Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:17:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 339
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: PEP Adherence  (Read 4717 times)

Offline villainboy

• Standard
PEP Adherence
« on: October 19, 2010, 06:20:00 pm »
Hello everyone! Deep down I know I'm being completely irrational but I guess I just needed a place to talk to and hear others thoughts. I've been seeing a neighbor on and off for the past two years now and we actually play very safe. He's older and I'm younger, we live out that older daddy/boy next door fantasy. Anyway, we only did anal penetration once (I was the receptive partner, protected and very quick as he didn't ejaculate). Orally, he always does the sucking and he swallowed my cum once. I can't get myself to suck just yet so I've never orally pleasured him. Most of the time its mutual masturbation, frottage and deep kissing. We've probably only had a total of six encounters. He lives with his uber-conservative brother and he travels for work on cruise ships (which he admits to having various sexual encounters).

Anyway, a few nights ago we had an encounter (he sucked me with no ejaculation in mouth, mutual masturbation with ejaculation, deep kissing and frottage, no anal). Afterwards he tells me that he just got diagnosed HIV+. I have to admit I was shocked, but I think I handled it well. He said that he didn't put me at risk ever (which makes sense I guess, since we've been very safe) and when I spoke to my doctor, he didn't feel this particular situation warranted an HIV test or PEP, but did suggest I do an STD test right away. He did say that I should take the HIV test three months from now to calm my fears and since I'm a sexual active, bisexual man in my late 20's, it's always a good idea to do so, but STI/STD test stat, the doctor ordered.

I'm worrying like crazy now because he revealed his HIV status to me, which in all reality makes no sense as to why I'm reacting this way. My past sexual encounters have been mostly getting sucked (receptive oral?), insertive vaginal, receptive anal (protected ALL the time) and mutual masturbation. I guess I just need to hear from others as well, to assure myself that it's all okay.

I will take an HIV test at the 3 month mark, as it's been over two years since my last HIV test, and will take an STD test soon.

Sorry for being so irrational, but I was surprised at my response as well, and didn't know where to go or who to talk to.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: PEP Adherence
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 06:35:38 pm »
Welcome Villainboy-

Don't worry I thnk someone will be along to provide you some solid answers and reassurance.

- Sorry mods I'm deleting my original response after I was advised the forum rules on this. :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 06:48:13 pm by numbersguy82 »
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 07:48:33 pm »
villainboy, you were never at risk of contracting HIV. Your doctor was correct in the need for STD testing.

Offline villainboy

• Standard
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 09:06:34 pm »
Thanks. I know that. Deep down I know that. Now all of a sudden my mind is just racing and retracing everything I've ever done with him.

Late last August I had a quick bout of shingles that lasted a week and got worried since I know that shingles (according to some sites out there) might be early signs of HIV. Then again, I was just laid off, super stressed out with job interviews, lack of sleep, etc., which I know weakens your immune system--all the stressing out. That's nothing to be worried about, right? I mean, shingles happens to a lot of people regardless of their HIV status . . . see? I'm worrying again. **sigh**

I'm trying to calm myself down and this site is very helpful. Thanks so much. I apologize for being such a mess. I'm usually not like this. I think it's because I know for sure that I was involved with someone who's confirmed to be HIV+ now and I'm trying to find ways to deal with it.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:28:29 pm »
Thanks. I know that. Deep down I know that. Now all of a sudden my mind is just racing and retracing everything I've ever done with him.

Late last August I had a quick bout of shingles that lasted a week and got worried since I know that shingles (according to some sites out there) might be early signs of HIV. Then again, I was just laid off, super stressed out with job interviews, lack of sleep, etc., which I know weakens your immune system--all the stressing out. That's nothing to be worried about, right? I mean, shingles happens to a lot of people regardless of their HIV status . . . see? I'm worrying again. **sigh**

I'm trying to calm myself down and this site is very helpful. Thanks so much. I apologize for being such a mess. I'm usually not like this. I think it's because I know for sure that I was involved with someone who's confirmed to be HIV+ now and I'm trying to find ways to deal with it.

Kid,

Kissing, getting a hummer, mutual wanking and frottage are not going to give you HIV. It doesn't matter that the fellow you got off with is HIV positive, you were not at risk of being infected.

HIV is a fussy, fragile virus. It has to be transmitted inside the body. Since you didn't have unprotected anal with this chap you were not at risk of being infected.

This is a no risk situation, buddy. OK? :)

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 07:10:00 am »
Shingles is not an HIV-specific occurence. Anyone who has had chicken pox can get shingles. Stress is often credited as being related to getting shingles.

As Matty has said, nothing you are reporting of your activities has put you at risk for HIV.

There's no need for testing nor for further concern. Use condoms consistently for anal intercourse (and vaginal) and you won't have any problem with the sexual transmission of HIV. It is really just that simple.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline villainboy

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:54:23 pm »
Thanks you guys. You're all awesome.

Offline villainboy

• Standard
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »
Hello,

Last Thursday evening/Friday morning I went to the ER after being sexually assaulted by a male of unknown status (receptive unprotected anal) and the doctor immediately prescribed PEP. I was given a dose of Truvada and Isentress 4 hours after exposure. Since it was the weekend and I had to deal with police and take the sexual assault test (I was in the ER for 14 hours), the pharmacy only had Truvada and I had to wait to get the Isentress mailed to me. I've been on Truvada continuously for 3 days now but I only had one dose of Isentress since I'm still waiting for it to arrive and is expected to arrive tomorrow. I'm afraid that the PEP would be ineffective if I don't take the Isentress continuously. I would have missed 3 days and counting of Isentress. Am I worrying too much? I called the ER and they said that missing a few days should still be effective as long as both drugs were in my system 72 hours within contact. I just want to make sure I'm taking the PEP as directed and don't want to take any chances.

I would like to maintain my HIV- status as I've always played safe and educated myself about the risks. Of course with this ordeal, I feel violated, angry and scared and not having all the medications just adds to my worry.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 08:45:51 pm by villainboy »

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 04:43:40 am »
Truly sorry to hear that you were assaulted and what you have been through as a result.

Regarding the PEP, Truvada is sometimes issued on its own for PEP. Its already a combination of 2 drugs, and you started taking them well within the 72 hours time-frame as the ER also pointed out. When you get the 3rd drug tomorrow start taking this as well as prescribed by the doctor.

Finally test at 6 weeks post finishing the PEP course and at 13 weeks to confirm the 6 weeks result.

Do note I have moved your post to here as you are required to only post in this one thread no matter how long between visits or the subject matter. The other sections of the forum are only intend for people living with HIV and as such off limits.

You can find this thread by going to your profile and selecting show own post and it will take you here . It also helps us to help you when you keep all your thoughts or questions in one thread and it helps other readers to follow the discussion.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.