg
 Vitamin B-6 200mg
 Niacinamide 60mg
 Calcium Pantothenate 60mg
 Choline 60mg
 Inositol 60mg
 Folic Acid 800mcg
 Biotin 400mcg
 Vitamin D3 400IU
 Betaine HCL 150mg
 L-Glutamine 400mg
 Vitamin B12 2.5mg
 (Methylcobalamin)
 Minerals
Calcium 800mg
 (Citrate/Ascorbate)
 Magnesium (Citrate) 400mg
 Iron (Picolinate) 18mg
 Iodine (K iodide) 150mcg
 Copper (Picolinate) 2mg
 Manganese (Picolinate) 10mg
 Potassium (Citrate) 99mg
 Zinc (Picolinate) 30mg
 Selenium (Picolinate) 200mcg
 Chromium (Picolinate) 100mcg
 Molybdenum (Picolinate) 300mcg
 Boron (Picolinate) 2mg

Highly Potent Antioxidants
Alpha Lipoic Acid 400mg
 Acetyl L-Carnitine 1000mg
 N-Acetyl Cysteine 1200mg

Commentary on key ingredients:

http://www.k-pax.us/faqs-full.html

What are some of the most important ingredients in K-PAX Immune Support Formula?

The highly potent antioxidants found in K-PAX Immune Formula (and not found in most other multivitamins) are especially important in producing its observed benefits.  Their functions are as follows:

a. Acetyl-L-Carnitine

This nutrient is the primary ingredient that increases cellular energy production at the mitochondrial level.  It specifically increases the flow of free fatty acids into the mitochondria which directly boosts energy production.

It has also been shown to be of significant benefit to people with nervous system disorders such as peripheral neuropathy and Alzheimer's disease by improving nerve cell conduction.

b. Alpha Lipoic Acid

This nutrient is believed to be one of the cell's most important and potent antioxidants.  It works to help detoxify free radicals that are generated when the cell is under stress (from both HIV infection and antiviral medications).

This nutrient has also been shown to improve symptoms of peripheral neuropathy in patients with diabetes.

c. N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC)

Studies performed at Stanford University have shown that HIV(+) individuals are deficient in NAC and that when this potent antioxidant is supplemented, there is a significant decrease in mortality from HIV infection.  NAC also helps to thin mucous and keep the lungs and nasal passages free of infection.

d. L-Glutamine

This amino acid provides an important energy source for intestinal and muscle cells.  People with HIV infection need as much support of their GI system as possible to help counteract the effects of antiviral medications and the presence of unhealthy organisms that often grow in digestive systems of people who frequently use antibiotics.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 07:56:26 am by risred1 »
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Arkan

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 12:01:12 pm »
looks extreme!! but again now days everything is extreme :)

I do take similar stuff and I rely a lot on EGCG (green tea) and curcumin (Turmeric) to block HIV. It might be working. I am still undergoing test. I do not worry much about CD4 since they vary a lot.

you may find interesting information on  www.grouppekurosawa.com

let us know your improvements
Peace!

Offline HIV? poz about being neg

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 07:40:16 pm »
Does anyone know why or if MSM is a recommended supplement for people with HIV?
Jan/25/07 VL > 100 000 CD4 480 21%
Apr/13/10     Started Atripla
May/11/10    VL !! 300 !!     CD4 520
Jul/15/10      VL    75          CD4 400   27%
Dec/20/10    VL UD             CD4 390 28%
Jan/10/12    VL UD              CD4 670 28%
Mar/31/14    VL UD              CD4 580 37%
May/27/14    VL UD              CD4 750
29%
Aug/18/14    Chemo HGL
Nov/10/14    VL UD               CD4 750
38%
Nov/25/14  Started Truvada with Tivicay

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 09:42:18 pm »
I don't recall it being "recommended", however it is in the newyorkbuyersclub.org's supp called Thiol NAC, a combo supp that includes Alpha Lopaic Acid, NAC and MSM.

I'm sure the idea behind the MSM,  Methylsulfonylmethane, i.e. sulphur, is to address sulphur depletion associated with Glutathione (GSH) and cysteine deficiencies.

A little tid bit i found from the Canadian Aids information exchange.

http://www.catie.ca/myers.nsf/5d8f01691c21f51485256583007bc226/69ffe9c97e6c50088525658d00716cd7!OpenDocument

3. Turnover of body protein increases in HIV infection, and this increase accelerates with disease progression (Macallan & Griffin, 1992). A decrease in any of our essential amino acids can cause problems (Millward et al, 1990). The sulphur-containing amino acids, however, are particularly critical to our health, and they are the most sensitive. A low cysteine level in the body is a source of wasting even in the absence of HIV disease. This results partly when the body cannibalizes lean body mass to maintain an important enzyme, high in cysteine content, required for digestion (Liener & Kakade, 1980). Low glutathione levels may make this wasting worse. Finally, another way in which wasting is encouraged is that when cysteine is low, the body tries to convert some of its methionine to cysteine, and this leaves less methionine which is required for making an important compound, carnitine, required in turn to get energy from fat. When carnitine levels get low with HIV infection (De Simone et al, 1992, 1993) long chain fatty acid oxidation is impaired so that the body is encouraged to burn up other compounds such as protein as an energy source, resulting in loss of lean body mass.

I did a search which is difficult because MSM stands for Men having Sex with Men. But the general stuff I'm seeing on the supps sites, such as bronsonlabs.com, it is used to alleviate pain associated with Arthritis and is frequently combined with Glucosamine. The Thiol NAC formula seems to be unique by including MSM, but they are not touting it as a key ingredient as the NAC and Alpha Lopaic Acid components are.
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline Arkan

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 02:14:37 pm »
I completely agree with Melia and risred1

I read early on that triptophan also decreases with the dissease, so I eat lots of turkey.

Also the way you take the supplements will help in the absorption. Some must be taken alone with food, some with lots of water, some between meals. The risk of doing all supplements at once is that your system won't be able to process all of them or just partially.

I used to have difficulties digesting food, so I had to make sure it wasn't a parasite or bacteria and then started the supplementation. Once I did that I got a very quiet tummy!!!

My list:
Green tea (EGCG) capsules
Turmeric
Coq10
NAC
Selenium
ALA
Betatene
Ester C
Probiotics
Omega 3-6-9
CLA
BioAstin (strong carotenoid antioxidant)

Glutamine, BCAA amd AAKG for gym days

On and off
Theanine
Melatonine
Lysine
Olive leaf
Garlic pills

and I am feeling great

Peace!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.