Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:20:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 235
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Questioon from a former "educator"  (Read 4648 times)

Offline clarke

Questioon from a former "educator"
« on: July 11, 2006, 12:21:40 pm »
I didn't see anything about initial infection and transmission of the virus before detection in the "Lessons".

From what I was told by CDC educators who were teaching a few of us in TN., if one becomes infected today via sex/needle sharing, then the "newly infected" person can infect others within a very short period of time, and they are very infectious, even before detection.

Has this changed, or did I miss something?

Offline bobik

• My worksite
Re: Questioon from a former "educator"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »
I think this is still true!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 05:25:19 pm »
I have heard that newly infected individuals can be quite contagious because their viral load is so high.  I've heard that from a physician-friend of mine and at the local HIV/AIDS service organization, but I cannot cite to any publication or research article.

Steve
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 08:52:15 pm »
My question is if you have an undetectable load  i.e.. that of <50 how likely can you infect someone? From my understanding it is during the transitional period where the viral load is the highest that most people get infected?
Since you have so little of the virus how much can be passed on? Has there ever been a study, or a scientists just so busy jumping on the christian bandwagon they are concentrating too much on foreskin?
Just my thought
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 08:59:58 am »
Clarke,

I will point this thread out to Tim Horn (he wrote the lesson) and perhaps he will add his own comments.

It is true that a newly infected person can transmit their virus and blood, cervicovaginal fluids and semen can be very infectious in the first few months.

However, as most people don't know their status during primary infection, this is why condoms must be used unless you can be certain, through testing together, of your partner's status.

I suspect this recently infected/highly infectious information was left out of the lessons purely as an oversight. It might also be because the transmission lesson was written with people from the Am I Infected forum in mind and something like this would probably spook them more than inform them. If you see what I mean. I was one of the people who was consulted during the writing of the transmission lesson and I can tell you that although I am absolutely aware of this issue, it never occurred to me to suggest its inclusion in the lesson.

Johnny,

Even though a person's serum viral load is undetectable, it is no guarantee that their semen viral load is also undetectable. There have been studies that show detectable levels in semen of men who are undetectable on the serum viral load tests.

However, it is generally agreed that a person with an undetectable viral load has body fluids that are less infectious - but this does NOT mean UN-infectious. We still have to be cautious no matter what our viral load might be.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 11:44:39 am »
On "My question is if you have an undetectable load  i.e.. that of <50 how likely can you infect someone?" the answer is probably not likely at all if you are having man-on-woman sex with a regular partner.  This is confirmed by several long-term studies in Africa and Europe.

No equivalent study exists for man-on-man (anal) sex (can we have one please).

It is also wrong to conclude that this applies to casual partners (where immunological factors may be different).

I am reporting the science to date, which is extensive but incomplete. I am happy to post links to the studies. I understand this opens either a can of worms or an encouraging possibility in some people's minds, eg that treated HIV infection below a certain level (by blood viral load) may be uninfectious.  But, maybe, just maybe, this time the biology is in our favour, and we are not always the menace to the public and our partners' health that the courts and press make us out to be.

Me personally, undetectable or no, I would always use a condom with an HIV-negative partner.
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:12:58 pm »
I found this http://www.metrokc.gov/health/apu/infograms/viral-load-1002.htm. Seems as if there are still some dangers - but you would all have to agree that the dangers are lower.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline clarke

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 02:20:06 pm »
Has there ever been a study, or a scientists just so busy jumping on the christian bandwagon they are concentrating too much on foreskin?   

I'm not sure what is meant by the above remark, much less how one is supposed to interpret it.  ???

The bottom line for me (no pun intended  :D ) is the educational part of being newly infected and the potential of infecting others.  When I taught HIV/AIDS in TN. I told whomever I was teaching that the newly infected individual is "most" infectious between the time of initial infection and the time of detection.  Which to me, made total sense, as many flu viruses work the same way.

The word "undetectable" means little to us as we know that we have the virus, we still have the potential to infect each other or others with "meaner" strains of the virus.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.