Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:19:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 381
Total: 382

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Coffee - I gotta have my java  (Read 18367 times)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

Coffee - I gotta have my java
« on: June 18, 2010, 08:10:19 pm »
I start each morning with three mugs of coffee.  This routine started years ago and its really my only vice.  I dont smoke, do illegal drugs, or things that are bad for my physically, but I require a good amount of coffee each morning to get going.  I dont think I am getting too much caffeine on a daily basis, just a huge shot of during the first hour of my day.  Is there any evidence that this could substantially slow the healing process? 

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Coffee - I gotta have my java
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:18:24 pm »
I start each morning with three mugs of coffee.  This routine started years ago and its really my only vice.  I dont smoke, do illegal drugs, or things that are bad for my physically, but I require a good amount of coffee each morning to get going.  I dont think I am getting too much caffeine on a daily basis, just a huge shot of during the first hour of my day.  Is there any evidence that this could substantially slow the healing process? 

No

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 08:27:15 pm »
Is there any evidence that this could substantially slow the healing process? 
lordy :D if that was true my 25+ year 2-liter+ a-day Coke habit would have killed me off years ago. ROFL ;D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 08:29:47 pm »
Thanks guys!  I think tomorrow I will grind some 8 o'clock beans then brew my daily dose.  Too many 'skeeters' here to drink it on the patio (thats would be my preference). 

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 08:48:29 pm »
Love my morning coffee - just the smell is a turn on for me  ;)
I wonder if they make a cologne that smells like fresh brewed?
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 08:53:17 pm »
I often dream about waking up and brewing coffee.

I wonder if they make a cologne that smells like fresh brewed?

Uh, actually there's a scent by Thierry Mugler called "Pure Coffee" (and yes, I own it)

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/28/scent-notes-angel-men-pure-coffee-by-thierry-mugler/
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 08:55:51 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 10:32:09 pm »
ah yes, coffee. Isn't it grand! 2 or 3 in the morning, then a couple Iced LAttes during the day, I just finished a latte :)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 10:51:14 pm »
Folgers, no doubt with a chaser of SpaghettiOs®

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 11:09:48 pm »
Folgers, no doubt with a chaser of SpaghettiOs®

Now you know I dont skimp on me coffe... Workin on a bag of Organic Shade Grown Mexico from Starbucks, and for the Espresso Machine I use Starbucks Espresso roast.

and before you start bringing in all these exotic organic coffees your drinking, yes, yes I know your an uppity coffe whore.

( i dont keep an emergency supply of instant Folgers though)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mewithu

• mewithu
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 12:31:49 am »
 Never heard of that being a problem with aids.
1997 is when I found out, being deathly ill. I had to go to the hospital due to extreme headache and fever. I fell coma like,  two months later weighing 95 pounds and in extreme pain and awoke to knowledge of Pancreatis, Cryptococcal Meningitis, Thrush,Severe Diarea,  Wasting, PCP pneumonia. No eating, only through tpn. Very sick, I was lucky I had good insurance with the company I worked for. I was in the hospital for three months that time. 
(2010 Now doing OK cd4=210  VL= < 75)
I have become resistant to many nukes and non nukes, Now on Reyataz, , Combivir. Working well for me not too many side effects.  I have the wasting syndrome, Fatigue  . Hard to deal with but believe it or not I have been through worse. Three Pulmonary Embolism's in my life. 2012 520 t's <20 V load

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 01:02:17 am »
I drink 8 to 10 cups in the morning.

Never seems to bother me. I can go to sleep right after I polish off a cup, so caffein isn't a problem for me.

I use a percolator, though.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 02:25:52 pm »
Coffee has been found to be beneficial for the liver.

LINK:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=29621.0

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 02:36:21 pm »

How quaint. Do you have antimacassars on your furniture?  :o

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 06:57:48 pm »
Hey Mech,

My grandmother had those on all her furniture in the living room... had little pins to keep them in place.  Thank goodness she did not keep that clear plastic covering on the lamp shades. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 01:27:38 am »
I

HUGS,

Mark

Ohhh i miss the percolators and the kitschy sound they make, and as a kid I always liked sitting there and watch the coffe bubble up in the little top. Might have to get me one for old time sakes.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:46 am »
Ohhh i miss the percolators and the kitschy sound they make, and as a kid I always liked sitting there and watch the coffe bubble up in the little top. Might have to get me one for old time sakes.

-Will

I've heard people swear that percolators make the coffee taste better.  I think that's psychosomatic.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 10:12:59 am »
I've owned this now for five years and really love it.  As it states and is quite true: It's a low pressure hybrid brewer, sharing traits between auto drip coffee and the venerable moka pot method of making poor-man's espresso.

http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/quickshot/krupsmokabrew

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 11:21:59 am »
Hey Mech,

My grandmother had those on all her furniture in the living room... had little pins to keep them in place.  Thank goodness she did not keep that clear plastic covering on the lamp shades. 

You mean like these?

My mother had those and my brother used to take them out and poke me and my sister with them.  :-[
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »
I have a big collection of them. There piles of this kind of stuff in the thrift shops in Switzerland. I'm too lazy to put it all on ebay, and people get mad about how much it costs to ship!

I think its touching when i see old embroidery or hand-made lace.  Some lady took eons to make that and we don't remember her, her life, etc.  I don't think this stuff should end up in the garbage. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 02:53:56 pm »
As I recall, the pins that held my grandmother's antimacassars down were straight pins with the little round white plastic pin heads on them.  As a child I got stuck by one of them when climbing on the chair.  WOW - have not though of those things in years.  Memory Lane is a wonderful place sometimes.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 03:08:18 pm »
As I recall, the pins that held my grandmother's antimacassars

hmmm, this is the first Ive heard of these things. I guess my granny wasn't classy enough to have these, although she did have a rockin' pink crocheted toilet paper cover with a barbie on top, I use to wear it as a hat.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 04:13:03 pm »
When I was a kid, I always wondered how a little bit of cloth meant to protect your furniture could also be used to stop massacres.

I also used to wonder where this "witches' zone" was and why anyone would want to go there.

Ah well, to each, his own I guess!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 04:50:41 pm »
Witches zone??? Im at a loss

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 05:02:03 pm »
Witches zone??? Im at a loss

When I was a kid and my mother used to say "to each, his own" (meaning everyone is different and likes different things) I always thought she was saying "to witches' zone".

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 05:39:43 pm »
When I was a kid and my mother used to say "to each, his own" (meaning everyone is different and likes different things) I always thought she was saying "to witches' zone".

Lol, Ive never heard of that misinterpretation. It must occur only in the Brits since they have that wacky accent.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 05:47:27 pm »
Lol, Ive never heard of that misinterpretation. It must occur only in the Brits since they have that wacky accent.

-W

Isn't Ann a US citizen originally?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 05:48:44 pm »

ahhh, good catch. yes, I believe she was.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2010, 05:57:02 pm »

Ann was born in the U.S., actually not too far from where I live.  Either that or she moved to not too far from where I live.  I live by South Bend, Indiana, and Ann lived in Ft. Wayne, about one and 1/2 hours from me.  Bizzaro. 

Sorry for that, Ann.  I probably should have let you answer.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2010, 06:06:07 pm »

This reminds me of when I was in college back in 94.  This girl who sat behind me in economics asked me one day what the French word was that the professor kept saying as he lectured.  I didn't have a clue what she meant.  She kept trying to say it, of course complete with the French accent.  I  couldn't figure it out because I never remembered him saying anything in French.   I told her next time he said it to tap me on the shoulder.  That very day, 15 minutes into lecture, he said, "be that as it may", and I knew it was coming, I immediately felt a little tap on my shoulder.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2010, 06:16:08 pm »
Hey Willy,

She had one of those toilet paper roll covers that looked like a cake.  It sat on top of the comode (but we were not suppose to use that roll - EVER!).  Thats another thing I have not though of since the 1900's.  It was pink with little colored appliques on it and the top had this thing that was suppose to be a candle.  I dont know where she got it or what ever happened to it. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2010, 09:21:02 pm »
Yep, I'm a born-and-bred Yank. Born in Ft Wayne Indiana, but moved as a toddler to the Greater Cleveland area. Don't worry Betty, I don't mind, it's all in my bio on the AboutUs page anyway.

I think I misheard my mother because either 1- she said it too fast or 2- I didn't understand what was meant and my mind tried to make sense of it by using words I was familiar with, or both of the above.

Or maybe I just had gunk in my ears, as kids tend to do.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2010, 09:28:17 pm »
I need to find myself a husband on the Isle of Man (or somewhere in Europe or Canada) so I won't have to worry about health care. I wonder if they recognize marriage amongst fagelah?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2010, 09:29:03 pm »
When I was a kid my neighbor asked me why I called her a sunny beach and I told her the truth ... that's what my momma calls you .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2010, 09:37:06 pm »
I need to find myself a husband on the Isle of Man (or somewhere in Europe or Canada) so I won't have to worry about health care. I wonder if they recognize marriage amongst fagelah?

We have civil unions. You could always marry me, I have a strap-on - and I bottom too. ;)  :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2010, 10:17:09 pm »
I have a strap-on - and I bottom too.

I'm going to embroider that one on a pillow.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2010, 10:21:05 pm »
We have civil unions. You could always marry me, I have a strap-on - and I bottom too. ;)  :)

Ann! I thought you were already married, hence your citizenship over there.

Don't get me started, 'cause I'll be on the next flight. We are the same age, ya know. 1962 rocks@!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2010, 10:45:42 pm »
I was married, once upon a time. We split in 1992 or 93 and got divorced in 2003 or 04. It didn't affect my legality here - they were already stuck with me by the time we got around to divorcing.

And yes, of course, 1962 is one of the best vintages around!

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 06:29:24 pm »
I found some really good Vietnamese coffee at the Asian market.  The brand is Trung Nguyen (gourmet blend).  This stuff is great!  Since the heat index here in South Carolina is around 103 today I tried some ice coffee with cream (evaporated milk).  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. 

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »
I found some really good Vietnamese coffee at the Asian market.  The brand is Trung Nguyen (gourmet blend).  This stuff is great!  Since the heat index here in South Carolina is around 103 today I tried some ice coffee with cream (evaporated milk).  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.. 

That sounds really good . . .  I should try it.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 09:44:49 pm »

Check this out people.  It's another interesting article on the health benefits of coffee!!  And Ann, you won't believe this, the studies were primarily done with women!!

Ooops, forgot the link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/coffeesmysteriousbenefitsmount
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 09:46:59 pm by skeebo1969 »
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2010, 12:15:36 am »
How quaint. Do you have antimacassars on your furniture?  :o

So that is what they are called!

No, but I do have lambskin throws. I adore the warmth and natural feel of leather and leather with fur.

I like my percolator. I have a drip coffee maker, but it never makes the coffee hot enough.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 09:12:53 pm »
Hey Mark,

Do you drink your coffee while resting on your lamb skin throws?  I have not had perked coffee since the Nixon adminstration.... need to try it again. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 06:50:56 am »
Totally agree with you there, on the necessity of very hot coffee!  I take coffee with milk, the more milk, the better.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 10:06:55 am »
I have gotten on this 'kick' where I like evaporated milk in my java.  It gives it a rich creamy taste and I also agree with mech that it needs to start out nice and hot.  I love that first cup of the day!  Its one pleasure I dont want to ever give up.  I did try a few of those Starbucks frozen drinks but they are too sweet for my taste.  Just cream... make it the color of the Mississippi River and I am fine.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:15 am »
If you can't handle a double shot espresso you're a sissyboy.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 10:18:56 am »
Its not the caffeine that I object to, its all the sugar they use in those frozen FOO FOO drinks.  I love espresso as well as dark chocolate covered coffee beans.  MMMMMMMMMMMM

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »
Id just like to add that I cant start my day without my one cup of black coffee, like a morning ritual for me! I may have an iced latte here and there, but my one cup of black coffee fortifies me for whatever is thrown at me later!  :)

Offline beaconpr

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »
Caffeine is eliminated thru urine...It is harmless, in fact it can help you deal with the drowsiness some meds can cause, keep having your coffee...I roast my beans and grind them every morning to produce the nectar of the gods (my family grew coffee for generations)...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.