Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:24:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 345
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thomas J. Sept.1967-July 2012  (Read 7490 times)

Offline daddysgirl87

Thomas J. Sept.1967-July 2012
« on: September 19, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »
Thomas J. was my father and he was one of the most loved and cherished people i knew. He was kind and generouse with a heart of gold. He raised 2 kids single handedly and lived with aids for almost 20 yrs. He was raised by a military father and catholic mother and believed he needed to get married and have kids like the rest of his family has. He did this for  awhile and had my brother and me which he always said was his greatest gift he could have ever recieved. He finally came to a point where lying to yourself was unexceptable and came out to his family and wife. Obviously they divorced and he got custody of us and mom bailed. He never asked for child support he said his kids were all he needed if life and now that he was free to be himself life was great. A few years later he contracted HIV but did not find this out until much later. When he was diagnosed it was already full blown and he was given 2 years max. Doctors were very wrong because he lived for almost 15 aditional years with this illness. My dad was a fighter, hard worker and honorable. He loved to cook and loved his friends dearly. He was such a kind person that when we had 90 degree days he would find the mail lady in route and give her bottled waters and a portable fan. He was a amazing person and my best friend in the world. He was the person i shared everything with and now that hes gone i feel lost. Unfortunaltely it was him that took his own life i still dont completly understand why he did this but i guess i have to respect simply because as close as we were ill never understand what he was truly going through. My dad was also good at keeping a smile on even when he was suffering inside so noone knew when he was in pain or uncomfortable or just down in the dumps. I was usually able to tell just because i could feel it(if that makes sense). Me and my father were very intune but even i didnt see his passing coming. I wish i could have done something or changed his mind somehow but i didnt and i couldnt and now hes gone. Im not blaming myself but at the same time what if he was reaching out and i didnt realize or i just missed the signs... either hes gone now and the pain is unbarable. I dont get to have my daddy at my college graduation or wedding or the birth of my 2nd child ect. theres so many things that hes going to miss out on that I always imagined hed be there for. I can picture our father daughter dance in my mind. we use to practice it even when i was a kid. we had the song picked out for years, regina belles if i could. anyway not trying to have a pity party here but i cannot express these things to my friends or family because i get to emotional and maybe its a pride thing but i just cant have people staring at me with sorrow in their eyes. Thanks for listening and im sorry for everyone elses losses aswell.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Thomas J. Sept.1967-July 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:54 pm »
The love you have for your father is evident and touching in your post . Your father is surely a very special man and your post goes a long way to honor him .

I want to thank you for sharing his and your story with us , its a touching reminder for all us to remember those we love and have lost with kindness and an open heart .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Re: Thomas J. Sept.1967-July 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »
Daddysgirl,

Thank you for posting about your father.  I can tell how much you loved him, and how much you will miss him. And I urge you to keep talking about your father as much as you need to.  All too often, when someone takes their own life (as my mother did years ago), family and friends don't talk about it, ignore what happened, or pretend it didn't happen.  And that can make you feel much worse.  While there will always be unanswered questions about why your Dad acted as he did, you can still talk about him, and honor him.

Hugs,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.