Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:08:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 494
Total: 494

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: my little sister is HIV+  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Kris85

my little sister is HIV+
« on: December 31, 2013, 10:26:10 am »
My little sister was recently diagnosed with HIV and her b/f is a complete asshole!  I guess she feels like no one else will want her so she has chosen to stay with him and he treats her like crap.  How do I get her to see that she's not stuck!  He gave her the HIV and he has chosen not to get treatment or tested while she on the other hand has chosen to seek counseling and advice from other poz people. We know he was the one she got it from b/c her she reached out to her last partner and he has been tested and is negative, but her b/f now doesn't even wanna get tested.  Why wouldn't you wanna get tested?   I found a counselor for her because she told me she felt like it is something she needs.  I also did some research online to educate myself but I feel like I still don't know enough.  I love my little sister she's my world....any advice on how else I can help her or any additional information you all can give to me that I might not know?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: my little sister is HIV+
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:09 pm »
Hello.

Why don't you tell you sister to join his forum.

Sounds like you are giving her good support.  It takes time to get used to an HIV diagnosis.

You are discussing some very complicated issues about her relationship, and what role outsiders can play.  For example self-esteem, and why people stay in relationships that may be kinda crappy.  Or how family can get involved in other family member's relationships. Mostly HIV doesn't add anything especially unique.  Its always a challenge no matter the situation.

One time my sister dated a married guy.  My other sister didn't approve and wouldn't welcome that couple into her home.  It wasn't pretty for anyone.

Also you chose to write to this forum about some HIV issues.

Note that you do NOT know for sure the bf is the agent of your sister's infection, until he tests HIV+, and honestly communicates the result, plus MORE, below.  I don't say this to defend him. 

MORE: Your sister might be pretty sure its him if she had HIV negative results before starting with him, and if she was 100% faithful since. 

Anyway, we in the forum can't possibly know anything about this and its possible that you might not know the full story. 

I say this because generally whats important in moments like these is to deal with now, and going forward. So yeah, he's got to test. And yeah, that couple has to figure out how they are going to go forward, or not....

People don't want to test for many many many reasons.  I am sure you can imagine some of them.  How often to you get tested?  I'm gay and came out early in the HIV epidemic, and once the test became available, I got tested pretty much every year.  But I knew plenty of people who had all sorts of reasons never to test...

Best way to help your sister in my opinion is just support her about the diagnosis and learn along the way, as she will, about the medical surveillance and any eventual treatment. 

You can tell her your opinion about her "stuck" situation, or her bf, but as you know, she's got to figure out herself her affairs of the heart.  How is call your sister's bf an "asshole" going to really help her, him, or the situation.  They have to deal a bit cooly now with some things that are too easy to get very emotional, hurt, or angered about.

Also, you said "I guess she feels like" she is stuck but maybe you are projecting?  Has she actually said that? Maybe its you wondering about that, and you can have a conversation about that topic...
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 12:26:27 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Kris85

Re: my little sister is HIV+
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:40:52 pm »
I understand where you're coming from...
She said she feels like no one else will accept her so therefore I assume she feels "stuck"
I haven't told her I don't like her b/f I just mentioned it on here. 
I haven't gotten involved (in my head yes) but out loud no.  I just let her be and I just tell her I'm here for her if she needs me.  I haven't even told her how much research I've done just b/c I don't want to constantly be talking about it if she doesn't bring it up, you know?  Hence why I haven't mentioned this site yet.  But I will.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.