Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:38:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 351
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Emergency meds question  (Read 7626 times)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Emergency meds question
« on: August 30, 2006, 09:45:07 am »
OK quick situation.  Pharmacy is OUT of Truvada.  Didnt get to take my dose yesterday and now they tell me I wont be able to get it till tomorrow around lunch.  I have some left over combivir at home from the switch 3 months back.

WHAT DO I DO?
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Christine

Re: Emergency meds question
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 10:03:50 am »
Some ideas:

Does the pharmacy have any Truvada at all? Tell them you need one pill for today.

Call around to other pharmacies in your area and see if they have any in stock.

Call your doctor to see if they have any available.

Are there any hiv+ in your area that you are in contact with? If yes, ask if they have truvada, and see if you can borrow one until tomorrow.

The pharmacy that I use does not usually carry hiv meds in stock, they have to be ordered a day in advance. So I try to re-order with a few days buffer.

Christine

Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 10:12:16 am »
Did you ask the pharamacy for a suggestion? How about if they call another pharmacy and ask if it's in stock and could you pick up a couple of doses there as professional courtesy?

Any ASO organization nearby you can call to ask?

Keep us posted. Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 10:24:02 am »
hello

what christine and andy said.

don't sub in the combivir.

you should be fine, till tomorrow, if you can't get hold of it. tenofovir and ftc  both have long half-lives. tenofovir, there is at least one study where it is still present intracellularly 60hours later. FTC is still in the bloodstream 39hours after last dose.

don't panic, captain mainwaring, you will be fine..just make sure they understand,in future, your pharmacy/clinic, the importance of continuity of medication supply..

Kate

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:38:41 am »
Thank you all.  I havent missed a dose as of yet.  So was just a little worried.  Got WAY to much going on.  Selling a house, moving, getting married in 2 months, got COOTIES AND ADHD!  Too much fun!

Edited to add.... I will just wait till tomorrow. 
RIDE!!!

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 11:03:42 am »
Certainly if it is a chain, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, etc. they would have access to Truvada at one of their stores. Hard to believe all of KC is out of Truvada.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 11:22:35 am »
CVS and they called and the other stores dont have it.
RIDE!!!

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 11:31:12 am »
I am going to provide a descending position to the above and say you could substitute Combivir for a couple of days until the Truvada comes in.  You may get side-effects from the AZT since your body is not used to it but that's about it.

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 11:32:30 am »
Either that or escalate the issue to a store manager and tell them you'd like them to get the Truvada from a competitor.  You shouldn't have to pay for their inventory mistakes (either monetarily or in health).

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 11:33:58 am »
I honestly tend to blame myself for waiting.  I usually don't. 
RIDE!!!

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 11:40:35 am »
Hey, it happens.  I left a 2 week buffer once and it still happened to me as someone snatched my mail-order meds from my front door step.  The online pharmacy (Caremark) allowed me to buy a 5 day supply at Target and then re-reimbursed me until they got a replacement batch. 

Don't blame yourself - escalate the issue as a loyal customer and you'll get some action.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 11:47:01 am »
Do they have the drugs separately avaliable (i.e., Viread and Emtriva)?  How can all of the CVS stores be out of that drug in the entire city (KC is not that small)?  That seems strange and hard to believe.  Are you certain they actually made the effort to see if other stores had the drug?  Can you check a couple yourself, they may just be having a lazy day or two.  I would certainly complain about this to the regional manager, as this is poor inventory tracking if an entire city is out of a drug.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 11:49:31 am by Cliff »

Offline jmorti

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2006, 02:32:55 pm »
OK quick situation.  Pharmacy is OUT of Truvada.  Didnt get to take my dose yesterday and now they tell me I wont be able to get it till tomorrow around lunch.  I have some left over combivir at home from the switch 3 months back.

WHAT DO I DO?

ACinKC,

If you're here in the Kansas City area, you might check with BioScrip Pharmacy.  They're down on the Plaza.  You can get directions from their website, http://www.bioscrip.com .  They specialize in HIV meds, so I'd venture to guess that they would have what you need. Jeff Julian is the Pharmacy Manager, I'm sure he can hook you up with what you need.

I don't rely on the retail pharmacies to make sure I have my meds, the folks at BioScrip are well versed with the meds, not to mention they support AidsWalk and other local HIV/AIDS related fundraisers.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2006, 02:37:49 pm by jmorti »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2006, 02:49:09 pm »
Nothing really to add, but good luck...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2006, 03:21:07 pm »
Thanks guys, all taken care of.  Drove an hour and a half to the Dr. to get what me body needs!

Thanks for coming together on this for me.  Nice to have family.  (the kind that doesnt bitch and moan and yell at you for waiting to fill your meds all the while you know they are thinking well you did this to yourself)
RIDE!!!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2006, 08:39:33 pm »
Hey ACinKC,

I am happy to hear that things worked out for you.

Have the BEST Day.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2006, 11:11:28 pm »
I'm glad it worked out :) and for the record... I can't stand CVS since they bought out Eckerd.  I use Walgreen's now, and had to bitch and raise all sorts of hell to make them keep enough Kaletra in stock for me, as it seems I'm the only one in that store who uses it, LOL!  I told them I could take my business elsewhere... they were quick to keep three month's worth in stock for me, LMAO.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline jmorti

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 08:54:52 am »
Well, I got a wonderful call from my insurance company regarding the pharmacy I mentioned in my last post.  They've dropped them from my insurance!  Fortunately, BioScrip was able to refer me to another (owned by CVS) Specialty Pharmacy in the metro. (It's called PharmaCare for those in the KC area that may need to change also.)  However, I discussed it with my ID Doctor and since my genotype came back with good news and I'll be staying on these meds, I'm going to do the mailorder route since it will save me about $400/yr.  Gotta love overpaid executives deciding where you should shop.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Offline jlrvinton

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 04:28:29 pm »
     As a rule, you shouldn't miss any doses.... and your meds should be taken at the same time daily...
HOWEVER (please everyone, don't flip out over this....) you were probably switched to Truvada either because you developed some kind of resistance to AZT or Epivir....or to simplify your med routine....EITHER way, DON'T STRESS YOURSELF OUT OVER MISSING A DOSE.... Stress is something that you should AVOID if you can.... Most CVS pharmacys are willing to order and keep your meds in stock once you develop a relationship with the pharmacist....IF NOT, Try to find a Pharmacist that is willing to work with you..... National chain pharmacys can be difficult....Have you considered a Kroger Pharmacy...? They even deliver (at least the ones in Knoxville did....) and because they have a smaller client/patient base....they are usually willing to work with people in your circumstances...  Also consider looking for a LOCAL "boutique" type Pharmacy that works with the Gay community.... They almost ALWAYS carry a full stock of HIV related Meds..... and you don't need to explain to them WHY its important that you NOT miss a dose..... Kansas City is large enough to have at least a few.....
                               GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 08:19:28 pm »
Guys.. THANK YOU FOR ALL OF THIS!  You have given me so many new and good ideas.  I will keep you updated on this situation as I now look for a new Pharmacy.

Andrew
RIDE!!!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 09:09:08 pm »
Hello Andrew, it is Eldon. Here is a link that may help you with your search:

http://www.prioritypharmacy.com/hivaids.asp.

Have the BEST Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.