Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:18:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 666
Total: 666

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Asked the doc, "why is my ceiling 800?"  (Read 5127 times)

Offline randym431

Asked the doc, "why is my ceiling 800?"
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:07:44 am »
I haven't posted here is a long long time.
But I'm still here and kicking.
Diag in 2005, currently on Atripla for many years now.
Very stable. A boring patient my doc tells me. ;)

My CD4 has reached and remains in the 800's for 10+ years now.
Occurred to me, why if I am doing so well and have been undetectable for all these years, why hasn't my CD4 recovered to upper normal levels?
1200 - 1500?

Well, the doc feels it has to do with how badly damaged the immune system originally was when first diagnosed.
In 2005, my CD4 was 85 and % somewhere around 5. VL one million.
So according to the doc's experience, 800 is probably the best I can expect to do.
And he didn't want me to whine about that. That is actually very good, he says.

Oh. And he also suggested I switch too annual checks. Once a year.
Something they are suggesting to their all patients that have remained stable long term and issue free.
I fully agreed.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Asked the doc, "why is my ceiling 800?"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:28:21 am »
Hey Randy,
Could be that is where your CD4s would be even if you were negative.
Sounds like you are doing great !
Don't be a stranger

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:55:26 am »
Occurred to me, why if I am doing so well and have been undetectable for all these years, why hasn't my CD4 recovered to upper normal levels?
1200 - 1500?

Oh. And he also suggested I switch too annual checks. Once a year.
Something they are suggesting to their all patients that have remained stable long term and issue free.
I fully agreed.
the normal range of cd4s is anywhere from 400 to 1500. this is a huge range because everyone's immune system is based upon their genetics. Most people will end up somewhere in that range regardless of being HIV+ or HIV-. Some people will top at 400 and some higher. Most will never reach >1000. For all intents and purposes, a cd4 count of 500 can be just as good as a count of 800. Some people with low counts may never have health issues while someone with a count in the 1000s could have multiple health issues.

Without a cd4 test prior to your HIV infection there is no way to know what YOUR normal might have been. Your counts are currently DOUBLE the base of the normal range, so why would you think they would go higher?  :D Always remember it's not how many cd4s you have (although the general rule of thumb is "more is better") but how will they work (something we cannot test for at this time)

Studies have shown that people who have a low nadir count (that is, a very low count for their lowest count, normally <100) often take a longer time to recover and do not recover very high. Clearly your immune system has beaten the odds and recovered very well.  :D

they are not just "suggesting" fewer yearly tests, the cdc guidelines now call for fewer viral load and cd4 testing
After 2 years of ART, VL consistently suppressed and CD4 consistently 300-500:
Time between viral load test can extend to every 6 months for patients with consistent viral suppression for >=2 years.
With the cd4 test done every 12 months

After 2 years of ART, VL consistently suppressed and CD4 consistently >500 cells/mm3:
the CD4 test is Optional

https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/1/adult-and-adolescent-arv-guidelines/458/plasma-hiv-1-rna--viral-load--and-cd4-count-monitoring
"Table 4. Recommendations on the Indications and Frequency of Viral Load and CD4 Count Monitoring"
http://hiv.ucsf.edu/docs/hiv_monitoring_guideline.pdf
"Table. Summary of HIV-specific routine laboratory monitoring" (pg 5)

one of the biggest reasons the cd4 is used less as clinical test now, is that once a person is above 200 and the danger zone of OIs has passed, there really isn't need to know the cd4 count. There is no medical way yet to elevate cd4s so the only thing we can do is suppress HIV to allow cd4s to recover. Without being able to measure the strength of cd4s, knowing the absolute count really doesn't tell you or your doctor anything about your HIV disease or your actual "health". As I mentioned earlier, some people are healthy in the 300-500 range (that would be me! nearly problem-free in the very low 300s for a decade) and some people in the 800-1200 range have health issues.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 06:24:37 am »
Hi Randy, if I am reading correctly, you were diagnosed in 2005.  And maybe you posted in this forum by mistake, but this it the pre-haart long term survivor's forum. You can only post here if you were diagnosed before 1996.  Thank you for your cooperation.

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.