Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:54:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 235
Total: 235

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada and Isentress has been bery bery good to me...  (Read 10035 times)

Offline sharkdiver

Truvada and Isentress has been bery bery good to me...
« on: November 10, 2009, 05:51:20 pm »
So I've been on the new regiment for 6 months now.

Numbers are still good and undetectable. Although the Reyataz route was the first time I remained undetectable (since beginning meds way back when), the effect on the lipids was scary.  

I'm happy to report that my cholesterol is normal. But my triglycerides have been hovering at 1000 (down from 6000 6 months ago), So the doc called and said he wanted to start me up on Niacin. Not Niaspan or extended release because they would be bad on my liver (along with the fish oil..not recommended for me either).   I start tonight with a gradual dose starting at 50mg 3 times a day with food to 500mg 3 times a day in about 6 weeks.  I hope this works.

Still, Truvada and Isentress has been the easiest on my body so far.  oh and this is the first time since I can remember that I have not had any potty  problems...  (I know TMI)

As I'm approaching my 25th year on this journey, I can actually say  I'm ok. No hospital visits in the last 6 months, no weird body stuff going on, been going through a lot of great emotional healing and I'm actually making  plans for the future

:)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Truvada and Isentress has been bery bery good to me...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 06:06:56 pm »
Glad to hear how well you are doing on this.  I've been on it almost exactly two years now (though Prezista/Norvir is added on top of this for me because of my resistance profile) and it's been my best regimen.

Good luck with your triglyceride issue.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 06:09:34 pm »
That's great, darling.  I just started on Truvada/Isentress, and it's great to hear good about it.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 09:47:57 pm »
I've been on the same combo for about five months now. I still have no problems with it and my lipids dropped substantially when I switched off the PIs and Combivir.

Someone I know said they now get muscle cramps and he wondered if it was the Isentress. I said I had not heard that, although I also get muscle cramps. In my case though, it could be the walking I have been doing lately.

Glad to hear you are doing so well with it and that you are not having the "potty problems." During my years on Crix I had more than my share of those problems, but not since I have switched.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:52:33 am »
Mark, the pharmacist told me about the muscle cramping side effects with Isentress.  He said they can be exacerbated by acid reducers.  I take Pepcid (prescription), so I've been on the alert.  Nothing so far, but yeah, the pharmacist did say that could be a side effect.  He also said to let the doctor know.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 10:38:52 am »
Mark,

keep us informed about the cramping. Hopefully it's just all of the extra walking you've been doing.

Hugs,
Eric

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 10:50:44 am »
I'd not heard of any pharmacist saying what Betty just said (not surprising since I've been on it much longer), so I was curious and googled about it and see one place that states:

source

Tell your doctor immediately if you experience any muscular symptoms such as pain, tenderness, cramps, or weakness while taking this medicine, particularly if it is accompanied by a fever or feeling generally unwell. Your doctor may need to check for side effects on the muscles by taking a blood test to measure the level of a compound called creatinine phosphokinase in your blood. If this is the case, the test should not be done following strenuous exercise.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 09:31:24 pm »
Thanks for the link Philly, and the info Betty.

The information in the link also mentioned a possible interaction between Isentress and a proton pump inhibitor, as Betty mentioned, and with Nicotinic acid (niacin).

I take both.

I will keep an eye on this and keep you posted. So far, the muscle cramps come at odd intervals and often in odd places. While sometimes in my calf muscles, they also pop up in my lats and other muscles of the abdomen.

Weird, but true.

The creatinine phosphokinase test they are talking about is very familiar to me. We usually call it a CPK, and it was the test done by my doctor to find out whether the statins were causing my achy muscles. According to the lab report, they are supposed to be less than 200, mine were more than 2,000.

That is why I dropped the statins - I had to. It also is what led to the switch to Isentress/Truvada.

I will be keeping a close eye on this. I will also let the person who brought this topic up to me know this so he also can keep close tabs on his cramps.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:38:40 pm by aztecan »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 08:30:14 am »
I guess I'm in the same boat as Philly ... I never had a pharmacist mention anything about muscle cramps.  I've been on Truvada/Isentress/Prezista/Norvir (and a PPI Prevacid Solu-tab) since 2007 and so far so good!

I have noticed more potty issues lately but I put that down to not being able to have fiber due to the gastroparesis.  When I first went on it I was thrilled and how quickly the potty issues disappeared.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline aztecan

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 10:26:25 am »
The muscle cramps have pretty much vanished, so maybe it was just my old body telling me to lighten up! ;)

I will still keep an eye on this. I also have asked the doctor to include a CPK test when I have my labs done next month.

It never hurts to keep on top of things.

I spoke with another person yesterday who also switched to Truvada/Isentress because of lipo issues.

She reported having headaches for the first three weeks or so. They have pretty much subsided now, she said.

Neither of us reported the potty issues. I know when I returned from my seafaring excursion, I had some issues, but mostly because of all the fat I ate while on ship. :o ::)

Onward and upward!

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:30:31 am by aztecan »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 11:31:07 am »
Oh, I had some sporadic headaches too when I first started Isentress.  But having made so, so many regimen switches in my life I can definitely state I've had that with almost every new HIV medication.  I always have aspirin on hand for any med change.  It was probably only one a week for a month though, nothing to write home about.

Offline aztecan

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:31 pm »
This person didn't think it was unbearable either. She just noted the headaches because she had switched. Aside from that, she has already noticed very, very positive body shape changes, mostly in the realm of putting some fat on where she wanted it and not seeing the lipohypertrophy advance.

She is a happy camper. Come to think of it, so am I! ;D

HUGS,

Mark

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2009, 05:35:30 am »
I like this combo much better than the previous one (Kaletra/Trizivir).  The doc's going to recheck the viral load lab in a month to see if it's improved; if it has, great, if not, he's going to add Prezista/Norvir.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2009, 10:06:57 am »
I hope it continues to work for you BT  :)

I started my second week of niacin at 100mg 3 times a day. A little flushing and feeling a little warm. but nothing too bad.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 10:36:59 am »
Sharkie,

I too am on issentriss and presista with the norvir.  I had both the headaches and the muscle aches for about three months, then it all subsided and I am doing better than I have for about 18 years.  These new medications are really making me think about my hard line on a terminal illness.  Still, I can't refute that we are all still guinea pigs due to the newness of all these treatments.  However, I am not worring about any of my HIV issues anymore, only my teeth, bones, and other aging issues.  Mostly I am really living for the first time in years, but the PN still kicks my ass on a daily basis.  

Please pass the pipe..........  ;)

P.S.  Sharkie, if the niacin works for you, it is really the best therapy for the cholestorol because of it's natural base.  I have used it for years with really good success.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:38:40 am by Moffie65 »
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:58 am »
I like this combo much better than the previous one (Kaletra/Trizivir).  The doc's going to recheck the viral load lab in a month to see if it's improved; if it has, great, if not, he's going to add Prezista/Norvir.

Ah, so you switched because you'd become detectable then, and not just because you wanted an easier combo?  Kaletra is one thing I do not miss ever!  I'm surprised that you were taking Trizivir since you have rather feisty PN issues.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 10:41:15 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 06:44:51 pm »
Ah, so you switched because you'd become detectable then, and not just because you wanted an easier combo?  Kaletra is one thing I do not miss ever!  I'm surprised that you were taking Trizivir since you have rather feisty PN issues.

Yeah, my viral load went up to 31,500.  I didn't like taking Trizivir, and just the week and 1/2 I've been off, my feet don't feel like numb weights so much (does that make sense).  Hopefully my viral load will go up on just the two meds, but at least there's something to add to it that's pretty user-friendly instead of having to be paranoid about the awful side effects of some of the other meds.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.