Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:42:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 327
Total: 327

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Insurance with HIV?  (Read 3303 times)

Offline CobaltKid

Insurance with HIV?
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:43:36 pm »
Hey guys,

I am about to loose my insurance soon if I don't get on a program to cover my payments.  Out of work and money is running out.  Doctor said to let it go and apply to Aids Healthcare Foundation.  I have not done an intake with them yet.  However, after speaking with them, I found out that if I give up my insurance and go with them compleatly, they will cover most HIV related things but should I get into a car accident, I will shipped to the county hospital which I hear is the worst. 

So a firend told me to change to a really high decuctable, for major things like an accident, keep paying on it and tell AHF that I lost my insurance compleatly and have them cover the HIV stuff.  The problem is, I am afraid that they would find out once I give social and such.  Everyone tells me never give up the pravate insurance except my doctor.  He seems to think its easy to find a new job with great coverage.  Most jobs in my experience seem to be very weak or not offer anything at all.

I dont know what to do.  Anyone have experience with AHF here?  What if I give up my insurance and I find out they sucks, then its too late.

Offline tinydaniell

Re: Insurance with HIV?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 01:49:14 am »
well there is a program with ryan white program that you should quilify for takes about 45 days to cover your cobra payment so go to your aso and get the process started

Offline CobaltKid

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:48:20 am »
would AHF know if I kept my insurnace?

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 10:08:29 am »
1.  Is AIDS Healthcare Foundation funded by Ryan White funding?
2.  What state do you live in?
3.  Under the Ryan White guidelines, insurance co-payments can be paid.
4.  Would you actually ask for RW care, and not tell them about your insurance coverage?
5.  Many of us have nothing to cover us in the event of an accident except our car insurance.
6.  You haven't given us near enough information to give you a reasonable or concrete answer.

Please think about opening up a bit and explaining yourself.

Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline CobaltKid

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 10:45:28 am »
1. AHF is funded by Ryan White
2. Live in CA
3. for how long?
4. This is what I am asking, I dont know what they have?
5. Is this a statement?  Whats the question?
6. what else do you need?

Guess what I am saying if I tell them I have insurence, they will bill me the same way as if I stay with my current doctor which I can't afford.  If I give up the insurnace completly, they will probably cover HIV but not other things like heart, liver, cancer or non HIV specific stuff.  They said in that case I would be shipped to the county hospital even if one that could save my life was closer.

If I can change my insurnace to a really high decuctable and keep a low premium at least I could hold onto it in that event and get the normal stuff taken care of.  But I think this place wants you to have no insurance.  And I dont know if they would be able to check this out.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:01:33 am »
Thank you Cobalt,

It is first off, important to first sign up with AHF, and get your intake done now.  Secondly, many states are not paying insurance premiums, but some are.  In know Arizona is, but don't know about California where many things are different.  The government assumes that it is easier to pay our premiums than to pay for all your medical care. 

Most ASOs have a certain poverty level that you must be under to be able to collect any help from them, and that is currently $30,000 for singles in most states.

I think if you are capable of working, and are considered between jobs, that you might not get help, but that would depend on whether or not you are on HIV meds, your lab numbers, your infection date, and generally your medical history.

If you are worried about where you are going to get emergency medical help in the future, then you probably should get a really good job and get stellar insurance; otherwise you are in the same boat that many of us are and you should just pick up a paddle and start rowing against the current. 

You really do need to talk to AHF and find out what your options are.  Otherwise, get back to work and get your money flow started again. 

Love,

The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.