Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:08:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Norvir, Truvada, Prezista: Rash  (Read 9782 times)

Offline notoutinilm

Norvir, Truvada, Prezista: Rash
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:44:07 am »
My luck does not seem to be going well....  6 weeks on Atripla and I had to switch because of a bad bleeding rash on my back.

Have been on Norvir, Truvada & Prezista and am developing a rash inside my elbows and knees.  Had a friend that is an ID doc look at it and he said I probably should change meds but have my ID doc look at it and check blood work.

I have a feeling that no matter what I take I am going to have skin problems... had minor issues before I started meds, I think from all those summers at the beaches with no lotion.

Has anyone else had a rash with this combo and if so, did it go away?

Thanks for any input!

Offline notoutinilm

Re: Norvir, Truvada, Prezista: Rash
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 12:12:14 pm »
Wow, I am not sure if no replies means good news or bad news?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 12:43:09 pm »
You should call your doctor.  A very small amount (0.04%) can get a bad rash from Prezista, I'm assuming that it may be connected to it being a sulfa allergy but I'm not sure of the mechanics.  I believe if you read the patient info sheet for this med it should be on there, along with instructions to call your doctor immediately.

I think some people get a rash from Truvada as well but I'm not sure of the frequency.  Your skin seems overly sensitive to all of this (obviously) so I greatly sympathize with your plight, but only your doctor is going to prove effective in zeroing in on which med in a combo is doing this, as well as the severity and whether or not to try and stick it out -- many times the rash will die down on its own, but other times its recommended to make a switch quickly.

ps: I've been on all of these meds at one time or another and I've not personally had a rash.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline notoutinilm

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 02:24:37 pm »
Thanks.  I have a regularly scheduled appointment in 8 days and am hoping the rash is gone by then.  I had a friend look at it (he is an ID doc) and he said to change meds when I go back.  I do not feel that changing meds 3 times in 4 months is wise, and if I have a problem with the next round, I may then be in real trouble... so just hoping this goes away.  I think nerves plays a bit here too, shame they doc can't write me a script for a two week all paid vacation to some warm island.....

Offline notoutinilm

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 10:36:52 pm »
Okay, hoping I can use this site as a bit of a sounding board here.  I have figured out the rash gets worse within an hour after I eat.  Then a few hours later starts to get better.  Has anyone on this combination Norvir, Truvada, Prezista found that there were certain types of food you needed to avoid for any reason. 

Really hoping I can solve this one before I go to the docs and wind up changing meds for the 3rd time in as many months.... (a bit scary if I have to keep changing as there are only so many options and I am going through them like candy!)

Offline Jeton

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 12:16:17 am »
i've been taking benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) 25 mg for 2+ years, n my rashes r gone n even my hives r rare. i started getting them in 2004 when i started Reyataz, Norvir and Epzicom...when i switched to Truvada, Isentress, Lexiva and Norvir in Feb 2008, the hives got worse n rashes occurred. i asked about benadryl, n my doc suggested it could work. in early April i switched out the Lexiva for Prezista, n have been on that combo ever since. my pill burden has grown, but my side fx r fewer as a result.

see if Benadryl generic could work for u. the first few days u'll be drowsy, but that goes away n stays away.

Offline notoutinilm

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 09:32:14 am »
i've been taking benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) 25 mg for 2+ years, n my rashes r gone n even my hives r rare. i started getting them in 2004 when i started Reyataz, Norvir and Epzicom...when i switched to Truvada, Isentress, Lexiva and Norvir in Feb 2008, the hives got worse n rashes occurred. i asked about benadryl, n my doc suggested it could work. in early April i switched out the Lexiva for Prezista, n have been on that combo ever since. my pill burden has grown, but my side fx r fewer as a result.

see if Benadryl generic could work for u. the first few days u'll be drowsy, but that goes away n stays away.

Thank you so much.  The doc had put me on an over the counter Anti-histamean.  I am thinking the Benadryl may work much better and will ask to start with 25 mg.  You may be a life saver.... thanks again!  This site is just great for help and resources.

Offline Jeton

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2010, 02:17:29 pm »
Thank you so much.  The doc had put me on an over the counter Anti-histamean.  I am thinking the Benadryl may work much better and will ask to start with 25 mg.  You may be a life saver.... thanks again!  This site is just great for help and resources.

hey, i'm glad to help! let us know how it all goes...

Offline Lobster1

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 05:33:26 pm »
Just started the same combo myself last week.  Just began the rash on chest, and inside of arms.  Light red spots.  Glad I got this page to read up.  Might try the Benadryl to see if it works.  Left message for doc today at 3.  Haven't heard back yet.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »
Just started the same combo myself last week.  Just began the rash on chest, and inside of arms.  Light red spots.  Glad I got this page to read up.  Might try the Benadryl to see if it works.  Left message for doc today at 3.  Haven't heard back yet.

I'm on Atripla which also has Truvada as a component and what you're experiencing sounds more in line with the rash I'm getting.  It's light red slightly itchy and in very specific places Upper Arms, Breastbone, and feet.  The rash was slightly worse but I've been taking 50mg of Benadryl before bed every night and it seems to be helping.  I should say that this rash has also resolved over time which may be a side effect of my body becoming acclimatized to the medicine or my immune system handling some other varmint.  My doctor also suggested I take a once daily Zyrtec in addition to the benadryl but I just haven't so far.

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:02:07 am »
Three years ago during a trip to India I experienced hives for the first time in my life. After I checked into the hotel I had a snack from the minibar and proceeded to put some finishing touches on a presentation I was to deliver the next day. The air conditioner was barely able to control the 105 degree temperature outside so I was sitting on the bed wearing only a pair of shorts. About two hours after the minibar snack I noticed some itchy red spots on my chest. The redness spread all day and night; the itching was unbearable; by morning my entire body was bright red and I felt literally on fire.

I had some diphenhydramine (Benadryl) which I began taking every six hours. It helped only a little. I did some research and came across a number of reports indicating that an antihistamine combination is effective for reducing large outbreaks -- combining an H1 blocker like diphenhydramine with an H2 blocker like ranitidine (Zantac) appears to have a synergistic effect. I found some at a drug store and started taking it twice a day. What an improvement! In two days I was splotch-free.

I never did figure out what caused the rash. It happened again three months later in Indonesia; I immediately started the combination therapy and was able to contain the rash to my chest. Other than these two times, I've never had rashes.

Note: this was before I got diagnosed with HIV in late 2007, so of course I didn't have to worry about drug interactions. H2 blockers (but not H1 blockers) interfere with the absorption of Reyataz. If you're on this drug and you want to try combination H1+H2 blocker therapy for rashes, be sure to time your dosing correctly as explained here.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.