Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 121
Total: 121

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My Vacation  (Read 3006 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
My Vacation
« on: December 03, 2006, 08:54:00 pm »
With so many people dropping out of these forums, I figure it is us to us newbies to post more.  So, I will try to do my part.  In the past, I mostly came on here to ask a question but didnt really share much about who I am.

Well, my name is Pete.  I am 31 and live in West New York, NJ (yes, it is a real town).  It is about 2 miles west of NYC (duh).  I work for a retail company headquarters located in Times Square.  I tested poz a little of a year ago and am adjusting pretty well.  I have my occasional Why Me? but I get over myself real quick.

Anywho -  I went on a lovely vacation to Virgin Gorda (British Virgin Island) for my friend Michele's wedding.  The place was paradise.  The second night I had quite a fall due to no lighting , wooded area, and a couple too many cocktails.  I was carrying some empty beer bottles back to the villa we were staying in and managed to land on one that went through my left forearm.  It was pretty bad.  I lost a lot of blood trying to get back to the villa but found the healthcare on the Island to be very good (for a very small island).  Plus, yeah British healthcare almost all of it was free.  I paid 80 all together which included an ambulance ride, calling a doctor in at 1am to stitch me, valium and vicodin shots, painkillers and antibiotics, plus follow up care.  Those in the states know that even with insurance this could run you a few hundred bucks.

One thing that kinda sucked is I had to disclose to a lot of people I am aquainted with (we were there with 25 friends - mostly the bride and groom).  I had to tell because I bled so much and was afraid someone would try cleaning it up without the proper precautions.  Everyone turned out to be really great and I waited until after the wedding to tell the bride since she would be upset on her big day.  It is amazing in times of crisis how quickly people can come together as a group even though they barely know each other.  By the end of the tirp I felt I made many new friends.

I was also prould of myself for not letting my injury ruin my good time in paradise.  Sure, I wish I could have snorkled more and stuff, but there are other times for that.  I also learned that disclosing even when you dont want to and in the worst situation (blood product), people are reasonable and caring.  Well, at least these people were.

Ok, enough babbling.  The new pic I put on my profile is me on a sunset cruise - not my lovely bandage in the lower right hand corner.

All my best
Pete

Offline Blixer

Re: My Vacation
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:20:46 pm »
Hello Pete!  Nice to meet you and learn a bit more about you.  I tested positive 11 months ago.  Sounds like you are making lots of progress on things and that is so great!  Keep posting and sharing with us.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 11:27:36 pm »
hey Pete, thanks for posting. Interesting little trip you had!

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 11:38:42 pm »
I was also prould of myself for not letting my injury ruin my good time in paradise.  Sure, I wish I could have snorkled more and stuff, but there are other times for that.  I also learned that disclosing even when you dont want to and in the worst situation (blood product), people are reasonable and caring.  Well, at least these people were.

I had a bloody nose shortly after my diagnosis, and it was at that point that I realized I was a biohazard to all of my friends.  Good for you for not stealing the drama at the wedding. :)  btw, yer kinda cute.

-joseph

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:39:22 pm »
Hi Pete,

That is a tale to tell, however queasy I am after all the talk of glass and blood... yeesh!  Glad to know you made it back!

Bests,
Drew

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 11:51:48 pm »
Hi Pete!

Thank you for sharing with us. It is good to know you just as wel.

Happy Holidays!

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 12:00:51 am »
joeseph
I had an earbleed (because I tried to shave the hair off my ear before a party..dont ask, but everyone waycool about it, almost overly cool)   My friends Kim and Kenia tended to the ear but not before they made a big announcement about how important is was to always use rubber gloves with everyone.  Their husbands were fine with me swimming in the pool, but only after they somewhow researched that chlorine kills HIV.  MY friends super smart husband asked  "why don't you just drink chlorine?"   "uh, because it will kill HIV and Me at the same time?"

Anyway, thanks for reading and the compliment but kinda cute always rubs me the wrong way.  You are cute, boarding on very cute

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:39:59 pm »
AWWW.. :)

*DON'T LOOK AT ME*

Everyday is so wonderfull....

LOL

Actually, it was an out for me.  So, in case you were an asshole, I could rescind the whole "cute" statement, and tell you what a dickwad you were.  But you're not, so I can't, and I'll go ahead and qualify my overt flirt, by stating, unconditionally that "yer hot".   LOL

Hope that rubbed you the right way.

-joseph

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.