Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 342
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Paxel Question  (Read 10919 times)

Offline egello

• cb
Paxel Question
« on: June 16, 2007, 12:07:58 am »
My partner is going on Paxel this week. He said that he has been extremely anxious past couple of weeks and his heart is racing all the time and can't relax or stay focused.

He is not HIV poz, but I am sure he has been dealing with lots of issues since my coming down with HIV poz and its related illnesses. I am all better now though.

I just don't understand all this, depression caused anxiety or anxiety caused depression. Is it real? How can it just suddenly appear out of nowhere and cause all this trouble that he had to go see someone and take medication? I mean if he goes out and do some exercise, couldn't he just make himself get tired and go to sleep and eventually find a natural mental balance? Why does he have to go on Paxel? I am not really understanding this and find it kind of worrisome. I have heard some rumors how those kind of brain affecting meds can eventually lead to worse depression and suicide. Is this one of those thing that he really doesn't  have any control over? Is he just not trying harder to relax and be at ease by eating better and exercising more?

I just don't get it...
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Paxel Question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37:35 am »
EG, has your partner seen a therapist or other such professional to talk about what's going on?

Going on to a med may be the indicated response in some situations, but whenever possible I always lean towards what I call "talking therapy," putting thoughts and feelings into words. It can take time for that to be be effective and often the discomfort to the patient and others in the patient's life is such that a quick result is what is wanted.

Even when a med is used, combining that with regular sessions talking things out increases the possibility that the medicating can eventually be reduced or terminated.

Andy Velez

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2007, 12:56:28 pm »
yes, he went to see a therapist who had prescribed him Paxels and Xenax and he says that he is already feeling back to normal.

I think he is going to start going to see someone although seeing how better he was yesterday and today, not sure if he will be going back...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2007, 04:26:37 pm »
It's good that he's had some relief. At the same time, it's all-too-common that when there is that sudden relief from symptoms, unfortunately there is no further work done to address the core cause(s) of the symptoms.

I hope things continue to go well, Eg.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 12:20:32 am »
Go on long walks with him, let him share his emotions.  Talking and walking is much better therapy than relying on pills.  I took Paxil for two years and it caused awful sexual side effects...now Xanax, that's a wonder drug in my opinion.  I take it before exams I'm really worried over to cure my anxiety.
Poz since 2003.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 09:14:58 pm »
Paxel is often prescribed for dealing with social anxiety. Depression from this type of anxiety is common.

While its effects are essentially subtle, by removing the anxiety one can feel, one can then do things that the anxiety was preventing.

Like most sero reuptake inhibitors, they are addictive, not in the opiate way where you crave or must have, rather, a mild dependence occurs that can be a rough few days if one every stops paxel.

----

Asking why is a loaded question. And often an unproductive one. Often people with depression or anxiety are just that way. Learning to accept that as a partner is a difficult thing to let go and not try to "fix" the problems. Some problems can't be "fixed". Unfortunately, bringing focus to these issues can have an undesirable affect of pointing out that there is something wrong, and it needs to be "fixed" or any number of feelings that don't help.

One of the hardest things to do in a relationship is to accept someone for who they are and give them the unconditional love one feels for them. Giving them space to deal with their own  issues and problems. Often the problem is really nothing to do with the partner. Thinking in terms of your partners issues in light of how you somehow may be the cause may in fact adding confusion to the issues of your partner. Sometimes a partner who is depressed or anxious is looking for a reason why they feel this way about things. A partner all to easily can provide a reason. When in fact this is a condition not a cause and effect.

Your partner is seeing someone and is having some success on treatment. That is a good thing. The question is, if your partner decides to stop treatment instead of increasing the dose as tolerance increases will the former anxiety and associated depression reoccur? There is some hope that therapy coupled with treatment could lead to a successful withdrawal from treatment. Their are many types of therapy that should be considered to deal with social anxiety issues. Perhaps the most promising of the bunch is cognitive therapy. By reconditioning the person to deal with social anxiety by defusing the emotions attached to situations that trigger the emotion, one may be able to transition from treatment/therapy to just therapy, then normal life.

To be supportive in this environment, you should be treatment positive, don't try to "fix" the problem - Trust me, you can't fix someones anxiety by just talking about it, no matter how well intentioned you are -  and don't look under rocks for reasons - Sometimes there really aren't any, or any that can be repaired by talking, rehashing, blaming, crying, or any number of things. Understanding what the stimulus is and working through those cause and effect agents and defusing them in a safe cognitive therapy environment may be the best path for dealing with these types of issues.

The reason I know a bit about this is my partner has severe social anxiety issues. I've had to grow up considerably to understand what this is all about, and to understand that i can't fix the problem.

risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 01:32:00 am »
wow, thank you very much for your insightful response.

i just don't get it,, never even been around something like this nor experienced something like this.

it has been 4 days since he went on Paxil and Xanax. Although I see some signs of improvement, he feels like a different person. Not the sharp confident cute person I met four years ago. He looks like a mold made out of gelatin almost. He acts basically drugged and out of it. I feel like crying... This is worse than me being hiv poz.

This is tripping me out, AIDS this past winter and now his metal illness which i keep thinking he is lying or make it all up. It all the sudden appeared.

Last night, he kept hiding alcohol from me to keep on drinking until he got drowsy and fell asleep. WTF,, he was never that bad.

Well, he is going to see a therapist so i hope that helps.

what do i do? what do i do? what do i do??????? is this depression or what?

he said that all this happened when he got a call from a lawyer of his car insurance company regarding a case where he drove drunk last year and hit someone's car. that guy is suing the insurance company for further damage. since then he said that his heart started pounding like crazy and just wouldn't let him rest. he also couldn't get calm enough to sit down and eat, further making him unstable, tired and result to drinking more.

harm...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 08:09:49 am »
Eg, I'm glad he's seeing a therapist. That's a good place for him to be getting help with whatever is going on inside of him. You can lend him support but you aren't his therapist. Sometimes it's easy to forget that when you want to "fix things." While it may appear these behavioral changes in your bf are all related to one thing, what commonly turns out is that other unresolved issues have been cooking for a while. If I'm right about that, hopefully he and his therapist can work effectively dealing with same. 

What I am thinking about now is you, EG. Dealing with this kind of situation requires a lot of stamina and patience. Can you get some professional help for yourself to lend  you support and guidance in dealing with this situation? All the love in the world for your partner doesn't transform you into a magician or a mindreader, although those are some of the qualities we wish for in times like this.

So I just want to remind you to take good care of yourself and make certain that whether it's professionally or through friends or other (like here) that you are getting the support you need.
The very best thing you can do for all concerned is to take good care of yourself. Really.

Cheers, 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 10:09:22 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline RevMC

• It's me!
    • Psychic AwakeningSchool.com
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 08:24:09 pm »
As a person who was on Paxil, I always try to tell others to try something different first if medication is necessary.

DO NOT GET ME WRONG!!  Not everyone has the problems that I had while taking it.  I felt GREAT at first, so much so that friends started calling me PaxBoy because I was like a totally different person.  After about 6 months though I had NO sex drive what so ever.  Then when my mom died I had NO emotions at all.  I couldn't even mourn her death.

He CAN NOT just stop taking paxil either.  He has to be weened off of it, and even then he may have some side effects from coming off of it.  The worse side effect I had from coming off the Paxil, even with weaning off, which took 3 weeks to do, was that I got dizzy and fell a few times.  I didn't even realize that I was dizzy or falling down, I was just down.

I'm glad he's seeing a therapist but he should try something different medication wise.  Especially if he's taking Pasil and Xanax, WOW, double whammy.

There are a lot of reasons people get depressed, stress can be a main factor.  From what I've read in some of your posts, maybe you should go to a therapy session yourself.  It may help you to understand what he's going through and help you handle what's going on in your life.
Part of my story: "Sale Of A Lifetime" POZ December 2003
https://www.poz.com/article/Sale-of-a-Lifetime-752-6797

Started on Truvada and Viramune on 2/15/07

Jan 8, 2007   t-cells 215  Viral Load 10,000  24%
March 26'th  T-cells 306   Viral Load  UNDETECTABLE
June 2007 t-cells 375 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE
August 2007 t-cells 290 Viral Load UNDETECTABLE

Love and Light and Reiki sent your way,
Rev. Michae

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.