Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:16:42 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 688
Total: 690

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: US - Health Status of People Living With HIV  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
US - Health Status of People Living With HIV
« on: August 31, 2023, 11:19:26 am »
An interesting read.

POZ.com article in full: https://www.poz.com/article/new-data-light-health-status-people-living-hiv

In Short:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently released new data from the 2021 cycle of the Medical Monitoring Project (MMP), an annual representative survey of adults with diagnosed HIV in the United States.

For the latest MMP survey, which covered June 2021 through May 2022, a total of 9,700 people from 16 states were selected, and 3,995 of them opted to participate.

MMP reports information critical for achieving national goals, including data used to monitor five National HIV/AIDS Strategy (NHAS) quality-of-life indicators:

• The percentage of people with HIV who reported good or better health—meaning they rated their health as good, very good or excellent as opposed to poor or fair—was 69% in 2021, down from 72% in 2018 (2025 NHAS goal: 95%).
  • The percentage who had an unmet need for mental health services was 28% in 2021, up from 24% in 2017 (2025 NHAS goal: 12%).
  • The percentage who reported unstable housing or homelessness fell to 17% in 2021, down from 21% in 2018 (2025 NHAS goal: 11%).
  • The percentage who reported being unemployed remained stable at 15% (2025 NHAS goal: 8%).
  • The percentage who reported hunger or food insecurity was 16% in 2021, down from 21% in 2017 (2025 NHAS goal: 11%).

While 38% of respondents had household incomes below the federal poverty level, almost everyone (99%) had some type of health insurance or coverage for care or medications, including 42% with private insurance, 43% with Medicaid, 29% with Medicare and 47% with coverage through the Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: US - Health Status of People Living With HIV
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 03:43:17 pm »
That’s interesting… I mean hiv or otherwise, most of us are feeling less healthy after the pandemic. So maybe the slight drop is just that.

I’m not surprised about mental health. It’s really sickening to see psychiatrist in private practice switch to not accepting insurance or even become cash-only practices. It’s greed at a level that I can’t quite understand. Even with great insurance, I’ve struggled for the past three months to find a permanent psychiatrist that will take my insurance (any Insurance?) even while working with a social worker. I’m even willing to pay up front and get reimbursement, to no avail.

The best therapy and psychiatry I ever had was through a non-profit that focused on lower income. It would no longer be available to me because of my earnings, but there’s very clearly a huge hole in providership above the low income thresholds. Thankfully our virtual gatherings have been therapeutic for me 🤣
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 04:24:16 pm »
That’s interesting… I mean hiv or otherwise, most of us are feeling less healthy after the pandemic. So maybe the slight drop is just that.

Yeah. I think I might be the exception that conforms to the rule. I loved not having to meet people face to face, no crowds, no traffic and nobody annoying me in the real world, empty pavements (Sidewalks), empty shops, people scared to get close, and no "social" visits; it was great.

I also got a lot of walking and swimming done during the pandemic.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 04:26:53 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 04:47:59 pm »
An interesting read.
Very interesting! With my background in math and computer science, it's no wonder I've always gravitated towards the data. Much of the volunteer work I did with the Ryan White Quality Committees was dealing with this kind of data at the local levels (county, TGA, state), looking for the issues, and determining interventions to raise the good numbers and lower the bad number.

I'm still reading through this report, but two things have blipped out to me so far.

1) the spilt in the distribution of sexual orientations of PLWH. 43% hetero- and 43% homo-sexual. I know we have a number of hetero-identifying members but I wonder if we'll see more heterosexual people posting here as time goes by?

2)ho, boy! Close to half of the people diagnosed with HIV are also co-infected with others STIs.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 04:58:45 pm »
Very interesting! With my background in math and computer science, it's no wonder I've always gravitated towards the data.

I didn’t know this about you! I just assumed you’ve always been a southern belle who hosted luncheons and such!

But back on topic, we did have a lengthy discussion about syphillis on our last virtual call. It’s just so dangerous to let that particular diagnosis linger without treatment.
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2023, 08:33:10 pm »
I just assumed you’ve always been a southern belle who hosted luncheons and such
my moniker isn't "lavender-man"; it's leatherman.  ;D ;D I've always been more of a "tie you up and spank you" kind of guy than a "mint juleps on the veranda" kind of guy. Although, since I've been a switch sometimes I was the the tied-up, spanked kind of guy too. 8)

back to the topic :)
For instance, an estimated 63% of sexually active MSM engaged in sex while having sustained viral suppression, 51% had condom-protected sex, 25% had condomless sex with a partner on preexposure prophylaxis (PrEP), and 53% had sex with a person with HIV
in the last 12 months, I have been in each of those categories except one. Because Larry's ARVs don't really count as PrEP. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.