Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:59:28 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 389
Total: 390

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 20 Years Pos & Still Here!!  (Read 10647 times)

Offline stella8940

20 Years Pos & Still Here!!
« on: April 05, 2008, 08:13:56 pm »
Hi Everyone,
I found out in 1988 that I was pos, it was devastating. I was also told at that time that I had 6 months to a year to live by the TOP AIDS Dr in the country. But look, here I am. I went on meds several years later after stubborn discussions with my docs. I had previosly decided that I would never take the drugs, but I did and I am.
I take very good care of myself, take my meds like clockwork and sometimes worry about borrowed time or future consequences of the drugs and disease. But my CD4 is 1300 and VL undetectable, I drink a ton of water, eat my veggies, and get plenty of excersize. I have that wonderful Lipo belly and a few well meaning folks have asked when Im due! How do you answer that one?!! ;)
My biggest strategy has been not to stare at the plate. You know... People say they have a lot on thier plate, well I kno I have a lot on my plate, but i just dont stare at it! Having a great sense of humor has also been nessesary I was sick this week in the hospital for 2 days with wierd internal bleeding and that was scary because I live alone and have no family within 2000 miles. But I am strong, and hope to be strong as long as possible. It is really good to see other long term survivors, and to see what may lay on the road ahead. Bless you all and stay strong!!
Hugs  8) Stella

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
Re: 20 Years Pos & Still Here!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 05:48:53 am »
Wow Stella, so nice to read your post, you have made my night. I am so so so so so glad you are ok and that everything is working fine for you, you give me inspiration and help me out to be more optimistic in my approach, thanks a lot.

I am a year diagnosed... well a year and 29 days but i hope i can also count the 20 years and keep on having such a great humour sense of you. Congratulations!!!

Keep it up!!! Hugs and kisses.

Juan Carlos , very optimistic
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 06:50:04 am »
Hi Stella,

I was also diagnosed in 1988 (September), and given the same prognosis by my doctor – that I had six months to live at the most. Well here we are, even tho doctors have been trying to kill me with their helpful ways ever since.

My how things have changed in only two short decades!

Welcome to the forums,

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 08:17:18 am »
Stella, welcome to the forums.  I've welcomed you as well in our women's forum. 

When I was diagnosed in 1989, I was told the same thing about not living long.  But like you said, here we are.  I find a sense of humor a necessity. 

And thank God for the new meds, no more of that nasty shit that almost killed us in the earlier days.  I hope to hear more from you.  Take care.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 08:46:00 am »
I have that wonderful Lipo belly and a few well meaning folks have asked when Im due! How do you answer that one?!! ;)

I have had one or two say that to me. However, I tell them to go F*** themselves. They usually get the message. Also got to say the ones that said it to me were not "well meaning."

Stella, welcome to the forums !!! Be looking forward to hearing more from you.

Take care of yourself----Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008, 11:25:27 am »
Hey Stella!

Welcome to the forums. I'm glad you've joined in.  ;D

I was diagnosed in 1985 and, like you and the others, was told my days were numbered.

I outlived the doc who told me. At least, I think I have.

I look forward to hearing more from you. Hope that internal bleeding is a thing of the past.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline 25YRSAGO

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008, 05:34:13 pm »
Hello Stella,

Kudos to you for having such a great outlook.  It is very important for everyone, not just those of us with HIV over 20 yrs.  I've been positive, as well as I can estimate, since October of 1984.  I know this only because several years after that, I found out that one of my relationships (I was about 19 at the time) had died....I had already known I had become positive, but could narrow it down to that one person. 

After living with the black cloud on my head for 10 years, and basically thriving on a 'devil may care' attitude...moving from NJ to LA for 8 yrs, then back to NJ in 98, in and out of colleges...but always feeling like it was my last year on earth...now I am in RI...that's Rhode Island.  I've fired doctor and nurse alike...and I mean F I R E D.  You know, told them where to go.  Because for the first 14 yrs...up until 1998, I took no meds.  I refused.  Working at the wonderful Bristol-Myers Squibb through all the times when gay men were out on the streets screaming for faster FDA approvals for those dying NOW, I learned that these pharma companies have their bottom line first...I happened to work for the PhD overseeing the very first Phase I (was it DDI?) DDI trials in Japan....which by the way killed 7% of all patients of acute pancreatitis....with or without HIV.  SO I WAS SCARED OF THESE DRUGS...and I saw the execs there manipulate the public sentiment for their financial advantage...and THERE AND THEN decided never to take DDI at least.  Well that was then...

In 94 in LA, I found out my TCells were in the hooter at about 216...and worked for AIDS Project LA at that point.  So, after the earthquake and this, I went a little nutty.  Ha ha ha.  I saw the statistics for survival every day at APLA...and still the docs were telling me my future was grim..and I was poor as could be working for this charity.  98 I got PCP, 99 Crypto and a hernia, 03 acute appendicitis, 04 had to have my shoulder replaced thanks to the steroids mixed with antivirals while having cryptococcoal meningitis....OK OK..you see it's been no picnic...but here I stand.  Still Strong in Mind, Strong in Spirit and a bit less strong in body.  The 'lipo' belly/neck thing has happened, the shoulder replacement isn't the best, and now of all things I can't seem to lose weight.  My DOC (who in Providence is the greatest I've ever had) tells me I'm now resistent to almost everything....but I STILL refuse to believe it (and he respects this)...my tests all came back several times now saying I am resistent to all the drugs in ATRIPLA...and I tell him, well, I take it everyday without question because it's easy to do once a day.  And here, my health is better now than it's been for quite some time.  The load isn't quite undetectable, but closer to it than on any of the other meds, and my TCells are almost 300 which is FAR better than pretty much anytime in the past 10 yrs...maybe 15. 

YOU SEE, the strength in spirit, being willing to make drastic changes in your life when the chips are down to take care of your own health, the ability to stay on top of any medical development this world offers us...it's all very important.  I've now been with the same HIV pos partner for 8 yrs.  We run a business together, at home, and pretty much answer to no one.  Just remember, any bad thing could end up a good thing in the long run.  EVERYONE had bad things happen to them.  I can't tell you one of the bad things that I've endured yet that had not ended up being a most amazing, great and wonderful thing.  So keep your spirit strong, your body healthy as you can, and your mind focused on the life you want to enjoy.  STONG MIND, STRONG BODY, STRONG SPIRIT!!!
STRONG MIND, STRONG BODY, STRONG SPIRIT!!!

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 08:27:28 pm »
Hey 25, welcome to the forums.  I must say, there are other meds out there.  Are you resistant to everything?  And if not, why aren't you on something you're not resistant to?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline hudstar

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 09:43:10 am »
Hi Everyone,
I found out in 1988 that I was pos, it was devastating. I was also told at that time that I had 6 months to a year to live by the TOP AIDS Dr in the country. But look, here I am. I went on meds several years later after stubborn discussions with my docs. I had previosly decided that I would never take the drugs, but I did and I am.

Hey Stella, Im glad you are here as well. I was diagnosed same year with same diagnosis regarding life span. We must have done something to get this far? Like your concerns I remain optimistic about my future in regards to unforseen health problems from long term pill use . We all went through so many periods of "not knowing". I guess being in this state is like a second skin yet it still does linger way in the back of our minds
diagnosed 1988
POZ personals - hudster

Offline Texan38

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 10:33:27 am »
Hi Stella!!
WELCOME!! ;)
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline 25YRSAGO

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:40:36 pm »
Hey Betty,

I'm on Atripla.  It's working...but my tests come back saying I am resistant.  Some of the docs in the practice I visit suspected this to happen, that the resistance tests were not entirely accurate...OR....that sometimes, certain drugs still worked in combo regardless of the resistance patterns.  So I took the chance, and I must say, I'm happy with the results even though my doc is a little dumfounded by this.  I have very little left as choices that aren't resistant and prefer to completely exhaust a drugs ability to work ... especially if that drug has little or no side effects.  I found that Atripla is that for now.  Go figure?
STRONG MIND, STRONG BODY, STRONG SPIRIT!!!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 09:53:14 pm »
Welcome Stella!

I am also 22 years on and received the same life/death diagnosis as you, also from a well regarded doctor.   But, here we are!  I still see the same doctor to this day.  But let me tell you, I've taught him a thing or two!

Just keep on with your groove!  Wishing you many, many healthy and happy years ahead!

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 12:54:40 pm »
 Welcome Stella
I'm a longtimer also . I'm certainly not bragging but my doctors call me the relic I have had HIV so long .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:26:52 pm »
Welcome to AIDSmeds Stella.

I have that wonderful Lipo belly and a few well meaning folks have asked when Im due! How do you answer that one?!! ;)

With the belly sometimes I tell them its due any day now, or make up a date if I dont feel like messing with them. If I'm feeling spunky I might look at them like they are loony and say I'm not pregnant I'm just fat. LOL

Offline Irontool_555

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 02:21:12 pm »
I  was diagnoses  with hiv in 1985 which is 23 years already. My CD4 are above 750 and my CV has been undetectable, thanks to God. I live in Monterrey Mexico and I would like to meet other people from the same city that are also positive.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 02:34:01 pm »
Welcome to the forums, Irontool.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.