Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:34:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 628
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can I hide my “undetectable” status in a new HIV test?  (Read 3643 times)

Offline Flowerpower

Can I hide my “undetectable” status in a new HIV test?
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:45:31 pm »

Dear all,

I am facing a significant career problem over here.

My current employer has decided that all staff workers must undergo a mandatory medical examination which, among many things, also includes HIV testing.

Having HIV is reason for not extending future employment (the current legal framework allows them to do this). Old fashioned 1980’ stigma style yes, but that’s where we are and obviously nothing that you wish to argue about in the staff meetings :-/

I’m perfectly capable to do my job and ‘Im noted as “undetectable” since over a year ago when I started to take my meds, and I never had a sick day with my current employer hence I can’t see that I would impose a danger to anyone in my work. But this is on the list for possible termination.

My question is; what does “undetectable” actually mean?

Is it possible for me to take a new, modern HIV test during this medical examination and happily be quiet about my health situation and hope that the doctors will identify me as negative? I get mixed messages about this when trying to study available online sources.

In the end of the day, this is pretty much about trying to keep my job, which I really want, so any advices and input on the matter is much welcomed. Thank you.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Can I hide my “undetectable” status in a new HIV test?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:26:23 pm »
Hi

I would presume they would test with an antibodies test and you would always have antibodies in your system no matter how low your viral load.

I'm not sure were you are from or based but have you spoken/checked with your local ASO regarding this and employment advice? HIV status in some nations is protected status under different employment or discrimination acts 

EDIT - (Okay I just peeked at your location, tough one, will not mention it here.
Still have you checked to make sure with any HIV org in your nation? )

Jim

« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:37:20 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Flowerpower

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 04:17:59 pm »
Thanks for commenting Jim. Have followed your input here for some time and I'm glad for you caring and sharing.

Yes, my location is somewhat tricky and it is not impossible to involve any other organisation as it would expose myself quickly and again, given the location and the cultural context, I am quite sure it would not help. I have no idea on how to get around this trap. I'm ready to travel any place in the world with the poorest, inaccurate testing just to "get away" with a "negative" :-)

Honestly, I think that I must consider to change employer. This is a though case...:-/

Offline AusShep

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »

Honestly, I think that I must consider to change employer. This is a though case...:-/

You won't be able to hide your status.  If your current employer is going to fire you, disclose your status, or make life difficult for you, best to leave now.

If you're willing to disclose your Country, someone will probably be able to give you options.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:06:06 pm »
Hi OP.

To be honest given I know and understand somewhat the situation in your nation perhaps changing job would be simplist  and safest for you as difficult as that maybe in itself.

Getting fired for being HIV positive and correctly or incorrect associated with minorities who are being unfairly treated and prosecuted in some cases might not be a good idea.

I'm not one to back down from a fight myself but I live in a nation with guarantees, safety and peace it's a luxury I recognize you don't have in the current climate however I do hope that changes for you and your country men in the future.

Take it easy.

Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Flowerpower

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 06:37:33 pm »
Dear Jim and AusShep,

Thank you for your considerate replies and advices, which I don't don't really oppose. Things are like they are and I have tried to find peace in where things are pointing for the time being hence finding a new job is probably most advisable at this point. Why take a fight you can't win?

Only second way out is to find a doctor who can fix a fake health certificate out of pure sympathy (or bribe, which is one of the few cultural benefits with the context 'I'm living  ;)) although rest assure, I have too much pride to try the second, illegal option. I guess it's better to walk away and not look back :-)

So, time to refresh that old CV again I guess... :o

Thanks for listening and for your input.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 07:21:12 pm »

This testing is going to affect a lot more people than just you.

Do you have a trade union that can represent the workers against management?
Even if you don't have a union workers can organise to oppose the testing. I was in a ununionised workplace that stopped blood testing before it started.

Just because your employer tests for HIV does not necessarily mean that a positive test will affect your employment with them.

The testing is some junior or middle manager's 'great idea', you can bet that that person has no idea about HIV and its management.
 It may be enough that you have an excellent employment record and a letter from your doctor explaining that you are on treatment and have good health to dissuade upper management from getting rid of a valued worker.

Offline shizukav2

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 02:46:24 am »
Once at 'undetectable' - a standard hiv test will still be positive, due to the antibodies in your system which is what the 'quick' test detects, and not the virus itself.

This shouldn't affect your employment status in any reasonable part of the world - which includes pretty much everywhere except the bigoted Middle East, which is where i'd suspect your problem lies.

If your company is American ( and no doubt even if you're on some supposedly expat contract through Quatemala or some other offshore nonsense...) then you should read this link
https://www.eeoc.gov/facts/ada18.html

The only other option is to arrange someone else to do the blood test for you (!)...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:08:54 am »
Dear Jim and AusShep,

Thank you for your considerate replies and advices, which I don't don't really oppose. Things are like they are and I have tried to find peace in where things are pointing for the time being hence finding a new job is probably most advisable at this point. Why take a fight you can't win?

Only second way out is to find a doctor who can fix a fake health certificate out of pure sympathy (or bribe, which is one of the few cultural benefits with the context 'I'm living  ;)) although rest assure, I have too much pride to try the second, illegal option. I guess it's better to walk away and not look back :-)

So, time to refresh that old CV again I guess... :o

Thanks for listening and for your input.

Fraud is not the way to go. Yes I have no doubt a bribe would work in the current climate, however on that same front there is a risk of getting caught and that really would not work out well for you.

Now from the top of my head I know of no laws to protect you and after checking to brush up, I found that quite the opposite is true at the moment. If you do want legal advice speak to a local lawyer of course as I am not a solicitor.

Also I did check and indeed foreign support agency's would not be much help either given the nations and governments current views and treatment of foreign ASO's.

I wish you all the best but without disclosing your location here there is not much more I can add.  Whatever you decide to do I wish you well and if you do go for a new job than I wish you well in the job hunting.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:29:10 am »
Rotten governments. When is the world going to progress?

I was thinking about this yesterday.  I was noticing that Geneva is particularly teeming this summer with the .1%ers from Africa and the Middle East. All the benefits of our beautiful, calm, clean, safe, luxurious Swiss summer while people suffer in their countries.

I wish you a good solution and promising next stage in your career.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:32:52 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 10:27:50 pm »
I disagree with JimDublin this time. I would NOT find a new job yet. I would do the following first:
1. Find a reasonable/humane/compassionate doctor first. Perhaps one that deals with HIV patients.
It is easy for them to close a blind eye and either "forget" to do the HIV test or accidentally make a mistake. In some countries these are easy to find.

2. What i would try first - sometimes there is a disconnect between the labs and the doctors ordering the tests. In the private hospital that i go to in Bangkok, when the doc orders tests, the lab always goes over the list before actually registering the tests into the computer. If there is something i do not want (for example, HIV) i would say "NO HIV" and they will leave it out. This is the case because i pay for each test and there are cases where people refuse to pay for tests they did not want. So the lab makes sure the patient actual agrees with the "order".
When the doctor gets the results, he will most probably overlook the fact that the HIV test was skipped. If he does notice, see option 1.
Only if this fails, then i would consider finding a new job.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.