Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:12:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 373
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 346
Total: 346

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dealing With Rejection  (Read 9995 times)

Offline WhereIsTheArk

Dealing With Rejection
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:25:38 pm »
What kind of rejection, ridicule, or just plain ignorance have you dealt with from others due to your HIV status? How did you cope with it?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Dealing With Rejection
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:41:55 pm »
None.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 05:42:02 pm »
Hmmmmmm..... :-\

Only once for me. It was with a guy a friend had been wanting to introduce me to for awhile. The introduction happened about a month after I was Dx and we hit it off right away. I was still reeling from the Dx and trying to get my head around it. There was a lot of chemistry between us and we were hanging out quite a bit and he was making "passes" but I was just deflecting them as best I could. Finally, one day at the mall, it kind of came to a head and I figured "I need to tell this guy or he's gonna think I'm stuck up or not interested". So over lunch, I just said exactly that, something along the lines of "Look, I don't want you to think I'm not interested cuz I am it's just that I just found out I'm poz". He was pretty cool with it and gave me this "Wow! I totally respect your honesty, yada yada, yada". I remember thinking at that point that "this was gonna be a breeze". Plus, he was a Dr so I figured he'd "get it".

Then, he started asking me a lot of questions and I did my best to answer them. By then, I felt pretty educated about the risks and the value of protection (plus, I was really into him and so I'm sure I overemphasized things could work out).  Fast forward about 3 weeks and the daily multitude of calls slowing dwindled down to none. I don't remember the last time I spoke to him.  :P

Offline Hoover

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:05:29 pm »
Sorry to hear that story Zorro!
Some day your true prince will come.
You and your three cats are a good catch for a smart man.

Thus far we have not experienced any rejection, but we are tending to stay with poz folks.

Hoover & Dr. T.
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:08:11 pm »
Ignorance, everyday, oh wait thought you were referring to in general..... :)  In discussions I have had with people I would call it more uninformed or misinformed as opposed to ignorance, which presents an excellent opportunity to correct the thinking.  
Ridicule - none, very lucky i guess
Rejection - oh honey I was rejected just as much pre-hiv as post hiv.  But seriously, all of my family and friends have just been super.  The only I guy I really have dated and was interested in since being diagnosed was fine when I told him and while I was sucking him off.  After that I never heard from him and I don't think it was due to my oral talents.  The most rejection I have is just looking for the casual sexual encounter.  I just take it for what it is and move on.  Most of the time they aren't rejecting me for who I am, but the HIV.  It used to really bother me, but I just think his loss or I realize that what is a meaningless fuck in the big scheme of things.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline gemini20

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:12:16 pm »
The most significant rejection I have faced in all my years with HIV (19 and counting) has been from my own mother. She initially rejected me when I first disclosed to her through her own ignorance and fears (she was afraid I might infect my sisters if I visited our family home); a year or so later I was allowed back to visit though she never hugged or kissed me again.

In 2000, I was approached by the BBC to ask if I would feature in a documentary about HIV positive women. When I ran the idea passed my mother her response was to say ‘Why on earth would you go television and embarrass the family?’; after a few more choice words her parting comment to me was ‘if you go ahead and make the programme that will be the last you ever hear from me’.

I made the programme;  I have not seen or spoken to her for over a decade now - even when I was seriously ill with pneumonia back in 2003 she didn’t pick up the phone and that was the moment I realised I had to let go of any possibility of her ever accepting me back into her life.

The way I dealt with and continue to deal with that rejection is to recognise that I am better off without her in my life even though she is my mother. If she cannot accept me as an HIV positive woman then there is nothing I can say or do to change that. Fortunately I have a great number of friends who provide me with unconditional love and support so I don’t even miss her presence in my life any more.

99% of reactions I have had to my disclosure over the years have been supportive; I think the fear of rejection, ridicule or prejudice is often greater than the reality (or maybe I have just been fortunate).

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 06:56:43 pm »
Rejection and ridicule have not happened to me yet but I would expect at some point in time I may experience that.  My family has been very supportive, although my mom did ask that I not disclose my status here in this small town where we live.  She does not want her friends to know.  That kinda hurts a bit but I understand why she holds that position, so I don't tell her friends.

I was interested in a fella a few months back and things were going pretty well (yes I disclosed to him), but over time our communication and visits became less frequent.  That scenario also happened before I knew I was HIV+ so I am not sure if it can be attributed solely to being HIV+.  I will say that it crossed my mind that me being positive was the reason.  He said he had no issues with it and of course we 'played' safely.  In a way, I felt rejected but I also know that sometimes the 'spark' or 'chemistry' between two people does not last. 

@ Emma - Sorry to hear that your mom has taken that route.  It seems as though you have processed that well (much better than I think I would). 

@ ElZorro - I know how you feel buddy.  They just sorta fall into the deep blue abyss don't they?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 07:12:27 pm »
I was ridiculed mercilessly on a gay (non-HIV) forum (by one person who had a personal axe to grind) for looking "like a walking mummy" when my face first experienced grade 3 lipoatrophy a decade ago.  Twas so brutal the rest of you would have pulled a razor blade over your wrists  ;)  I was traumatized for five minutes, but then thought wtf, this vile queen is still uglier than I am and he can't even blame a fucking virus, not to mention he has halitosis and can't even pull together an outfit.  Amusingly he was diagnosed with HIV a couple of years later and totally freaked out.  Reap, sow... you know the drill.

Rejection after disclosing for dating purposes? Surely there must have been but I can't recall.  More likely they rejected me for saying something inopportune, as I am prone to do.  I reject others plenty for other transgressions so hey, that's just life.

Anyway, I stopped sweating cock when I was 20.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:14:29 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 07:14:15 pm »
@Emma: that's awful and I feel bad for you. I hope eventually your mother will come around and make things right.

Hoover and Hope: thanks, but in one respect, I think I "deserve" to have been subjected to that experience. Not that I'm a martyr or anything. It's just that before this chapter of my life, I was pretty ignorant of HIV and would never have knowingly gone out with someone who was HIV+. I did "date" one guy for a brief period but there was a lot of anxiety on my part; esp in bed. I try my best not to be a hateful person, but ignorance breeds fear and I was ignorant. I'm sure part of my rationalization was there are HIV- people out there so why take the risk. Just last week I had the chance to apologize to one person I didn't "give a chance".

He was way too nice to me about it when he accepted my apology.

What Emma is involved with and what Annie Lennox and others are doing is huge. Whether's it to increase awareness in order to addresss priorties with respect to organizing research or prioritizing funding or to highlight that this virus can be controlled and shouldn't be an impediment to a relationship, it's absolutely needed.

My hat is off to you, Emma! Even in light of the personal sacrifices you are making with your family, you're willing to do what needs to be done. I for one am very greatful. I haven't figured out how I can "make a difference", but I'm working on some ideas.

Bravo!

~Z

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 07:16:00 pm »
I haven't dealt with rejection yet because I havent let myself be in that situation. For me it's something I need to overcome. I try to put myself into the poz arena for dating so I can avoid the disclosure issue. But even in that arena Ive had rejection, but it had nothing to do with HIV.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline WhereIsTheArk

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 07:19:05 pm »
Hmmmmmm..... :-\

Only once for me. It was with a guy a friend had been wanting to introduce me to for awhile. The introduction happened about a month after I was Dx and we hit it off right away. I was still reeling from the Dx and trying to get my head around it. There was a lot of chemistry between us and we were hanging out quite a bit and he was making "passes" but I was just deflecting them as best I could. Finally, one day at the mall, it kind of came to a head and I figured "I need to tell this guy or he's gonna think I'm stuck up or not interested". So over lunch, I just said exactly that, something along the lines of "Look, I don't want you to think I'm not interested cuz I am it's just that I just found out I'm poz". He was pretty cool with it and gave me this "Wow! I totally respect your honesty, yada yada, yada". I remember thinking at that point that "this was gonna be a breeze". Plus, he was a Dr so I figured he'd "get it".

Then, he started asking me a lot of questions and I did my best to answer them. By then, I felt pretty educated about the risks and the value of protection (plus, I was really into him and so I'm sure I overemphasized things could work out).  Fast forward about 3 weeks and the daily multitude of calls slowing dwindled down to none. I don't remember the last time I spoke to him.  :P

I'm sorry you went through that. It's funny how people can reject you in a prolonged nice way, without directly saying that they want nothing to do with you.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 07:24:52 pm »
I haven't dealt with rejection yet because I havent let myself be in that situation. For me it's something I need to overcome. I try to put myself into the poz arena for dating so I can avoid the disclosure issue. But even in that arena Ive had rejection, but it had nothing to do with HIV.

-Will

So the question is, if we're trying to date someone HIV-negative why do we automatically assume that it was our HIV disclosure that caused them to run away?  Ah, because that's the easy out and shifts all of the blame onto someone else, when in fact, the nasty dirty truth is that it might have been a wide variety of reason... you know, like sitting there and jabbering on endlessly about our tedious obsession with our own HIV which of course no negative person is really interested in for more than five minutes.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WhereIsTheArk

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 07:28:21 pm »
The most significant rejection I have faced in all my years with HIV (19 and counting) has been from my own mother. She initially rejected me when I first disclosed to her through her own ignorance and fears (she was afraid I might infect my sisters if I visited our family home); a year or so later I was allowed back to visit though she never hugged or kissed me again.

In 2000, I was approached by the BBC to ask if I would feature in a documentary about HIV positive women. When I ran the idea passed my mother her response was to say ‘Why on earth would you go television and embarrass the family?’; after a few more choice words her parting comment to me was ‘if you go ahead and make the programme that will be the last you ever hear from me’.

I made the programme;  I have not seen or spoken to her for over a decade now - even when I was seriously ill with pneumonia back in 2003 she didn’t pick up the phone and that was the moment I realised I had to let go of any possibility of her ever accepting me back into her life.

The way I dealt with and continue to deal with that rejection is to recognise that I am better off without her in my life even though she is my mother. If she cannot accept me as an HIV positive woman then there is nothing I can say or do to change that. Fortunately I have a great number of friends who provide me with unconditional love and support so I don’t even miss her presence in my life any more.

99% of reactions I have had to my disclosure over the years have been supportive; I think the fear of rejection, ridicule or prejudice is often greater than the reality (or maybe I have just been fortunate).

Emma

That's utterly heartbreaking! I'm soo sorry your own mother has disowned you for being HIV positive. When your own family rejects you like that, it's so painful! I can't imagine. But you are right, you are better without her in your life. And friends are great when it comes to filling such voids. Thank you for sharing!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 07:30:21 pm »
So the question is, if we're trying to date someone HIV-negative why do we automatically assume that it was our HIV disclosure that caused them to run away?  Ah, because that's the easy out and shifts all of the blame onto someone else, when in fact, the nasty dirty truth is that it might have been a wide variety of reason... you know, like sitting there and jabbering on endlessly about our tedious obsession with our own HIV which of course no negative person is really interested in for more than five minutes.

Yes that's an excellent point and one I'd prefer to not have to deal with right now in my life, "Was it the HIV or my bad breath"? I have enough hand wringing to do. At least If it's a pozzie I could assume it was my bad breath.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline WhereIsTheArk

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 07:32:51 pm »
I was ridiculed mercilessly on a gay (non-HIV) forum (by one person who had a personal axe to grind) for looking "like a walking mummy" when my face first experienced grade 3 lipoatrophy a decade ago.  Twas so brutal the rest of you would have pulled a razor blade over your wrists  ;)  I was traumatized for five minutes, but then thought wtf, this vile queen is still uglier than I am and he can't even blame a fucking virus

LMAO! That's a great attitude to have! Good for you!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »
Hugs to each of you that has shared painful stories of rejection .

I have had many rejections but I try hard to remember you never really can know what motivates another person to act as they do .

As an older single man with HIV I have been proactive about learning how to be alone and happy , its not as easy as it used to be to date so I consentrate on the good things like family and friends .    
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WhereIsTheArk

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 07:42:20 pm »

Hoover and Hope: thanks, but in one respect, I think I "deserve" to have been subjected to that experience. Not that I'm a martyr or anything. It's just that before this chapter of my life, I was pretty ignorant of HIV and would never have knowingly gone out with someone who was HIV+. I did "date" one guy for a brief period but there was a lot of anxiety on my part; esp in bed. I try my best not to be a hateful person, but ignorance breeds fear and I was ignorant. I'm sure part of my rationalization was there are HIV- people out there so why take the risk. Just last week I had the chance to apologize to one person I didn't "give a chance".

He was way too nice to me about it when he accepted my apology.

~Z

Nobody deserves to face such rejection. I know what you mean though because before I found out I was POZ, I also held an ignorant attitude towards HIV, and was really scared of HIV because I didn't know much about it other than it was a potential killer! You are a brighter person these days, and what you did prior to finding out your status was only a result of being human. We live and learn everyday!

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 08:03:01 pm »
you know, like sitting there and jabbering on endlessly about our tedious obsession with our own HIV which of course no negative person is really interested in for more than five minutes.

You are right about that Miss P.  I remember being of that mindset before I knew I was HIV positive.  Of course I had friends that were positive but honestly, I did not care to hear about it 'ad nauseam'.   

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 08:15:24 pm »

My ex-wife quit cheating on her husband by having post marital sex (PMS) with me... can't really recall anything else.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 10:49:25 pm »
Yes that's an excellent point and one I'd prefer to not have to deal with right now in my life, "Was it the HIV or my bad breath"? I have enough hand wringing to do. At least If it's a pozzie I could assume it was my bad breath.

-W

I'm so glad that we broke off our engagement.  No amount of biceps can compensate for booty breath.

As far as the original question goes, I guess I'm rather thick-skinned to even notice rejection.  The one manhunt trick who was initially shocked by my status decided to put his fears away and became a bit of a stalking nuisance after we did the deed.

Now, ignorance?  I still see it rather often.  A simple example: a couple of months ago I went on this date from hell (cute guy with pure diarrhea in his skull instead of grey matter; everything that came out of his mouth was simply stupid and self-centered).  I figured that if I disclosed my status he'd freak out and I could make it home on time to catch 'Top Chef: Just Desserts.'  He looks at me and says: "oh, I knew that; I could tell by looking at your face.  But I'm Ok with that, I have sex with poz guys all the time and remain negative to this date."  The blatant ignorance was so disgusting that I stood up, threw thirty bucks on the table to cover my share, and left.  I'm too Ally McBeal for that shit.

you know, like sitting there and jabbering on endlessly about our tedious obsession with our own HIV which of course no negative person is really interested in for more than five minutes.

And this can be very annoying, even if you are with another pozzum.  Happened to moi on another date (not a bad one, just kinda tedious).  This muscle-stud had been poz for about four years and 85% of the conversation during our phone calls and meetings revolved around this virus.  I could not imagine having to deal with that on a daily basis.  We still talk once a month or so, but he got removed from my prospective dating list.

So... rejection and ignorance are bound to happen to all of us at some point.  The key thing is not to obsess over it and move on quickly.  Some humans are simply designed to disappoint.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 11:09:36 pm »
I think the worst rejection because of HIV was from a friend years ago. Alan and I used to workout, bike and basically hang out together. We would get together with our partners and all go out to dinner, movies, etc. The four of us were at dinner one night and the subject of HIV came up. I casually mentioned that my partner and I had been HIV+ for years. Well, Alan was completely shocked, got tearful and had to leave. I didn’t anticipate that reaction at all. I tried calling and emailing but he was obviously avoiding me. His partner eventually told me that Alan “couldn’t handle the HIV thing”, that Alan felt I never should have told him and that he didn’t want to hang out anymore. I was disappointed, hurt and angry. He and his partner moved out of the area shortly after that due to a job transfer and I did get an email from him approximately a year later saying they were coming into town and wanted to go out to dinner. I didn’t respond.

What I really wanted to tell him is that he is a total coward and he had better hope that he never has to deal with anything more serious than a hangnail. If he can’t even deal with having a friend with HIV-- a friend who wasn't even sick-- he couldn’t possibly survive having a partner with HIV or cancer or having a serious illness himself.

I’m not bitter.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 11:15:39 pm by GSOgymrat »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 11:39:49 pm »
I don't think I've experienced rejection--although I haven't told very many people.  In full disclosure, I've not told anyone.  My partner was there when I was dx'ed.  So, I didn't really have to sit him down and tell him.  A nurse disclosed to my brother and his partner.  Other than that, I don't think anyone else knows--unless you include me having to disclose to med professionals, which doesn't really count.  Or does it?  I guess it does, because med professionals can reject you just as easily as anyone. 

The last time I was at my regular family doctor (who I don't see that often), they wouldn't take my temperature.  I even mentioned how I thought I was running a temperature and specifically asked for it to be taken.  My doc said he could tell I was running a temp, because I was hot.  It seemed like they were going out of their way to not take my temp.  I thought surely they don't think I can spread teh AIDS by using the temp machine.  I thought I was just being paranoid, and maybe I was.  I have an appt coming up with him and will see if they refuse to do it again.  If they don't do it when they had always done it before, then I'll have to say something.

As it pertains to relationships, I can only imagine how devestating it would be to really like someone and be rejected.  I can understand the fear people would have and not wanting to deal with that.  It still doesn't make it easier.   

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 11:45:21 pm »
Removed because some memories are too painful to share with others.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 02:07:12 am by killfoile »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 02:29:06 am »
Removed because some memories are too painful to share with others.

I felt I learned more about you and what you've been through from reading the post.  Having said that, I understand you pulling it, so I will not comment more than that.   

Offline WhereIsTheArk

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 05:45:37 am »
I think the worst rejection because of HIV was from a friend years ago. Alan and I used to workout, bike and basically hang out together. We would get together with our partners and all go out to dinner, movies, etc. The four of us were at dinner one night and the subject of HIV came up. I casually mentioned that my partner and I had been HIV+ for years. Well, Alan was completely shocked, got tearful and had to leave. I didn’t anticipate that reaction at all. I tried calling and emailing but he was obviously avoiding me. His partner eventually told me that Alan “couldn’t handle the HIV thing”, that Alan felt I never should have told him and that he didn’t want to hang out anymore. I was disappointed, hurt and angry. He and his partner moved out of the area shortly after that due to a job transfer and I did get an email from him approximately a year later saying they were coming into town and wanted to go out to dinner. I didn’t respond.

What I really wanted to tell him is that he is a total coward and he had better hope that he never has to deal with anything more serious than a hangnail. If he can’t even deal with having a friend with HIV-- a friend who wasn't even sick-- he couldn’t possibly survive having a partner with HIV or cancer or having a serious illness himself.

I’m not bitter.

That sounds painful, I'm sorry you underwent that reaction from him. Sometimes, people need time to adjust, not everything is strong enough to deal with HIV. I understand and respect your decision to not respond to their invitation to have dinner together after that. But, if it were me, I would've looked past the hurt feelings, and give him another chance. It seemed at the end, they finally accepted the fact that you were poz, and wanted to rebuild that bridge. It seemed that he did really care about you since he got so upset when he found out, but he couldn't handle the truth, at that time. Oh well, friends come and they go.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 05:47:18 am by WhereIsTheArk »

Offline WhereIsTheArk

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2010, 05:55:38 am »
The last time I was at my regular family doctor (who I don't see that often), they wouldn't take my temperature.  I even mentioned how I thought I was running a temperature and specifically asked for it to be taken.  My doc said he could tell I was running a temp, because I was hot.  It seemed like they were going out of their way to not take my temp.  I thought surely they don't think I can spread teh AIDS by using the temp machine.  I thought I was just being paranoid, and maybe I was.  I have an appt coming up with him and will see if they refuse to do it again.  If they don't do it when they had always done it before, then I'll have to say something.

I understand how that feels. The last time I was at the hospital, this one nurse, I knew that he knew I was poz because he was sooo nervous to be around me! I saw the fear in his eyes. When it was time to eat, he'd put on latex gloves right before he gave me my food. I was there for an overdose, not for some contagious illness. It was uncalled for, and very hurtful. I thought I was being paranoid too, but something's are just too obvious to mistake.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2010, 11:27:15 am »
Rejection is not something I take very well. My policy in life has always been to avoid putting myself out there as to prevent it from happening as mush as possible. I tend to make an excuse to pull away and then bury myself in work to keep my mind off of things. The risk I run is never really putting my guards down enough for anyone to become close with me.

I know this is the next hurdle in my HIV acceptance that I will need to tackle. I say, and ofcourse its easier to say than do, that it's those things in life you have no control over that should bother you the least. I hope one day I'm confident enough in myself and my life that I can live everyday with enough pride that when rejection rears its ugly head, I can brush it off and see the many other things in life that I have to be grateful for!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2010, 03:20:37 pm »
I think the worst rejection because of HIV was from a friend years ago.

Ford, the first thing that sprang to my mind when reading about your friend's reaction was that he might well have been harbouring fears that he himself was hiv positive and your disclosure brought those fears to the surface. We all know people who never test for fear of a positive result.

And maybe he wanted to go out to dinner with your to let you know that your disclosure gave him the courage to finally go get tested - and he too is poz.

Anyway, that was my gut reaction.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2010, 03:23:11 pm »
And maybe he wanted to go out to dinner with your to let you know that your disclosure gave him the courage to finally go get tested - and he too is poz.

The same thought crossed my mind.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »
Wow, first I want to say that I feel for everyone that has experienced rejection from friends and/or family.  I haven't really experienced rejection - more denial.  Some of the people that I have told (i.e. mom/dad, in particular) choose not to really acknowledge my status - it is a subject that isn't discussed and if I bring it up, they quickly glaze over it and change the subject.  Just their way of dealing with it.

I also agree that there are many negative people who may project rejection but many times this is may be due to their desire not to deal with their own risk factors or the confusing emotions that may come about from knowing someone has HIV that they may be close to.  I also agree that there are some positive people who probably experience rejection from some because they dwell too much on the whole being HIV positive thing - not everyone wants to hear about it 24/7.

Finally, to add just a slight bit of humor - which I hope no one takes offense to -
The most recent rejection I have experienced is when I was masturbating and my hand fell asleep.  That was the ultimate rejection to me.

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2010, 04:57:40 pm »
As I said earlier my friends have been very supportive.  However after I told two of my dearest friends who are partners it seemed that we didn't communicate or do anything together for awhile.  I feared they were rejecting me, so I just sent an email and asked what was up.  I told them right around Christmas and we all had been so busy that we just hadn't been able to get together.  Which was true.  And maybe they needed time to think and adjust, no matter things were quickly back to normal.

it is a subject that isn't discussed

for me I prefer it that way.  If HIV is pertinent to the conversation we all discuss it, but I really try to be the one to avoid injecting it into the conversation, just don't want people to think that I have to talk about being positive.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
Ford, the first thing that sprang to my mind when reading about your friend's reaction was that he might well have been harbouring fears that he himself was hiv positive and your disclosure brought those fears to the surface. We all know people who never test for fear of a positive result.

Given what he had told me about his dating history I doubt it, but you never know. As I said I tried to contact him several times before his partner basically told me to stop trying. The email he sent a year later was very brief and breezy, like nothing had happened. I considered having dinner with them just to hear what he would say but because they had moved out of the area I didn't see the point in putting any more energy into that "friendship".

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.