Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:06:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 589
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 584
Total: 584

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Viral load keeps going up  (Read 5755 times)

Offline poz92116

Viral load keeps going up
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:29:30 am »
 so I was undetectable, but my most recent results came back with a viral load of 93. I take my pill every day, and I've never missed a dose, but I'm wondering how sensitive it is to what time you take the pill ?  I take triumeq. During the week I wake up at around six for work so I usually take my pill around 7 AM, but on the weekends I sleep in a lot so sometimes I don't take my pill till 10-11am...  Do you think that's a problem ? Could that be the cause of my viral load increase?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Viral load keeps going up
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 05:46:08 am »
Hi

As i mentioned before I think it's just a blip and it can happen.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=62313.0
Yeah sounds like it just a blip, this can happen and you have only been on the meds for a few months. As long as your taking you meds correctly and consistently don't worry about it too much, just keep on taking your meds. ;-)

As for the timing I take my meds within a 2 hours window each day, with the goal of course of taking my meds at the same time. Generally speaking for best effect, the meds need to be taken as instructed and ideally at the same time. Within a few hours range. This allows the drugs to remain at the correct levels in your system.

It's best if you don't miss any doses and of course the goal should be 100% adherence. If the morning routine is not working for you, you could consider changing the timing of your meds to a time that would be more convenient.

Jim 
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:06:50 am »
I had a blip my last labs , as Jim said it happens.
I took my meds at bed time for many years until a recent med change.
Well sometimes I went to be at 9 , some times midnight . It was never a problem.
Life happens.. we do the best we can.

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline poz92116

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 01:02:53 pm »
Most recent was 78, last one 6 months ago was 22, before that was undetectable, before that was 93... before that was undetectable.
Could this mean my Triumeq isn't doing a good enough job? My cd4 count was 766 6 months ago and is 785 now.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 01:20:03 pm »
What did your doctor say? Are you adherent?

Look it's only 2 tiny "blips" only just above clinical UD , so unless your doctor is concerned you should not be either at this stage. First few months on treatment blipping can happen, it can happen at any stage, can happen if you are sick like the flu ect, no reason to panic or worry.

Just keep doing what you can, take the meds daily and see what the next results are like. Its all about the trend not the snapshot result, if and that is a if the VL does increase they can check for resistance and switch your treatment if needed but don't worry or think that far ahead.

Relax

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 01:28:56 pm »
I merged your two threads on this FYI.

As for the total cd4 count it will always vary between tests, if I tested in the AM and again in the PM the results would be different. Means nothing as long as it's in normal/average range I would not worry about it at all, or know at least that worrying about pointless to a degree, as there is nothing you can do to change it.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 01:33:25 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline poz92116

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
I've been on Triumeq for 2 years and have never missed a pill.
I just worry because I've had more detectable than undetectable results in the 2 years I've been poz. I don't know why my Triumeq isn't keeping me below 50.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 01:37:14 pm »
You had a few blips, personally I would not be worried.

Have you talked to your doctor about the results? If so what did they think or say ?

If you really are concerned and the doc agrees you could test and switch treatment but that is really up to you and your doctor. It's not unheard of that some people blip for no reason and after switching have continued surpression. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 07:52:00 am »
I would really rely on my doc on this. Your increases aren't ideal, but it may not be resistance either. It could be interactions with food or other meds you're taking, that's why I say go to your doctor bc she or he would be more equipped to find a cause, if it's a concern.
Do you know what your resistance results were?

Offline poz92116

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Well I went to my doctor yesterday and she didn't seem to really care.
She basically accused me of being flakey about taking my meds, which is not true as I have never missed a pill in 2 years.
Sigh. Doesn't seem like anyone cares anymore about people.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 05:53:32 pm »
Hi

To be honest it does not sound like she does not care about you, simply that the blip is irrelevant, that said you were there I was not.

If it is really bothering and you can't get past this than perhaps you can see a different doctor, if anything it should at least give you some reassurance and peace of mind. Peace of mind is priceless. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline harleymc

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:28:41 pm »
I had a doctor who told me, without evidence, that I was being non-adherent.
I switched medical practices.

You don't need that from some one who is supposed to have your wellbeing as their professional practice. If you feel motivated I'd consider lodging a complaint to your local medical board.

Offline Mightysure

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 02:31:04 pm »
Her method may have been off, but I don't think she doesn't care about you. It's just not something that is alarming to her.
I know the message is "UD=Untransmittable" and the goal is to get to UD, but you have to keep in mind that we're all different, we metabolize drugs differently, and we have different variations of the virus. It may not be a big issue. The only reason why you're getting those number sis because the sensitivity of these tests has dramatically improved. The first generation tests had a cut off of 500, do you wouldn't have known anything then.

If it's causing anxiety, maybe suggest a change in meds? I'd suggest Genvoya, if that's available in your country. Only thing, you have to take it with food.

I honestly think your doctor isn't worried because it's not an alarming thing. Do you know what your resistance tests were? That will determine your treatment options.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.