Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:59:02 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 726
Total: 726

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Increased risk MM??  (Read 7636 times)

Offline VeryWorriedUK

Increased risk MM??
« on: January 31, 2008, 07:57:46 pm »
Hi,

Before I start, I would like to thank everyone who is going to be answering this before hand.

My situation is as follows. I recently had an encounter with another man of unknown HIV status. I was determined on playing it relatively safe and made sure it didn't go any further than oral sex and mutual masturbation. (I am going to go in some detail now and I apologize) The problem is he cam before I did and I continued masturbating for another 5 to 10 minutes. I didn't use his semen as lube or anything but did touch him while I masturbated (so I am nearly sure I got some on my hand). When it was all done I wiped myself off and went and washed up (usually wash up everywhere but can't remember if I did this time). I did shower when I got home and noticed a small (2-3 mm) cut on the head of my penis (am circumcised). I am sure it happened while I was with him (probably his teeth). It wasn't deep and wasn't bleeding at the time but I can't say for sure it didn't bleed while I was with him. It scabbed the next day. It has been three weeks since the encounter and suprise, surprise I have been feeling lethargic (nothing to extreme - still work and go to the gym just feeling tired a lot quicker) developed a low grade fever today (only 37.27 C but my usual temp is around 36.5). I am sure I am paying too much attention to these symptoms which makes absolutely no sense as they could indicate anything.

My question now is how high was my risk? The reason I am worried is because with Oral sex, vaginal sex and anal sex they always say all it takes is a little cut? Does that increase the risk of mutual  masturbation to those levels? And another thing I was wondering - I am planning on taking an HIV duo test at 5 weeks (they say it is 99.8% accurate at 28 days - nearly the same accuracy as the Elisa test at 3 months?). HIV duo tests for HIV 1 and 2 and p24 antigen. So is that test as conclusive as an Elisa at three months?   

Would appreciate any feedback. I know its probably just my head playing with me but still worried.

Thank you again
Marc

Offline RapidRod

Re: Increased risk MM??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 08:03:05 pm »
You didn't have a risk at all.

Offline VeryWorriedUK

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:15:31 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. I am not going to lie and will probably still check - even if just for the fact that I don't take my temperature and worry when it fluctuates in normal ranges.

What about the HIV Duo vs. Elisa? I don't want to be wasting anyones time and knowing that my case is very, very, very low risk to no risk at all I hope I don't offend people with more serious worries.

Best,
Marc

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 08:21:51 pm »
Rod is quite correct when he says you were not at risk and that you do not need to test for HIV. HIV is not transmitted via oral sex and/or mutual masturbation.

The Duo test is an ELISA test.

Please take the time to read our Welcome Thread and follow the links to our Lessons to learn more about how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline VeryWorriedUK

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 08:47:33 pm »
I did read them and I already apologized for posting a low risk question but I am still anxious. In a way I was looking for reassurance and to be told I am being irrational, so I guess thank you. I am bisexual, not out and can't talk to anyone about this so that is why I turned to here. So the whole semen/sexual fluid coming into contact with broken skin is just a precaution by the CDC and other institutions?

I am not an expert on HIV tests, so I probably was wrong in comparing DUO tests to Elisa, but slightly confused why one is only reliable after three months and the other after 28 days. Just wanted to make sure the claim isn't false. The clinic is a good one, but just making sure:

http://www.freedomhealth.co.uk/article_hiv_test_and_testing_london_uk_332.aspx

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 09:01:02 pm »
Very,

The issue here is your acceptance of your sexuality. You've swallowed the propaganda concerning hiv hook, line and sinker. You weren't at risk. Here's what you need to know to keep yourself hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline VeryWorriedUK

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 10:54:19 pm »
Thank you for everyone who has posted on here and taken the time to answer my question.

There is a few things I want to get off my chest though:

1 - I am completely happy and fine with my sexuality. This has absolutely nothing to do with it. I am 24 years old, have been in relationships (not at the same time) with both sexes for years now and am not forcing myself to be one thing or the other. I would be just as worried if I had unprotected sex with a woman of unknown status. Its not very nice to jump to assumptions - just because there is a stigma applied to bi people (closet gay men etc. etc.) it doesn't apply to all - not one glove fits all.
2 - Which brings me to my second point - Thank you for the links Ann but I don't have unprotected sex. Condoms can break though (even if you follow all the rules) and if I was (which I now know I wasn't) dumb enough to put myself at risk, I wouldn't want anyone else to pay for it. If I was having rampant unprotected sex, would I be worried about transmission through semen/cut contact during mutual masturbation?
3 - I did read the welcome post, however, as a cut in the skin isn't the norm for mutual masturbation, I was just making sure whether it would change the risk level. I was hoping to, like i said so many times, reassure myself. I can't but feel that the reactions were all dismissive. Wouldn't it be more foolish of me to just disregard something I am not educated about and continue being sexually active?
4 - I didn't buy into propaganda - I never at one point said BUT IT SAID THIS, and IT SAID THAT (unless the window period is propaganda - which again, if it is, I apologize I am by no means an expert). I was simply asking questions - with all the propaganda out there, the only way to learn would be that way. On that point, I would still appreciate an answer on the DUO vs. regular test - regardless of whether people deem it appropriate for me to have one. 
5 - Which brings me to my fifth point - I am no expert on this issue (in part maybe because I am extremely careful and try my best not to put myself at risk), which is why I came on here for help. I did read up on it and if propaganda is the majority of what I found then I don't think I can be blamed for that. Again, that is why I wanted to talk to people who seemed to be very aware and educated on this issue.
6 - I do have regular STD check ups - the last one actually just last year in November and it all came back negative. I am aware that my sexuality carries greater risks for transmitting things like Chlamydia (which might not greatly affect me) to women - which can be a lot more damaging for them.

Either way -  I appreciate everyones input and apologize again for posting a no risk situation - as I clearly irritated some people by it.

Thanks
Best
Marc

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 11:46:18 pm »
Marc,

It's unfortunate that you are not happy with the advice that you've received. We here at AIDSmeds are not in the business of making assumptions and I can assure you that we have strict policies about not judging nor coming to unfounded conclusions about an individual's sexual identity.

I am completely happy and fine with my sexuality. This has absolutely nothing to do with it. I am 24 years old, have been in relationships (not at the same time) with both sexes for years now and am not forcing myself to be one thing or the other. I would be just as worried if I had unprotected sex with a woman of unknown status. Its not very nice to jump to assumptions - just because there is a stigma applied to bi people (closet gay men etc. etc.) it doesn't apply to all - not one glove fits all.

I would suggest to you that you might want to be careful before you lecture Ann about bi-sexuality. You may be jumping to conclusions yourself.

If you always have protected sex then you have no need to worry about contracting HIV. Mutual masturbation is not a risk behaviour in terms of HIV transmission. Even if you do have a cut or graze on your penis.

Whether or not you have yourself tested for HIV is a matter for you. We're simply telling you that testing is not warranted in your case given the sexual behaviours you report. All you need to know about the Duo test is that it is an approved diagnostic ELISA test which, like all ELISA tests, has a 12 week window period.

We recommend that all sexually active adults have regular STD screening because it's a good habit to get into. Many STD's are far more prevalent and transmissible than HIV. Chlamydia, gonorrhoea and syphilis can be transmitted via unprotected oral sex, whereas HIV cannot be. Other STD's such as genital warts and genital herpes are transmitted via skin-to-skin contact and it's possible to be infected with these on genital areas which are not covered by latex condoms.

Further, no one was irritated by your questions. We are merely in the business of providing people with the unvarnished truth in a civil and straight forward manner. If this offends your sensibilities, then that's matter for you.

I hope this helps clarify things somewhat.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 11:55:08 pm »
Very,

As Matty has alluded to, I happen to be bi myself. No judgements here. I just call 'em as I see 'em.

You haven't had a risk. The sooner you come to grips with that, the better off we'll all be.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline VeryWorriedUK

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 12:05:40 am »
MtD - Thank you for your reply. It does clarify some things. I didn't jump to any conclusions about Ann's sexuality or personal life. I am not in the position to do that - especially not after a few posts. Regardless though, there is sadly more of a stigma applied to bi men then there is to women. I admit with my reaction to such an exposure probably borders on hypochondria - but with infections such as HIV in the equation, I think that it might be  somewhat justified. With being a little over emotional - it is extremely late here and I am still up working :) might have to do with that. 

Ann - If the "I just call 'em as I see 'em" is again trying to imply this has anything to do with the security in my sexuality - then you truly are passing judgement. I am not going to try to convince you of something which really only affects me, especially because you are in no position to question it. In my second post I thought I made it clear I came to "grips" with the reality of it being no risk - the posts after that were explaining my unfounded fear - and I can only apologize if I infringed on your ability to be "better off" by posting a few posts.

Best regards and good night
Marc 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:17:02 am »
Marc,

Gee, we have so much in common! I'm also in the UK; the Isle of Man for me. I know how late it is. I'm up too. ::)

You admit your reaction borders on hypochondria. I took a guess at why. Maybe you should do the same.

You didn't have a risk. End of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline VeryWorriedUK

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 07:57:06 am »
And you still picked on a fellow resident of the British Isles ;) 

I am on the border of England/Wales - not from there but live there - and no it isn't true what they claim about what we do to sheep here  ;D

I honestly appreciate the fact that you even took the time to answer my posts. My hypochondria is just part of my slightly cautious, yes I admit even paranoid, nature - I am the type to think that I also am lucky enough to have the roller coaster fail on me at Alton Towers, plane crash, etc. I always have this paranoia that I can be unlucky enough. Not the best mindset and usually I deal with it, but like I said with HIV it's something I don't want to take chances with at all - ever.

Hope you have a good day on this freezing day! You won't be getting snow down there will you?

Take care and all the best
Marc

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 08:31:05 am »
Marc,

It's hailing as I write. And it's bloody cold!

You might want to think about seeing a counselor for your paranoia issues. You really don't have to live like that.

Remember, you didn't have a risk in anything you brought to us.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline VeryWorriedUK

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 09:38:04 am »
Hey Ann,

Do agree about seeing the counselor. Have played with the idea for a while now because liked you said I don't want to live like that and its not healthy.

Right then, guess that has my question answered.

Wish all of you all the best and would like to applaud you people for all you do here - it is truly amazing and very comforting to many.

Do I delete my thread now that is not needed anymore?

Wishing you all the best, good health and happiness
Marc

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 09:48:47 am »
No, your thread doesn't get deleted, Marc.

Along with it being a response to you, others are likely to read the exchanges and hopefully benefit from them.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.