Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:06:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 305
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mini update  (Read 129992 times)

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
Re: Mini update
« Reply #250 on: July 21, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »
Got an email from Dr. F and here are Mim's latest labs:

July 2009 (fasting)           May 2009 (non-fasting)

Cholesterol: 202                   172
LDL: 115                              62
HDL: 48                                34
Tris: 197                              378
CD4: 1061                           1205
VL: Undectable                     u/d

Her lipids are still too high, but not much we can do about them - they looked better in May when she had her blood work done after a nice Bob Evan's breakfast!

Mum

edited to add May's labs for comparison
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 04:14:56 pm by minismom »
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #251 on: July 21, 2009, 06:17:13 pm »
Wow, that's a huge difference in her triglycerides.  Great!!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline minismom

« Reply #252 on: July 29, 2009, 02:31:05 pm »
Seems we're finally turning a corner with the weight issue.  This is the first week she had constant gains across the board.  Previously, she'd lose a bunch, gain a bit, lose more, stay steady, with a negative gain for the week.  This week (from last Wednesday to today), she's gained a couple of ounces everyday - ending the week with a total of 1 pound GAINED!!  Let's keep our fingers crossed that she can keep it up.

She's been eating 6x /day, we switched her vitamens to an organic (food based) brand so her body could absorb them, and added extra (organic) B-12 as a natural appetite stimulant.  As Dr. F says, we're not going to need to address childhood obesity with her any time soon ;)

He also accused her of guilting him into letting her eat bacon in Boston.  Believe me, she had help with that one from *someone* here (hint: it wasn't me!)

Here's to another week of gains.

Mum
www.watoto.com
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline Longislander

« Reply #253 on: July 29, 2009, 04:08:07 pm »
mmmm BACON!!

Good to hear, mum. Keep up the good work!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Basquo

« Reply #254 on: July 29, 2009, 07:44:30 pm »
mmmm BACON!!

Bacon + Lobster = GOOD EATIN' IN BOSTON!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #255 on: July 30, 2009, 09:36:18 am »
That's great to hear that Mini's starting to gain some weight. I've got about 15 extra pounds she could have - if only! ;D

Hope she enjoys the bacon. I love bacon and it's probably part of the cause of my extra poundage!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline minismom

« Reply #256 on: July 30, 2009, 03:13:31 pm »
Ann, no kidding.  I've offered to be a fat-transplant donor ;) 

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #257 on: July 30, 2009, 06:48:47 pm »
Mum, that's wonderful news about Mim's weight gain!  Give her a hug from me (and Poppy).
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #258 on: July 30, 2009, 07:06:02 pm »
Mum~  Great news about Min!!!!   :D  I am happy to hear that the weight is going in the right direction!

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #259 on: August 02, 2009, 04:17:22 am »
Here's to many more pounds!!! 

Everything's better with bacon ... well except maybe the lipids  :D

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2009, 08:04:14 am »
So how did the doctor explain what has been going on?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline minismom

« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2009, 03:03:27 pm »
David, she's increased her overall calorie intake, eats 6 times a day, drinks a protein shake everyday, switched to soy milk, and is now taking organic food-based vitamens. We've also increased the amount of water she drinks to avoid dehydration. He was assuming, as were we, that these changes were helping.  Not a "cure" but a good start until more testing is done.

However (and that's a really big however), when she was weighed this morning, she's lost a pound since Friday.  Basically, everything she had been gaining, she lost. We'll know more when she has her testing done the end of August. Until then, onward and upward.

On a good note, her energy level is normal and her spirits are high. 

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #262 on: August 02, 2009, 08:35:49 pm »
You must be going crazy.  I hope he comes up with some answers to what's causing this and more importantly some solutions.

Hugs,
AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline minismom

« Reply #263 on: August 13, 2009, 10:41:34 am »
Just a quick note.  We had a wonderful time in Boston at AMG.  There was quite a bit of walking which wore her out pretty quickly.  Her appetite wasn't up to par, but she ate when she had to (aka when we sat her down and told her she wasn't moving until she ate).  She loved being with her guys and misses them greatly.

Her weight continues to fluxuate.  She'll have a good upward trend for a few days, then lose it all overnight and we start over again.  Her energy is waning, but I'm hoping that's just her body recuperating from the trip.  Thursday we're back to see her doctor for lab work, lymph node check, and answers.

In 17 days she'll be 9 - so will her virus.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #264 on: August 17, 2009, 12:21:46 pm »
What a jewel she is! And the Lullaby she sang brought me to tears!

I look forward to hearing about the upcoming Docs visit.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline minismom

« Reply #265 on: August 20, 2009, 09:49:13 pm »
According to Doc's new scale, Miss Mim has gained 5 pounds!!!!  According to our scale, it's closer to 1 pound.  But, hey, as much as she yo-yo'd, she still came out ahead.  We'll continue to weigh her every other day and email the results back to Doc weekly.

She does have an "official" diagnosis of wasting.  Today she was tested for an entire host of things via blood and urine.  We have slips for stool testing that we'll do here at home (she didn't have to "go" while we were in Ohio).  No new meds were started.  Doc explained that he doesn't want to mask symptoms, he wants to treat the issues.  So nothing will be added until we get back all the test results.

In the meantime our newHIV nutritionist said to add powdered egg whites to her food.  They are pasturized (don't need cooked), tasteless (can add to anything), long shelf life (on average, 12 months), and they are pure protien without adding fat or cholesterol.

No HIV labs were done.  She'll have those done the end of October.

Mum

PS. she wanted me to tell you that her birthday is in 10 days ;)
www.watoto.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #266 on: August 21, 2009, 12:12:01 am »

sounds to me like the Dr's got a good set of scales ~~

robert

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #267 on: August 21, 2009, 10:36:14 am »
Good job to you and Mini for the weight gain!

Happy soon-to-be in 10 days Birthday ;D
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline minismom

« Reply #268 on: August 21, 2009, 01:37:28 pm »
Finally found the powdered egg whites at a whole food store.  The nutritionist made it sound like it would be a piece of cake to find.  Maybe in Ohio, but not in WV.  Anyway, the lady said she'd have to order it because it was expensive.  The cheapest and smallest she could find is $53.99 for a 5lb bag. :o  I told her to order it - Mim needs it and nobody else has it.  It'll be in on Tuesday which means I'll have to haul all the kids back out of town to pick it up.  I feel like we should sell the house and live in an RV - we're on the road more lately than we are at home.

All of you have an amazing weekend!

Mum

edited to add: LOL, Robert.  Doc's scale is great for her, but since it measures 4lbs heavier than our's, I'll stick to the one in our bathroom for me :)
www.watoto.com

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #269 on: August 21, 2009, 01:43:47 pm »
If you search for "powdered egg whites" on Google there seem to be some good options.

I guess you already ordered that one but you might want to check online for next time.

Although 5lbs. is ALOT, it should keep her in egg whites for a while, lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 01:45:24 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline minismom

« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2009, 08:16:09 am »
The lab called yesterday to let us know that the D-xylose test ordered is a bit more involved than just a  stool sample.  Starting this morning, she's not allowed to have any fruit, jam, jellies, or pastries.  They contain a sugar (pentalose?) that messes with the test.  Then, after supper, she's NPO (fasting). 

We arrive at the lab at 7am tomorrow morning and she'll have a blood draw.  Then, she'll have to drink some formula. 2hrs later, she has another blood draw. We have to stay there for 5hrs while they collect her urine for that time.  The hard part is that she's not allowed to eat or drink anything other than water from dinner tonight until the test is over - about 18hrs.  She won't have an IV or anything and I'm sure she'll be more than hungry (and sick?) by the time she's able to eat.  I NEVER eat when she's fasting, so it'll be a very long 5hrs for both of us.

According to the lab lady, this is a very rare test and it will have to be sent out of state.  It could take a month to get all the results.  It was funny that she told me to bring something to comfort Mim after her blood draws and that she would have a couple of people to help "hold" her during the stick.  I laughed - Mim LOVES having blood work done.  Try holding her down and she's gonna get pissed, though. 

Let you know how it goes.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Robert

« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:05 pm »
It sounds like an ungodly 30 hours.  It's going to be a very long day, that's for sure and for sure ol' mini's going to lose a pound or two.  

You don't want to go through this again so make sure they do it right the first time.  Question, question, question and then ask them one more time and make sure they double-check themselves.  Make it clear to them you're not coming back to do it again.

good luck mini and mom

robert
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:02:17 pm by Robert »

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:46 pm »
I was curious about this test so I looked it up online. One site says:

Do not eat or drink anything (even water) for 8 to 12 hours before the test. Do not exercise before the test. A failure to restrict activity may affect test results.

Your health care provider may tell you to stop taking certain drugs that can affect test results. Drugs that can affect test results include aspirin, atropine, indomethacin, isocarboxazid, and phenelzine. Never stop taking any medicine without first talking to your doctor.

So I guess she can't have much in the way of activity either? I guess they must mean right before the test, not necessarily the day before?

Also, this is one test where it's good news if the result is "positive."

Normal values depend on the amount of D-xylose administered. Usually the test is registered as either positive or negative. Positive indicates that D-xylose is found in the blood or urine and is therefore being absorbed by the intestines.

I wish you both the very best, make sure to report back!

LINK:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/MEDLINEPLUS/ency/article/003606.htm
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:15:38 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline minismom

« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2009, 12:49:27 pm »
The lab lady didn't say anything about not exercising.  But, for the test, I'll have to wake her up to get ready, so she'll be taking the test after a good 9 1/2 + hours of sleep.  We were told she can't eat or drink for 12 hours before - which makes it 7pm tonight, or just after dinner.  By the time she can eat again, it will have been 17+ hours since she'd eaten last - WAY too long if you ask me.  The only med she can't have before is aspirin which she doesn't take anyway.  Her HIV meds won't compromise the test.

During the test, they encourage her to drink tons of water - so she'll pee a lot, but she still can't eat.  I get VERY grumpy when my sugar drops.  I think I'll be making "trips" to the bathroom to eat a breakfast bar  ::)

Robert, I've checked and double checked and called the doctor to confirm (and check the link from Inchling).  All is well and good with the procedure.  I'll bring the laptop and some games that she can play along with some DVD's for her watch.  And, of course, I'll bring her school work.  It would just be nice if after the 2hr blood test, we could go walk around, go to the park or the mall, or something.  I promised the lady I'd bring back all her pee :o.  But, they said that we have to stay there.  So, we stay.

It will certainly be intresting.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2009, 05:29:34 pm »
Well, d-xylose, this is a mother of intestinal absorption tests, and bugger me if anyone really knows what to do if it's negative, or in mini's case, if it's positive, because that will just mean more tests.

Children with HIv from birth have screwed guts, grow different and all sorts of other things, but time, yes...I know a few* who have grown up to be strapping, smart and articulate people.

I hope this sorts things out, or is at least the beginning of a sort, I really do.

- matt 

* cos I only know a few
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline minismom

« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »
Matt, I know, I know, and I know.  But if there is ANYTHING under this sun or above it that we can do to give her even a fraction of a chance of growing, maturing, and *being* better, we owe it to her to try and find it. Even if it only brings up more questions, or makes medical-types think a different way, or brings the issue to light to the betterment of those who come behind her, then it was still worth it.

Not sure about being "strappy", but she's the most beautiful jr. pozzie I know. ;D

So many "experts" know so little when it comes to the tiniest of pozzies.  It's time they learn more.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Jody

« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »
I'll be thinking of mini and mum and your family...Hope the tests go well.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »
Mini,

Thom and I love you.  Hoping that your tests all come out fine.

Mum and Hubby, hug her for us please!

Love you all, Ric & Thom

Offline minismom

« Reply #278 on: September 02, 2009, 03:27:06 pm »
WHEW! We made it.  It was the longest 5hrs of my life.  Mim did SO well with everything.  She never complained about being hungry, she drank the stuff she was supposed to, no problems with the bloodwork (twice), and drank her 8oz of water every 30 minutes.

About 3 hours into the test, she got sick and threw up :-\.  I was worried it would invalidate the test.  The tech said that it won't because she'd already had all her bloodwork and all they needed now was her urine.  I think that the bloodwork coupled with the HUGE amounts of water she had to drink, plus her HIV meds, and the "stuff" she had to drink for the test - all on an empty belly just got to her.  She laid in my lap for a while, then acted as if it never happened.  As we were leaving, she said, "That had to be as bad as being in jail.  I don't think I ever want to be in jail." (don't THINK you ever want to be in jail ???)

It'll take a while to get the results, so we're back in a holding pattern.  Thanks for all the encouraging words and positive thoughts.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #279 on: September 02, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
LOL, she is such a trooper and she is funny to boot.  I am glad everything went well today.

Snow

Offline #1 mom

« Reply #280 on: September 03, 2009, 12:08:18 am »
I'm glad you both made it through. She remains in my prayers.
Amy

Offline next2u

« Reply #281 on: September 03, 2009, 01:03:25 am »
that's one awesome lil warrior you have. here's a big cyberhug to lil m ....

midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline minismom

« Reply #282 on: September 03, 2009, 07:53:21 pm »
Kids and I came home from the grocery store this afternoon to a message reminding that Mim had an appointment on Tuesday.  That's all good and well except I never made an appointment for her.  So, I called hoping it was all a mistake.  The lady said that it was with the cardiologist.  Okay....I asked who made the appointment because I knew nothing about it.  It was our EX-PID!!  I started laughing.  This idiot fell off the face of the earth a year ago, never looking back, never calling.  Then she shows up out of the blue NOT making an appointment for us to see HER but ANOTHER doctor??  What the heck is that about?

I told the lady that DrM isn't my child's doctor so any appointment she's made for my child, now or in the future, should be disregarded.  I also asked the lady to attatch a note to Mim's file stating that she no longer sees ANY doctor associated with that hospital. 

Gotta love the hubris.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Jody

« Reply #283 on: September 03, 2009, 10:50:57 pm »
Dear Mum and Mini...Glad the tough day is over and all went well...The confusion with the doctor was weird, just showing up out of the blue like that.  It's good you documented your non-association with this doctor in case a bill for services not rendered is sent out.

Be well folks.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline minismom

« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2009, 07:26:35 am »
I got an email from our ever-loving Dr.F, who, by the way, looks a lot like next2's avatar picture.  Secret identity maybe?  Alter ego? ;) 

Anyway, he said that so far all of her extra testing has come back negative (a good thing) and that he's attributing it to "chronic disease progression", which he says is a  good thing - she doesn't need to battle something else.  I see his point, but don't find it very comforting.  We're still waiting on the D-Xylose test.

On a happier note, school is going good.  Her issues are her issues and we're trying our best to work with them since we can't seem to move beyond them.  She's learning to read and write poetry.  Of course Science and History are still her favorites.  Tomorrow is our first day of co-op where she'll take a home ec course, an art class, and learn sign language (taught by me).  Monday finds us back at dance class. 

So, "chronic disease progression", whatever. It's just Mim's progression despite a chronic disease.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #285 on: September 10, 2009, 04:06:05 pm »
so..

1. When is the trip to the White House?
2. Have you started saving for the Prom dress yet?
3. Thanksgiving's coming and that must equate to a few pounds ++

So, "chronic disease progression", whatever. It's just Mim's progression despite a chronic disease.

Yer, I like that, this is so true

God bless

- matt

"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline minismom

« Reply #286 on: September 11, 2009, 07:19:47 pm »
1. White House trip is summer 2010.  Actually, we're going to the beach for 3 days and DC for 4.
2. Not saving for the prom dress, yet.  But we are working on the questionaire and background check information for whomever wants to take her out.
3. Um...about Thanksgiving.  She hates turkey (I think she's jaded since eveything she eats is made out of turkey: ham, ground meat, bacon...)  But she does tend to linger near the dessert table (where everything is made with Splenda.  Shhhhh!)

Matt, my sweet darling, can your avatar get more handsome?  You are one humdinger of a  beautiful man :-*

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #287 on: September 16, 2009, 05:52:01 am »
Got the results of the D-Xylose testing - and it was negative (or positive, whichever way you want to look at it - there's no problem).  So, again, it's all chalked up to disease progression - 9yrs in and 9yrs old.  Her weight dipped a bit about a week ago, but has held steady from there. 

Back to the ENT today for a follow-up.  Not quite sure what he's going to do since her issue is neurologic. 

I did want to tell you that she has decided to enter a pageant on October 2nd for our town's Apple Butter Festival.  I HATE the idea of beauty pageants - you have no idea how much - but to her it's more of a talent show, which is fine with me.  She filled out a questionaire that will be used for her "interview", then the talent, then the winners are announced.  Queen gets to ride on the back of a convertable during the parade on Saturday.  She's not a fru-fru dresser and asked if she can wear jeans.  I laughed and showed her the dress she'll be wearing - she wasn't impressed :P

Our youngest son wanted to compete in his age group, so we thought why not.  He'll also have an interview, talent section (he'll sing while my dad plays the guitar), then they play musical chairs to show good sportsmanship. 

That's all from this side of the Mason Dixon.  Make it a great Wednesday!

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #288 on: September 19, 2009, 12:45:27 am »
I haven't been keeping up on Mini lately with all the things going on around here but they are settling down and now I see how much has been going on ... lots of tests & a missed Birthday!

Hopefully, the powdered eggs will do the trick & help her gain some weight.

Good luck to Mini & your young son in the Apple Butter Festival competition!

Hugs,
AA

Offline minismom

« Reply #289 on: September 22, 2009, 06:36:54 am »
Andy, hun, you have had so much on your plate, hun, I'm suprised you still know your name. You just take care of yourself and your hunny.  We're not going anywhere.

Mim's vision is failing again.  Several times during the day, it just goes out.  She said sometimes everything gets really blurry and other times things are just "gone".  I asked her if the world turns black and she said, "only in spots".  I emailed DocF to let him know.  He's going to contact Cleveland Clinic and see if they have a peds neurologist who specializes in neuro-occular events.  LOL.."events" - at least it's better than "chronic disease progression".  Seems the past 17mths have been one giant event.

On the flip side, her ENT gave her an A+ during her visit.  The lymph nodes in her neck have gone back down, her ears look good, the candida on her gums is gone, and she still can't track worth a flip.  We go back in January (weather permitting).

New dog will be coming home on Saturday.  Can't wait!

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #290 on: September 22, 2009, 12:06:57 pm »
Mum, great news from the ENT!  Yay on that.

So, does Mim have "floaters" in her eyes?  Just wondering; not that I'm a doctor or anything.  I hope this can get sorted out.  Please give her a hug from me and Poppy.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #291 on: September 22, 2009, 03:12:27 pm »
Just wanted to let you know that I am thinking about you and sweet Mim...  hope the eyes thing gets some  good attention..... give her a hug for me.

Nick

BTW  say hello to Oscar and tell him I really appreciate how he seems to just roll along with all this turmoil
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline #1 mom

« Reply #292 on: September 22, 2009, 06:43:45 pm »
Mum - I'm sorry to hear mim is having vision problems again. I hope Doc F has a referral for you. If he doesn't Dr. Joel Weinstein is a pediatric neuro opthamologist at Hershey. We have not seen him, but that is who Lucas' neurologist said we should see if his opthamologist and vision therapist can't agree on the best course of treatment. I can get you the number and address if you want.
Amy
Amy

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #293 on: September 22, 2009, 07:45:27 pm »

Mim's vision is failing again.  Several times during the day, it just goes out.  She said sometimes everything gets really blurry and other times things are just "gone".  I asked her if the world turns black and she said, "only in spots".  I emailed DocF to let him know.  He's going to contact Cleveland Clinic and see if they have a peds neurologist who specializes in neuro-occular events.  LOL.."events" - at least it's better than "chronic disease progression".  Seems the past 17mths have been one giant event.

Mum

Sounds so very similar to what I've had, most of my adult life.. I get these Ocular migranes ( without the headache), where I can have flashes and loss of central vision for a few minutes at a time.

http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/ocular-migraine.htm

A neuro ophthalmologist, will look at the optic nerve and the brain.

Wishing Mim the best.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Longislander

« Reply #294 on: September 23, 2009, 01:59:37 am »
Mum,

Just wanted to stop in to let you know I'm reading, and hoping for some good info on the vision problems, soon~

Glad to hear she passed the ENT, tho.

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline minismom

« Reply #295 on: September 23, 2009, 06:54:58 am »
Amy, PM me his name and number - thanks!  Our last neuro-occular doc was a bust and a sham, so I'm doing much more research before making another doctor day trip.  I'm just worried that the answer will be, again, "It's just something she'll have to learn to live with."  How many more "things" is she supposed to learn to live with before she decides she's tired of "learning"? 

Paul, Nick, and Betty (Poppy, too), thank you for your thoughts and encouragement.  I know that this, too, will pass.  I just wish it would pass a little quicker and stop coming back for a visit.

I've been reading Mim's medical records, piecing things together and comparing them to my (many) notebooks.  It's very interesting what doctors / nurses will write in their notes when they think the person they're writing about (or her parents) will never read them. 
www.watoto.com

Offline minismom

« Reply #296 on: September 30, 2009, 06:59:42 am »
Tomorrow is the BIG day!  Mim's pageant starts at 4 and youngest son's at 5.  Originally Hubby was going to have to miss them due to a test.  But, he spoke to his professor yesterday who postponed the test until next Tuesday!  So, Hubby'll go to morning class, race home, watch the kids, then race back to school for his night class. 

At rehersal Monday, the lady showed the girls their "stage walk".  Mim and I practiced last night: right hand on hip, left arm swings, walk, and sway and sway and stop.  Both hands on hips, cock that hip and SMILE.  Drop the right hand and step and pivot S  L  O  W  L  Y - head to audience as long as possible.  Step and pivot S  L  O  W  L  Y.  Stop, pretty feet - both hands on hip - cock that hip.  Drop the right hand, pivot and swing that arm, sway that hip, and walk and walk right off the stage. 

That's the way it was supposed to look.  It ended up more like: hand on hip, and walk and trip and walk and don't smile like you have to poop, and walk and don't forget to stop.  And step and pivot and ooops! and fall and stand back up and laugh and get stuck and laugh and there goes the stockings and drool and walk and hit the wall.  PHILLY!!!  WE NEED YOU!!!  NOW!!!!

Her vision is still going out.  It got so bad yesterday, that she had to stop her school work and just close her eyes for about 15 minutes.  It's giving her terrible headaches.  Unfortunatley, the answer seems to be "she'll just have to learn to adapt."  My answer is, "it sucks, and we're getting another opinion."  Fine line trying to decide when enough is enough and when resolving oneself to the fact isn't giving up.

Mum
www.watoto.com

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #297 on: September 30, 2009, 09:18:27 am »
Have fun at the pageant.  I am sure they will both do great and look adorable.

Sorry to hear about Mims' vision and headaches.

Please tell her I said HI and to work it on the runway! ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #298 on: September 30, 2009, 12:45:39 pm »
Oh I'm so EXCITED for Mim! She will do great! Tell her I'm wishing her well!~

-Will

PS- This is how I walk to the coffe pot every morning...
right hand on hip, left arm swings, walk, and sway and sway and stop.  Both hands on hips, cock that hip and SMILE.  Drop the right hand and step and pivot S  L  O  W  L  Y - head to audience as long as possible.  Step and pivot S  L  O  W  L  Y.  Stop, pretty feet - both hands on hip - cock that hip.  Drop the right hand, pivot and swing that arm, sway that hip, and walk and walk right off
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline #1 mom

« Reply #299 on: September 30, 2009, 06:37:39 pm »
I'm sorry mini is still having such problems. Did you google the neuro ophthalmologist or hear anything from your doctor about a referral?
I hope she enjoys her pageant. Tell her to break a leg   ;).
Amy
Amy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.